Expensive day.

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
nsq741
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by nsq741 »

More of a vent than anything but curious if my issues are common. I'm not technically minded about cars at all.

I have a 2018 Tekna with 25000 miles. Had an advisory on MOT six months ago for brake pads and discs all around (but it passed the MOT).

In the last month a new issue, around 30secs - 1min after starting the engine, the blower fizzles out. After Googling this it sounded a fairly common issue (transistor module) but othere had said it could only be fixed at dealership.

Had the car at dealership today for its 4 year service and got them to look at the blower issue and refill aircon too.

Turned out aircon tank had a hole in it so that needs replacing as well as transistor module.

Also they advise all four brake pads and discs need replacing, all 90% worn and badly corroded. I am a careful driver and don't do any harsh braking.

Total bill £1970.. ouch!!!

Is it me or should the brake pads and discs last a lot longer than this! And the blower issue seems like something that shouldn't have gone wrong also.

nsq741

Post by nsq741 »

Meant to say.. the dealership marked the front tyres as red on the healthcheck report with 2.9mm tread on (quoted me £290 per tyre for the dunlops so told them where to go on that!!).

The back tyres have loads of tread on but they also advised on replacing those with the remark on the healthcheck reading "rear tyres now showing signs of age and small cracks appearing" and they put amber. I'm guessing they are just trying to sell me more expensive tyres here.
andy2019
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 »

air-con parts and gas are always expensive. brake pads front will always wear quicker than the rear ones. and discs soon get rusty after you put new ones on as there exposed to the elements. if you haven`t had them replaced yet i`d get them yourself and find a local indy garage that would fit `em for you would only cost an hours work fitting.
as for tyres get what ever make you can afford just replace the front for now and the rear another year.
Pandjh

Post by Pandjh »

As a reference point, I just had my front pads only replaced at 35000, with rears now being advised as being 70% worn too. No issues with the discs though.

In terms of mileage vs wear I would suggest the type of driving could be a factor to consider as town driving involves a lot more stops than motorway. I'm on the edge of town and do little town driving.
2019 1.3 DiG-T 160 Tekna, black (J11b)
prev 2015 1.2 DiG-T n-tec+, black (J11)
prev 2009 1.5 dCi Acenta, black (J10)
Fujikun

Post by Fujikun »

My qashqai tekna was at the dealership recently for a warranty claim.
They do a free check of the car, he said in the video that my brakes were corroded and pads worn
I service my own cars and checked the brakes only a week before. Discs had rust on outside rim only, here's a pic of the pads below. Garage talking rubbish to scare people into spending.back brakes were same. I'm not saying your brakes don't need doing, but I'd get a second opinion.
As for tyres 1.6 is minimum so yours will be amber but I wouldn't pay dealer prices.

20220508_100000.jpg