68 reg Nissan Qashqai J11b fault code help

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
GoldenboyAl
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by GoldenboyAl »

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone is able to assist here.

I have a 68 reg Nissan Qashqai J11b. The car is under 3 years old, within warranty and had the engine management light on (solid orange - no power loss and fully drive-able). When I connect my OBDII reader the code provided is P16BC. a quick search suggests that code may be "Alternator FR Terminal Circuit/IGP Circuit Low Voltage" although not specifically for Nissan. So may be a red herring?

I have taken to Glyn Hopkin (local Nissan approved repairer) for diagnostics / repair on 4 occasions now.
First visit - they updated BCM firmware
second visit - replaced battery
third visit - updated Ad Blue related software? (wasn't clear what exactly was done on this occasion)
forth visit - replaced coolant temperature sensor

EML persists but without any apparant effects however losing patience with Glyn Hopkin and MOT date closing in.

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

I don't have a look up table for Nissan DTCs. The closest I can get via diagnostics is for a faulty ECM on a R9M diesel engine. Petrol engines could be the same. Generic OBD Scanners won't be any good at this. P160C below is a title/heading for a group of ECM DTCs...about 12 of them. Detection of those requires Nissans bespoke CONSULT Test and Diagnostic tool. Its all Red Herrings without that tool.

Don't think Hopkins should let you drive that car with an EML fault. As a car under warranty I think you should call Nissan Customer Services UK. Hope they have not been pinged off?

P160C
CONTROL MODULE
(Control module)
DTC detecting condition
Possible cause:
ECM function is malfunctioning.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
GoldenboyAl

Post by GoldenboyAl »

Thanks Calnorth. They are taking it more seriously now and the last 2 times i have returned the car immediately and been provided with a loan car. The EML came on everytime within a day - the last time on startup of the car.
It just seems strange that the fault code i get is P16BC everytime but Glyn Hopkin appear to be doing something completely different each time.
I figured this would be a battery related issue that the J11 appears to be renouned for but didnt rectify after BCM update and battery change - I am running software F216. System status is showing 13.06V engine running.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

GoldenboyAl wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:01 am Thanks Calnorth. They are taking it more seriously now and the last 2 times i have returned the car immediately and been provided with a loan car. The EML came on everytime within a day - the last time on startup of the car.
It just seems strange that the fault code i get is P16BC everytime but Glyn Hopkin appear to be doing something completely different each time.
I figured this would be a battery related issue that the J11 appears to be renouned for but didnt rectify after BCM update and battery change - I am running software F216. System status is showing 13.06V engine running.
EML warnings are straight off the ECU so its something serious. Commonly the ECM would put the car into a limp home mode if a critical fault existed. Never seen an ECM play up though...perhaps throwing False Alarms? Intermittency is an issue and they should have followed up on that. Their workshop tool should be able to monitor the ECU behaviour (I/O) on or off road. And that data under analysis should reveal?

The J11b Battery problem was easily fixed with a decent battery like VARTA AGM and correct configuration to the car.
My 67 plate hasn't had a BCM problem and may have experienced a s/w update at service...never a problem though.
Ad Blue and Temp Sensor might be a long shot...of theirs? Not really confidence grabbing is it?

Just wonder if they document what they are finding + doing?

F216 is headunit s/w AFAIK...mines F16A and none of that relates to EML warnings

Don't think P16BC is anything relevant as your scanner is not Nissan specific.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
vladani

Post by vladani »

Just wondering how you solved this? I have exactly the same error.
stavu

Post by stavu »

I also have the same problem. F ... ing Nissan, actually Renault. The error appeared to me a month after the warranty. I will be forever grateful for any helpful information: D
bingthetrucker

Post by bingthetrucker »

I`m having the same issues with my J11b. P16bc fault code.

I`ve had the coolant temperature sensor out and tested it, its resistance is in the stated range. I`ve cleaned the connector out on the alternator, and it is charging the car at 14.8-15.1v. Last year it had a full new adblue tank and controller, and related sensors replaced under warranty. I`ve replaced the battery today for a brand new one, and the fault code remains. i suspect this is going to have to be a main stealer job
2019 J11b Qashqai Accenta Premium 1.5dci 6speed, the dreaded Adblue version,
andy2019
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 »

bingthetrucker wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:42 pm I`m having the same issues with my J11b. P16bc fault code.

I`ve had the coolant temperature sensor out and tested it, its resistance is in the stated range. I`ve cleaned the connector out on the alternator, and it is charging the car at 14.8-15.1v. Last year it had a full new adblue tank and controller, and related sensors replaced under warranty. I`ve replaced the battery today for a brand new one, and the fault code remains. i suspect this is going to have to be a main stealer job
did you fit the batt yourself, as it will need to be programmed to the car so it knows it been replaced. does the error code clear if you hook a code reader to the car ?
bingthetrucker

Post by bingthetrucker »

andy2019 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:21 pm
bingthetrucker wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:42 pm I`m having the same issues with my J11b. P16bc fault code.

did you fit the batt yourself, as it will need to be programmed to the car so it knows it been replaced. does the error code clear if you hook a code reader to the car ?
Yes I fitted the battery myself, but I was told that the battery didn`t need coding to the car. I can`t see how coding it would work, as each battery doesn`t have it`s own BMS, and therefore doesn`t have it`s own "signature/serial no" in the battery itself. As for the second part, my crappy code reader will turn the light off, but the code is stored in the memory and can`t be cleared, as a mate with a snap-on reader has already tried. Hence booking it in at Nissan to see if their gear can sort it for me. If it is a faulty temp sensor or a simple thing to say its had a new battery, then fair enough. If not i reckon its gonna be a lot more serious :(
2019 J11b Qashqai Accenta Premium 1.5dci 6speed, the dreaded Adblue version,
andy2019
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 »

Ask nissan when you take the car in, about setting up the new batt to the car and see what they say (or was it them that said it didnt need to).
Think you'll find its a dodgy sensor somewhere on the car 😬