Key fob issues

General Information Forum for the J11 QashQai. (Formerly Order Forum)
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

I had something replaced at the bottom of the steering column under warranty - cured it!
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Malcz86 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:12 pm Yea I know, we get a loud groaning noise when steering at low speeds, first happened a few months after purchase, was told the lower steering gromit had to be greased every 4 years or so, but I was back within 4 months, thats when they told me it was a manufacturers fault and even replacing the entire steering unit wouldn't help. So they were happy to grease as often was needed until Nissan released a fix. I told them at that point Nissan weren't going to release a fix for a 6 year old car discontinued model.
They should carry out the following:
NOISE, VIBRATION AND HARSHNESS (NVH) TROUBLESHOOTING

That is a Nissan Procedure in their Diagnostic documents. Rectification is about parts replacement...not slapping grease around.

You're right there is no post production fix....release

I've experienced BMW steering do similar at low speed...changed track rod arm.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Malcz86
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Malcz86 »

calnorth wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:22 pm
Malcz86 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:12 pm Yea I know, we get a loud groaning noise when steering at low speeds, first happened a few months after purchase, was told the lower steering gromit had to be greased every 4 years or so, but I was back within 4 months, thats when they told me it was a manufacturers fault and even replacing the entire steering unit wouldn't help. So they were happy to grease as often was needed until Nissan released a fix. I told them at that point Nissan weren't going to release a fix for a 6 year old car discontinued model.
They should carry out the following:
NOISE, VIBRATION AND HARSHNESS (NVH) TROUBLESHOOTING

That is a Nissan Procedure in their Diagnostic documents. Rectification is about parts replacement...not slapping grease around.

You're right there is no post production fix....release

I've experienced BMW steering do similar at low speed...changed track rod arm.
Thanks Calnorth,

I've just booked it in for its next grease week after next, will mention that to them.
Now: 1.3 NConnecta DIG-T 158 MHEV J12
Before: 1.2 Accenta Premium DIG-T J11
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

There are several topics on here coming up in a Google search (better than the inbuilt one):

viewtopic.php?t=1905

viewtopic.php?t=3436

viewtopic.php?t=4883

viewtopic.php?t=6027

viewtopic.php?t=6126
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Malcz86

Post by Malcz86 »

Just an update on the key fob issue, I've discovered today that if I press the buttons continually for a minute or so it starts to work. Very strange, going to get the dealership to look at it but not really sure how to explain the issue to them? chances are it won't do it when I'm there.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Malcz86 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:55 am Just an update on the key fob issue, I've discovered today that if I press the buttons continually for a minute or so it starts to work. Very strange, going to get the dealership to look at it but not really sure how to explain the issue to them? chances are it won't do it when I'm there.

You could start by saying the effect is similar to the key fob radio signal being blocked. That can happen if you happen to be near some radio frequency (radiating badly) device either industrial or malicious. Low probability.

Its either that or something wrong within the key fob signalling system to access the vehicle security release system. That is a radio transmit/receive and encoded signal processing system. High probability.

Why pressing the KF button continually might work isn't obvious.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Malcz86

Post by Malcz86 »

Thanks Calnorth,

I assume if there was something nearby blocking the signal I wouldn't be the only one having issues on my street?
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Malcz86 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:35 am Thanks Calnorth,

I assume if there was something nearby blocking the signal I wouldn't be the only one having issues on my street?

Yep...I've had it happen twice in places 300 miles apart. One was my own organisation...Defence Business. The other was likely Industrial and illegal as regards radiation. Rare occurrences really.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Malcz86

Post by Malcz86 »

I've done some testing over the past few days, its hardly scientific, but normally we leave our keys on hooks in the portch in faraday bags.

- First thing I did was remove the faraday bags and left the keys overnight, no change in behaviour.
- I then moved the keys from the portch to a small table just inside the house, only about 5 foot away from where they were before but not right next to the front door and in the main house. They worked straight away.
- I then moved them back into the portch and checked again an hour later, not working
- Moved back into the main house, waited an hour working

I've done this several times now and it appears the issue only occurs when the keys are left in the portch. The portch is considerablly cooler at this time of year then the rest of the house, its not as cold as outside but definitely a lot cooler then the main house. Could the temperature be effecting the keys? or could there be something interfering with them that only just penetrates the front door into the portch and not the main house?
Deleted User 10757

Post by Deleted User 10757 »

Nissan is not the only manufacturer to experience this