Loss of Power, Limp Mode, No warning lights

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
KingDale83
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by KingDale83 »

Hi Guys, first of all I want to apologise if this has been mentioned a 1000 times but I really am stuck with this issue. Driving home on the M4 last week and all of a sudden the car went into limp mode with no warning lights as I was going up hill. I Managed to drive a few miles down the road and the car regained power all of a sudden (No shuddering or jerking) and this kept happening on and off for about two days until I put some diesel injector cleaner in the tank and that seemed to of done the job. Two days later A friend of mine advised me to change the fuel filter just incase, which he did and we made sure the filter was full with diesel before switching engine on. The car started up fine and away I went only to notice half way down the road the car was making a noise like it was whistling and engine sounded really rough and car went into limp mode (still no warning lights). I managed to pull over and put the old fuel filter back on (incase that was he issue) but im not sure if I put the connectors back on the old fuel filter the wrong way round and the car wouldn't start and I noticed like a bubbling noise coming from underneath the car which my mate said it sounds like I got air in the system. Anyway, we managed to bump start the car and noticed red engine management light was on along with the traction control lights and I managed to drive home about 10 mins away with a top speed of 30mph. When I arrived home I turned the engine off and back on and the lights and skid marks where gone but car still in limp mode and the bubbling noise from under the car had gone. My friend has come round with his laptop and plugged her in but there are no fault codes showing and we really are baffled and I don't really want to take it to a garage as of yet. I did notice that the oil light kept flashing on and off a few times so I will top that up tonight.

Few months ago I only had the DPF changed and the dpf pipes replaced as it was clogged and was giving me the traction control lights permanently on which wouldn't let me set the cruise control but luckily the garage fixed that issue so not sure if that's got anything to do with this new problem

Any help guys ? I would really appreciate any information

gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

Sorry I'm not a diesel expert so can't respond directly.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Qashowner

Post by Qashowner »

Diesel engines on the J11 does not need bleeding so that would rule out air in the system. Do you know what your mate had on his laptop as regards engine fault reading. It may well be something has blown which may not show up a a fault code, if say his laptop only read engine management codes.

You could check the air intake to the turbo, if there is any oil in there it could be running down to Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF)
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
glc22
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by glc22 »

Hey, I’ve literally got the exact same problem at the moment. I had to get recovered today, everything you’ve described is pretty much identical to what’s happened with mine. Did you find out what was wrong and how to fix it please? We’ve been advised it might be the turbo but are a bit sceptical.
lj2606
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by lj2606 »

Hi all, Did you find out the cause for the bubbling noise from the tank? I have this exact issue now and haven't a clue where to start.
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Welcome both to this forum.

As you can see the original poster never posted again :(
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)