Painting standard Alloys

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Lfcevans
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Lfcevans »

Hi everyone

Something Im looking at doing in the near future is painting the alloys on my accenta premium. Not really interested on spending Hundreds of pounds on new alloys and possibly new tyres to fit. Im quite happy with the design of alloys wheels fitted but I would like to "upgrade" the colour.

It obviously didn't come with the upgraded alloys of the Tekna etc which I like the look the 2 tone black/silver, not specifically the design of alloy

I was looking at part gloss black part silver as I like the look of it.

Ive searched inter web for how to do it and it seems pretty straight forward I already have the tools, just need the right paint. but just wondered if anyone has done this already on these type of alloys and are they happy with the look.

Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

Don't paint them, take them to a powder coating company and get it done right. It will cost about £60 per wheel or maybe less.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Unless you're very experienced in painting I'd forget it - particularly trying to do two colours!

I presume these are your wheels:

acentapremiumwheel.JPG

They're not designed to be painted two colours. If you look at the Tekna wheels you'll probably see more of a sharp edge between the silver and the black.

I suggest to get a decent finish it's going to be very laborious masking off precisely to be able to spray. That's after a lot of effort even preparing the wheels to be resprayed. And I'd suggest that the end result wouldn't be very hardwearing.

As has been said, get them refurbished professionally in a single colour. What colour's the car?
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

You might find a bargain on eBay - these are £170 delivered:

... and these are £110 collected from Manchester:

Obviously you'd have to check the condition but people are probably upgrading to larger wheels rather than just getting rid of tired alloys.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Qashowner wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:43 am Don't paint them, take them to a powder coating company and get it done right. It will cost about £60 per wheel or maybe less.
I have to agree, if I were unhappy with my tyres I would have them powder coated.
But as Gloucester says, complete sets off auction sites might be the way to go and you would be able to raise a little by selling your old ones
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Lfcevans
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Lfcevans »

Hi. Thanks for the replies
Qashowner wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:43 am Don't paint them, take them to a powder coating company and get it done right. It will cost about £60 per wheel or maybe less.
I see what your saying but thats £240, a bit to much for me atm
gloucester wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:00 am Unless you're very experienced in painting I'd forget it - particularly trying to do two colours!

I presume these are your wheels:
acentapremiumwheel.JPG
They're not designed to be painted two colours. If you look at the Tekna wheels you'll probably see more of a sharp edge between the silver and the black.

I suggest to get a decent finish it's going to be very laborious masking off precisely to be able to spray. That's after a lot of effort even preparing the wheels to be resprayed. And I'd suggest that the end result wouldn't be very hardwearing.

As has been said, get them refurbished professionally in a single colour. What colour's the car?
Yes these are the wheels and the car is black.
Looking at a few websites and Utube videos, the work looks quite straightforward, this bloke has done a few wheels
gloucester wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:07 am You might find a bargain on eBay - these are £170 delivered:

[img]<a class="vglnk" href="https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/xxYAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg[/img" rel="nofollow"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>i</span><span>.</span><span>ebayimg</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>images</span><span>/</span><span>g</span><span>/</span><span>xxYAAOSwnIxidhYs</span><span>/</span><span>s</span><span>-</span><span>l1600</span><span>.</span><span>jpg</span><span>[/</span><span>img</span></a>]

Obviously you'd have to check the condition but people are probably upgrading to larger wheels rather than just getting rid of tired alloys.
I do like the look of those wheels. (If the Quote function works how I want it to )

I was wanting the 2 tone look though part gloss black, part silver

Thanks again for the replies and advice

I will see what crosses my path regarding new rims
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

I'm looking forward to YOUR video! :)