Upgrade SD satnav to non-SD satnav

ICE, Equipment, Options
Ianharbron
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:20 pm
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Ianharbron » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:01 pm

Thanks for all that Mark1984

I'm starting to collect all the items now.

Some further questions on the finished install - Does everything actually work?
And I can appreciate if you haven't tried or tested these.

Hands free dialling with voice activation from the steering wheel?
Telephone alerts to the dashboard central display unit?
Road sign / speed alerts to the dashboard central display unit?
Sat nav turn/countdown notifications to the dashboard central display unit?
New Qashqai owner - 2017 1.5 dci

Ianharbron
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:20 pm
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Ianharbron » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:20 pm

Hi Mark1984,

In the list of items their looks to be a connector missing, a grey connector on the 2017 headunit that is not on the 2018/2019 headunit.
Do you know what this is for and how that intergrates into the new plugs - see note 1?

Capture.JPG

Also, the ariel connection - see note 2, I'm assuming you removed the connector from the existing in car ariel and fitted the new connector without an adapter?

I'm also going from a 67 reg with a newer Connect 3 head unit to the newer carplay/wifi/android auto unit.
New Qashqai owner - 2017 1.5 dci

mark1984
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:12 pm
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by mark1984 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:22 pm

Ianharbron wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:01 pm
Thanks for all that Mark1984

I'm starting to collect all the items now.

Some further questions on the finished install - Does everything actually work?
And I can appreciate if you haven't tried or tested these.

Hands free dialling with voice activation from the steering wheel?
Telephone alerts to the dashboard central display unit?
Road sign / speed alerts to the dashboard central display unit?
Sat nav turn/countdown notifications to the dashboard central display unit?
I haven't actually tested voice activation from the steering wheel as there isn't actually a button for it, but you can set soft keys of the new display to activate the voice activation.

The road sign recongnition works, but only when it sees a sign, then if you change road and there's no sign it'll show '---' three dashes until it sees a speed sign. You can however turn on speed sign data on the sat nav so it will display the road speeds it has from the sat nav. But if you use Waze then this will tell you the speed and can beep if you are speeding as well as warn of police and cameras etc.

The built in Nissan sat nav on the newer head unit does display the turn by turn directions on the dashboard display, however it doesn't when using Google maps or waze from andriod auto/carplay, but this is normal.

When getting the J11b head unit, make sure you get one which is setup for your camera system, I had the issue where I had one setup for reverse camera and my 360 cameras wouldn't work, so had to return it and get a different one. Nissan won't reprogramme the stereo, so make sure you spend the time ensuring you get one which is already programmed for your setup as it'll save you money as each time you change the head unit you'll need to get the keys reprogrammed at £60 a go.

mark1984
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:12 pm
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by mark1984 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:28 pm

Ianharbron wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:20 pm
Hi Mark1984,

In the list of items their looks to be a connector missing, a grey connector on the 2017 headunit that is not on the 2018/2019 headunit.
Do you know what this is for and how that intergrates into the new plugs - see note 1?

Capture.JPG

Also, the ariel connection - see note 2, I'm assuming you removed the connector from the existing in car ariel and fitted the new connector without an adapter?

I'm also going from a 67 reg with a newer Connect 3 head unit to the newer carplay/wifi/android auto unit.
Hi Ian,

The connector you highlight in the drawing as 1 is the aerial connector and yes I just removed the pins and reinserted the wires into the new connector style, they are the same, Nissan just reduced the size of the connector.

I've not seen the Connector you've labelled as 2, wasn't on my old head unit, so this could be for extras you may have, but I can't think what... do you have any additional extras with the stereo? How many pins does it have? Are you able to photo the wired plug from the car so we can see the wire colours?

Kind regards

Mark

Okalian
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:20 am
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Okalian » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:42 am

Hi!

I've been through the majority of the thread, captured many ideas and actually started assembling the "kit". I thankfully managed to buy a unit that came with the existing connectors with a good length of wires still attached. Unlike almost everyone though, my existing headunit isn't the older sat-nav one; rather it's the one shown here (nevermind the odd-looking AC module, this is a photo i found online, not my actual car):

front.jpg

I did manage to buy female harness for the car's existing connectors, and I'll have to wire the harness to the new unit's connectors. Here are my questions!
1. Anyone here already did the rewiring for a unit like mine?
2. When i bought the female harness, the seller took it from an existing android aftermarket unit that came with a "CAN-BUS Decoder", he said it can actually be an alternative for recoding the new headunit. Anyone tried this before?

Thanks!

back.JPG


User avatar
gloucester
Posts: 3758
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:04 am
Location: Gloucestershire, England
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:20 am

Welcome to this forum.

Am I right in thinking you're not in the UK? I don't recognise that unit.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07

Okalian
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:20 am
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Okalian » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:38 pm

gloucester wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:20 am
Welcome to this forum.

Am I right in thinking you're not in the UK? I don't recognise that unit.
Correct! Im in Egypt. But cars here are assembled in the UK (obviously with different specs)

User avatar
gloucester
Posts: 3758
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:04 am
Location: Gloucestershire, England
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:28 pm

In the UK the J11 was launched with two ICE units - the lower grades - of which few were sold - had this unit:

Image

... whereas higher trims had the large screen as this:

Image
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07

Post Reply

  • You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post