rear lights (LED) always on- fixed!!

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
Madmatt

Post by Madmatt »

Hi All,
Just posting for information if anyone encounters a similar problem.

My wifes 2011 J10 rear lights stayed on(LED's and only dim) when leaving the car, no matter what the lights were set to. Red Engine management light came on and only way to get them off was to disconnect the battery. Car drove fine though, brake lights worked when pressing pedal, all other lights worked fine, just rear cluster 'sidelights' wouldn't turn off

Fault codes on a snap on reader were P0504 and P1525. My cheap one showed no codes, also codes would not clear at all. I thought this could be a bad earth some where and be a nightmare, turned out I replaced the brake light switch and it fixed everything. £28!!! engine light went out itself as well, didn't even need clearing.

Old switch looked fine, no corrosion on pins or internal(I took it apart)

Hope this is use to someone in the future

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Neither of those two DTCs come up in Nissan Diagnostics for your car. In fact all Brake Control DTCs are C11xx codes.

Brake Light Sw simply feeds from the Battery (via foot brake) to 3 rear stop lamps...not complicated. It does however signal the Body Control Module for some reason?

Its a bit of mystery and the lights are in each (L/R) cluster..except the Hi Stop Lamp.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Madmatt

Post by Madmatt »

calnorth wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:36 pm Neither of those two DTCs come up in Nissan Diagnostics for your car. In fact all Brake Control DTCs are C11xx codes.

Brake Light Sw simply feeds from the Battery (via foot brake) to 3 rear stop lamps...not complicated. It does however signal the Body Control Module for some reason?

Its a bit of mystery and the lights are in each (L/R) cluster..except the Hi Stop Lamp.
Hi Calnorth

I shouldnt have been so hasty in my excitement. It hasnt fixed it.

Its strange as when I changed the switch all was good, until I went to use the car an hour later. All problems are back. :(

Has anyone any ideas? Both rear lights(Sidelights) are on and wont turn off. Engine management red light on and when i lock the car it flashes fast. My code reader shows no faults stored, but as red light is on am pretty sure the DTC's mentioned above would show up on a 'proper' reader.

Car drives fine, but the traction control light did come on about 20 mins into a drive this afternoon. Went off and stayed off when I turned engine off/on.
Heeellllpppp!! Am driving to Gatwick in the morning and will have to disconnect battery for the week away with business. Will monitor this forum for assistance though.
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

The Tail Light system is rather complicated. It is switched ON/OFF through the CAN Bus system, so not a straight forward/simple switching system as we might expect.

Its computer controlled (CPU) and for some reason the Tail Lights are being incorrectly commanded by this CPU. Fault could be a bad switch on the Stalk or the CPU within the power distribution module (IPDM). Its difficult to diagnose and needs to be properly tested...electrically awkward.

A complication arises as the Stalk switching also processes via the Body Control Module (BCM). Not sure whats happening there

Basically the Tail Lights are digitally controlled and perhaps beyond local auto electricians capability?
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Madmatt

Post by Madmatt »

calnorth wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:49 am The Tail Light system is rather complicated. It is switched ON/OFF through the CAN Bus system, so not a straight forward/simple switching system as we might expect.

Its computer controlled (CPU) and for some reason the Tail Lights are being incorrectly commanded by this CPU. Fault could be a bad switch on the Stalk or the CPU within the power distribution module (IPDM). Its difficult to diagnose and needs to be properly tested...electrically awkward.

A complication arises as the Stalk switching also processes via the Body Control Module (BCM). Not sure whats happening there

Basically the Tail Lights are digitally controlled and perhaps beyond local auto electricians capability?
This is my worst fear.
Where do I start? I changed the brake switch and as above it did fix it when tested, until i went out a 2nd time later.

Have tried disconnecting both switch and battery again but unlike when first replaced the fault isn't going at all. Not anything inside a brake light switch to 'blow' it is there?

I've found people have had the same fault on forums posted a long time ago, but no fix is posted, hence why when i thought i'd found the fix, i did post.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Just praying its not a massively priced module

Matt
Madmatt

Post by Madmatt »

Any suggestions anyone??
Madmatt

Post by Madmatt »

Just another update should people have this issue and found this via search. I used the car to go to Gatwick for a weeks business trip, disconnected the battery and reconnected on my return 7 days later. All problems have gone and over 1500 miles done since. No issues. Strange but hopefully won’t see the problem again. I replaced the battery a week before the issue started so may be a dodgy battery cable? Anyway I’m not going anywhere near the battery now!! Lol
Funkyanimal
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Funkyanimal »

Did you ever fix this issue
Madmatt

Post by Madmatt »

Funkyanimal wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:08 pm Did you ever fix this issue
As my post before, the daily never came back! Suspect bad battery contact? No idea