1.6 petrol qashqai failed emissions 3rd year in a row

General Information Forum for the J11 QashQai. (Formerly Order Forum)
mbart
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by mbart »

Hi guys,

I would really appreciate your help please.

I have a mk2 2016 qashqai 1.6 petrol turbo qashqai.

The first mot it failed on emissions and luckily was under warranty so Nissan replaced the cat (even though obviously it was highly unlikely it was the cat!!)

Last year was the second mot and again the car failed on emissions - I took the car back to Nissan and they did a software update which made the car pass.

Mot today and has again failed on the emissions. The local garage are continuing with the service (as it’s needed anyway) but if that doesn’t bring the emissions down I am not sure what to do? I can take back to Nissan again I guess but there must be an underlying fault here?

Any help would be appreciated.

The car has done 37k miles and I would guess maybe 12k on the new cat that was fitted 2 years ago.

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

This is extreme really and requires you call Nissan Customer Services and/or local Trading Standards.

The failure relates to faulty combustion and/or faulty exhaust control system. Simple stuff

Is this car consuming fuel in a reasonable way...somewhere in the 35mpg range? No smoke from exhaust?
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

Haven't heard of such an event on any car never mind a Qashqai. I can't recall it ever being discussed on here before.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

I've seen something similar on my 6Cyl BMW some years back. Intermittent over fuel, so very occasionally it would be reluctant to start. At an MOT I watched the MOT tail pipe sensor being inserted and as the engine ran I think it over fuelled briefly. That event saturated their gas sensor requiring a quick change of MOT sensor end piece. That would have been an MOT failure I think if I had not been there?

Apart from the over fuelling my concern was the quick change of MOT sensor piece...how does that fit with the MOT Sniffer calibration certificate?
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
mbart

Post by mbart »

Hi guys thanks for responding

I haven’t noticed fumes from the exhaust and the mpg is around 35 around town

My local Nissan coventry couldn’t fit me in for 3 weeks so I’ve left it 30 miles away and got the train back today - they won’t look at it till Thurs but as it’s failed the MOT I can’t drive it so have dropped off today when I’m not working

Local garage said they haven’t seen this before and obviously stated it is well looked after and shouldn’t be failing in the emissions

Will let you know what they say
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

mbart wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:05 pm Hi guys thanks for responding

I haven’t noticed fumes from the exhaust and the mpg is around 35 around town

My local Nissan coventry couldn’t fit me in for 3 weeks so I’ve left it 30 miles away and got the train back today - they won’t look at it till Thurs but as it’s failed the MOT I can’t drive it so have dropped off today when I’m not working

Local garage said they haven’t seen this before and obviously stated it is well looked after and shouldn’t be failing in the emissions

Will let you know what they say
Apart from some fault "in hiding" I'd be looking at the way your car is being tested. Thats procedural and concerns MOT specific test equipment. If satisfactory resolution does not occur very smartly I'd go to Nissan Customer Services. A written report would be required from the MOT tester and related Nissan dealer.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Could try a different MoT place of course.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
The family taxi

Post by The family taxi »

I have 1.6 petrol 2017 Qashai which has just failed its emissions for the second year running (51k miles driven). It failed last year but was still in extended warranty when I bought the car from Nissan garage second hand. They run diagnostics test and reset the computer? and it passed. It seemed like a fudge if you ask me for it to pass. Move on a year and took it to same Nissan garage for MOT and it failed again on emissions. I told them this happened last year, they looked at their notes and waved the £65 diagnostics fee etc. Again they reset the computer and it passed. It sounds like another fudge if you ask me.
It's almost pleasing to find I'm not the only one experiencing the same problem. I'm already worried the same will happen best year!
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

The family taxi wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:38 pm I have 1.6 petrol 2017 Qashai which has just failed its emissions for the second year running (51k miles driven). It failed last year but was still in extended warranty when I bought the car from Nissan garage second hand. They run diagnostics test and reset the computer? and it passed. It seemed like a fudge if you ask me for it to pass. Move on a year and took it to same Nissan garage for MOT and it failed again on emissions. I told them this happened last year, they looked at their notes and waved the £65 diagnostics fee etc. Again they reset the computer and it passed. It sounds like another fudge if you ask me.
It's almost pleasing to find I'm not the only one experiencing the same problem. I'm already worried the same will happen best year!
I don't understand what they are trying to achieve by (allegedly) resetting the ECU. They clearly are not diagnosing any fault condition thats leading up to an MOT failure. Emissions is a simple problem and should be diagnosed to a faulty component(s).

You should have a report on the MOT failure that you need to take to Nissan Customer Services. Tell them whats been going on.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
QashqaiSilver
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by QashqaiSilver »

Probably cat or lambda sensors
J10, 2008, 1.6 petrol, Acenta