Upgrade SD satnav to non-SD satnav

ICE, Equipment, Options
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

There's an Around View Monitor Control Unit behind the Glove Box apparently. It appears to receive various inputs from cameras etc and no doubt processes them for the headunit/NAV display.

I suspect this can be configured for different vehicles but needs Nissan CONSULT Test and Diagnostic tool for that.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta

duncho

Post by duncho »

v3excu wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:25 pm Dear All,

Today I replaced the old Sd navigation with a new one that is non SD navigation. But unfortunately I saw that the reverse camera is separated in two. Please see the picture and I would be grateful if someone can give me and advice how to resolve this.

This one is easy. The only thing you need to reconfigure is LHD steering to RHD. See in this video in 13 second:
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
phatboy

Post by phatboy »

phatboy wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:11 pm
v3excu wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:25 pm Dear All,

Today I replaced the old Sd navigation with a new one that is non SD navigation. But unfortunately I saw that the reverse camera is separated in two. Please see the picture and I would be grateful if someone can give me and advice how to resolve this.
Looking more, I actually wonder if you have a RHD unit fitted in a LHD car? As the display looks the same as mine, but the handbrake switch is the opposite side.
This is how RHD looks in a RHD car:

IMG_7757 copy.jpg

IMG_7756 copy.jpg

2018 Qashqai Tekna + DCT Dig-T 160
mark1984
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by mark1984 »

Morning all, this is a very interesting thread and has certainly got me thinking about doing this. I've got the 2017 J11 Qashqai, so it just missed out by about 12 months from having the upgraded Stereo/Sat Nav and the sat nav is something to be desired so Andriod Auto/Car Play would certainly be extremely useful and preferred. Couple of questions on the replacement unit;

- For those that have carried this out, what was it that you specifically asked Nissan to do, just reprogrammed the keys to the car? And what was the quoted cost? I see they have said it was about 30 minutes labour?
- With the new system all working, does the sat nav work and is it able to receive the maps updates? I read that someone had issues with registering the connect for app downloads due to the VIN number not matching, so just wonder if this also effect he map updates over wifi?

I've been looking at integrating Andriod Auto into the existing head unit, but this option of replacement would be much better as I like to keep things as close to OEM as possible :)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

mark1984 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:47 am Morning all, this is a very interesting thread and has certainly got me thinking about doing this. I've got the 2017 J11 Qashqai, so it just missed out by about 12 months from having the upgraded Stereo/Sat Nav and the sat nav is something to be desired so Andriod Auto/Car Play would certainly be extremely useful and preferred. Couple of questions on the replacement unit;

- For those that have carried this out, what was it that you specifically asked Nissan to do, just reprogrammed the keys to the car? And what was the quoted cost? I see they have said it was about 30 minutes labour?
- With the new system all working, does the sat nav work and is it able to receive the maps updates? I read that someone had issues with registering the connect for app downloads due to the VIN number not matching, so just wonder if this also effect he map updates over wifi?

I've been looking at integrating Andriod Auto into the existing head unit, but this option of replacement would be much better as I like to keep things as close to OEM as possible :)

If you're talking about the production Sat/Nav headunit fitted to 17/67 reg cars (J11b) then those are Connect 3 units that have reliable firmware installed....amazingly. No issues but functionality is minimal as in your pre 2017 J11a.

Nothing can be integrated into Nissan J11a/J11b headunits. You will need to buy a non OEM Android/Car Play headunit.....which is discussed on this site at length.

I suspect that Android Auto has not reached full maturity yet...in that "all customer requirements/desires" have not been met to date.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
mark1984

Post by mark1984 »

calnorth wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:19 am
If you're talking about the production Sat/Nav headunit fitted to 17/67 reg cars (J11b) then those are Connect 3 units that have reliable firmware installed....amazingly. No issues but functionality is minimal as in your pre 2017 J11a.

Nothing can be integrated into Nissan J11a/J11b headunits. You will need to buy a non OEM Android/Car Play headunit.....which is discussed on this site at length.

I suspect that Android Auto has not reached full maturity yet...in that "all customer requirements/desires" have not been met to date.
Hi calnorth,

Thanks for the reply, slightly confused as from reading this thread it talks about replacing the J11 head unit with a J11b unit ? or is this not the case and have completely misread the entire thread?

Cheers

Mark
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

I think Calnorth is getting confused between "Android Auto" and "Wireless Android Auto" which his reply seemingly relates to.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

mark1984 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:27 am

Hi calnorth,

Thanks for the reply, slightly confused as from reading this thread it talks about replacing the J11 head unit with a J11b unit ? or is this not the case and have completely misread the entire thread?

Cheers

Mark

I only see the gain being a stable firmware and no increased functionality. If this thread assures a reliable 1 for 1 swap out...ok. A mob phone only works on music (mp3). A near singular Bluetooth profile and no Android functionality. The headunit you describe and is for J11b has a non android bespoke operating system which is heavily limited.

Wireless Android Auto I last saw to be under development..couple of months back.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
phatboy

Post by phatboy »

Hi calnorth,

Cheers

Mark
You are correct, this is about upgrading the "Connect 2" head unit to "Connect 3", in the J11 :)
phatboy

Post by phatboy »

calnorth wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:25 pm

Hi calnorth,

Cheers

Mark

I only see the gain being a stable firmware and no increased functionality. If this thread assures a reliable 1 for 1 swap out...ok. A mob phone only works on music (mp3). A near singular Bluetooth profile and no Android functionality. The headunit you describe and is for J11b has a non android bespoke operating system which is heavily limited.

Wireless Android Auto I last saw to be under development..couple of months back.
I've understood the benefits to be:
- Software upgrade over WiFi
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto support
- Way less clunky