Plug-in hybrids are a scam and should be banned ! ...

The place to discuss everything else..
QaiFan
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by QaiFan »

What many thought, but were never allowed to say or surely never write ! ...

https://electrek.co/2022/01/13/valais-r ... ncentives/

I, personally, could not agree more.

!!! In many countries these "climate destoyers" are only acquired as company cars to avoid taxes !

OTOH, IMHO, the imminent Nissan Qashqai 2022 1.5l gasoline + battery assisted pseudo-EV looks really interesting and ... honest.

Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

I smell diesel :D
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

Diesel is indeed the better fuel ... little question about that !
Until taxation and bans killed it around 85% of (ordinary) cars sold in my country were ... diesels (Turbo-Diesel in fact).
But Nissan probably knows -even- more than we all do and knows this diesel massacre is going to be complete a few years from now.
However Europe is no longer the center of the universe (never was) and gasoline and diesel are far from dead outside of (continental) Europe.
EV is yet another scam that will cost us dearly !
But YMMV
QashqaiSilver
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by QashqaiSilver »

QaiFan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:20 pm Diesel is indeed the better fuel ... little question about that !
Until taxation and bans killed it around 85% of (ordinary) cars sold in my country were ... diesels (Turbo-Diesel in fact).
But Nissan probably knows -even- more than we all do and knows this diesel massacre is going to be complete a few years from now.
However Europe is no longer the center of the universe (never was) and gasoline and diesel are far from dead outside of (continental) Europe.
EV is yet another scam that will cost us dearly !
But YMMV
I disagree and diesel is clearly the WORST fuel. It is almost as bad as coal imo. Even when I studied motor vehicle engineering back in the 1990's, we were starting to get the early onsalught of the turbo diesels. Prior to this, most diesels were not turbocharged and were clattery dirty noisy monsters. People in the EU only went for diesel purely for MPG, nothing else. The same way for many years we have been sticking with manual transmission instead of traditional slushbox automatics.
The emissions were far worst with diesel and the EU was a scam artist to go and prat on about CO for the reason to get people to buy diesels. In the UK I remember diesel used to be cheaper than petrol, then that changed in the late 90's as people were flocking to diesel cars like flies around dog muck.

If you take a look at the USA, where the people did far more miles, they did not buy diesels in there droves.

As for the plug in hybrids. I do not see the point of them, but I guess some people do.
J10, 2008, 1.6 petrol, Acenta
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

I agree about the Diesel ... emissions.
And indeed people bought those primarily because of taxation (far more on other fuels), just like they buy plug-in hybrids and EVs in Europe (company cars).
Diesel is and was great ... only if you don't car about climate change.
But talking *fuel/power efficiency* (what my reasoning is about, not climate or emissions) I still stand by my opninion ... Long Live Diesel !
Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

Why were so many private taxis in London Toyota Prius's? Plug in hybrids without the need to plug in to get the lower tax and ULEZ standards with ease.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.