J10 Wiper Motor issues

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
ColonelSanders
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by ColonelSanders »

Hi all!

Got a 2010 N-tec, had to change the front wiper motor not long after buying as the wipers just stopped when raining. Happened again in the recent downpours we've had, so I took the new motor off to check it out.

When it took it off water just poured out of it, took the top cap off and the insides where flooded, not much silicone at all sealing it.

So I think it's a 50/50 issue of the motor being not fully sealed and I've noticed that with the motor location and drain holes in the cover, it's pretty easy to get the motor wet.

Just wondering if anyone has come across this before before I fit my 2nd new motor (free replacement on warranty). Trying to think of any DIY ideas I can to cover the motor for some added protection, I'm currently sealing it myself before fitting.

Thanks!

Spuriousfish

Post by Spuriousfish »

Can't really help with a DIY solution but my J10 wiper motor died a couple of weeks ago. This was the oem motor. No water ingress that I could see but the drive shaft bearings had worn and it was binding. No sealing around the drive shaft. The replacement I got has a rubber cap/seal around the drive shaft - maybe it will be better.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/D2D-Front-Wipe ... 174&sr=8-3

As you say the positioning of the motor could be better.
ColonelSanders

Post by ColonelSanders »

Hey,

That looks the same as my initial replacement. The top piece with the socket and capped socket on has some give in it, have a look at yours. Underneath that top piece are the insides of the the motor and mine was far from solid, hence being flooded. Give it a little wiggle to check!
mlythaby

Post by mlythaby »

I tried replacement motors and linkage arms and eventually bought the complete genuine unit from Nissan.