Accelerator stuck open on 1.5 dci

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
solar
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by solar »

When very cold and frosty this morning my accelerator randomly stuck partially open and the engine only slowly returned to idle revs when released. Revs went to max several times when clutch depressed. It cleared when warmed up so perhaps ice had jammed some moving part like in the throttle body.

Is there anything around the pedal area or on the manifold that I can lubricate to solve this? Or am I needing new parts?

Am I correct to assume that the pedal just moves a potentiometer and that this potentiometer tells the ECU to move a motor in the throttle body to regulate the engine air intake volume? If so, presumably this fault is either the potentiometer not giving the right signal or the motor reacting slowly due maybe to excess friction in the cold weather.

The other day, also when very cold, I noticed the engine seemed to be firing on 2 or 3 cylinders for short while on start up. But I don’t think this is related to the stuck accelerator. It may be I have a failed glow plug according to error codes I read off it a while back.
1.5 dCi Acenta Premium 2014