J12 Tekna // Two-tone Ceramic Grey with Pearl Black Roof

Post pictures of your QashQai here!
Sandgrounder
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Sandgrounder »

There has been a nag screen for a few weeks about a 1GB map update.

I’ve just been a for a short drive to let it do its thing and the map update has been applied successfully - I had to turn the engine off and on again twice so the Qashqai could confirm/verify.

Afterwards, I’m sure it did another software update too? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I can confirm these updates haven’t used my mobile phone’s data allowance - it has to be using the built-in SIM card for that. :?

The Qashqai averaged 45 mpg whilst performing the map download 🗺🙄

254C5777-72D0-4628-B6CD-E6E7028921E3.jpeg

Now: 1.3 Tekna DIG-T 158 MHEV J12 ~ LED Front Fog Lights ~ Ceramic Grey with Pearl Black Roof/Grey Interior
Before: 1.2 N-Connecta DIG-T 115 J11B ~ Heat Pack ~ LED Pack ~ Vivid Blue (Sep 17-Oct 21)
Previously: 1.2 N-Tec DIG-T 115 J11A ~ Blade Silver (Nov 14-Sep 17)

QashqaiKev

Post by QashqaiKev »

Sandgrounder wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:34 pm There has been a nag screen for a few weeks about a 1GB map update.

I’ve just been a for a short drive to let it do its thing and the map update has been applied successfully - I had to turn the engine off and on again twice so the Qashqai could confirm/verify.

I can confirm these updates haven’t used my mobile phone’s data allowance - it has to be using the built-in SIM card for that. :?

Is the car usually parked at home connected to your WiFi? I'm still waiting on my QQ, but the way this works on my Focus ST is it will often (and only) download the data when connected to the home wifi. I then get the nag screen to let me know that the update is ready for installation - at which point, I can drive around while it's doing its thing - at that point the data is already there.
Sandgrounder

Post by Sandgrounder »

I believe there is the option to use either the built-in SIM, WiFi or USB. If I select WiFi, the Qashqai says it needs to disable wireless Apple CarPlay so I just let it use the SIM card inside the car whilst that service is still free (3 years?).

For all the updates to be applied, the car apparently has to be stationary with the parking brake enabled and engine running.
QashqaiKev wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:41 pm
Sandgrounder wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:34 pm There has been a nag screen for a few weeks about a 1GB map update.

Is the car usually parked at home connected to your WiFi? I'm still waiting on my QQ, but the way this works on my Focus ST is it will often (and only) download the data when connected to the home wifi. I then get the nag screen to let me know that the update is ready for installation - at which point, I can drive around while it's doing its thing - at that point the data is already there.
Now: 1.3 Tekna DIG-T 158 MHEV J12 ~ LED Front Fog Lights ~ Ceramic Grey with Pearl Black Roof/Grey Interior
Before: 1.2 N-Connecta DIG-T 115 J11B ~ Heat Pack ~ LED Pack ~ Vivid Blue (Sep 17-Oct 21)
Sandgrounder

Post by Sandgrounder »

Tried out the Nissan SatNav today.

The map that’s shown in the digital display is like a local street view whilst the 9" Connect screen shows an overview of the surrounding area.

When you need to make a turn, the Connect screen map splits in two.

The HUD shows directional arrows.

I believe you can activate Google Street View as well? 🤔 :geek:

Just over half a tank of petrol left with a range of 338 miles ⛽️

F5BEAED6-A1D3-4FBD-B36C-FE6731EF02D8.jpeg

Steve101
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Steve101 »

Sandgrounder wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:02 pm Tried out the Nissan SatNav today.

The map that’s shown in the digital display is like a local street view whilst the 9" Connect screen shows an overview of the surrounding area.

What do you think of the screen graphics, in reviews they seem to get some criticism that they look like an arcade game. What are your thoughts?

Steve
Tekna J12, magnetic blue, black roof.
QashqaiKev

Post by QashqaiKev »

Steve101 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:08 pm

What do you think of the screen graphics, in reviews they seem to get some criticism that they look like an arcade game. What are your thoughts?

Steve
Funny fact - Nissan hired Namco (the Japanese arcade company) to design all of the warning beeps and tones that the car makes!

Anyway, you're right about the reviews. It's the one consistent negative. Not that the graphics are arcade-like, but more that they're just dated and not as polished as other cars on the market. Luckily, it is just software, so I'm hoping there will be a future update to bring them visually up-to-date with the rest of the cars sold in the 2020's.
hootintootin

Post by hootintootin »

A real shame that you cannot select that map view in the driver's display all the time and not just when you're being routed to a set destination. Really miss this local streetview.

Hopefully Nissan will add this functionality on a future software update.
QQ Tekna AWD Xtronic ordered Aug 2021and arrived Dec 2021
Sandgrounder

Post by Sandgrounder »

The graphics are far better than my previous Qashqai’s and other cars I’ve owned/seen.

When I use Apple CarPlay, with the Connect screen, it’s just the same as looking at my iPhone.

The digital cockpit graphics are clear enough and the information is legible.

C267AE6F-889D-4CAA-8AB3-2A4AD026C8BC.jpeg

Steve
QashqaiKev

Post by QashqaiKev »

Sandgrounder wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:13 pm The graphics are far better than my previous Qashqai’s and other cars I’ve owned/seen.

When I use Apple CarPlay, with the Connect screen, it’s just the same as looking at my iPhone.

Steve
Carplay/Android doesn't really count as the car is just mirroring the phone screen. The criticism is against the car's built-in interface and in-built sat-nav, which just look old and janky compared to a lot of what is currently available. The digital cluster (while perfectly good enough) also doesn't look as slick and modern as most other cars which offer one).
Sandgrounder

Post by Sandgrounder »

To be honest, I don’t pay a great deal of attention to the digital cockpit as all the information I need is projected onto the windscreen via the HUD, which displays: current speed, drive assist information, steering assist status and any warnings pertaining to speed limits and emergency braking.

Apple CarPlay is my default choice on the Connect screen which also connects to my Apple Watch with haptic feedback and sounds for directions when using Apple Maps as the SatNav. :)

QashqaiKev wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:40 pm
Sandgrounder wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:13 pm The graphics are far better than my previous Qashqai’s and other cars I’ve owned/seen.

Steve
Carplay/Android doesn't really count as the car is just mirroring the phone screen. The criticism is against the car's built-in interface and in-built sat-nav, which just look old and janky compared to a lot of what is currently available. The digital cluster (while perfectly good enough) also doesn't look as slick and modern as most other cars which offer one).