Blower comes on when charging phone

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Andrewf
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Andrewf »

Hi
When I plug in my phone in to charge it the internal fan/ blower starts !! this happens with both ports but not the USB. I notice a post was made of this back in 2017 but no solution was offered .
Can anyone help please ? , one suggestion was it caused a current surge but I assume a diagnostic will sort it .
Any advice much appreciated
Car is 2016 Techna ]

Andrew

lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

its your charger mate either the lead or the actual plug your putting in the socket
lapalmeraie
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by lapalmeraie »

It is you 12V USB plug that you use. Cheap quality chargers make the aircon going mad.
Qashqai J11b 2020 N-TEC - 1.3 DIG-T 140PS
Qashqai J11a Connect Edition 1.6 DIG-T 163PS
Andrewf

Post by Andrewf »

Hi
You are spot on thank you for responding
lapalmeraie

Post by lapalmeraie »

You’re welcome 😉
Qashqai J11b 2020 N-TEC - 1.3 DIG-T 140PS
Qashqai J11a Connect Edition 1.6 DIG-T 163PS
Laurajaneglover

Post by Laurajaneglover »

Need to jump on this as it was making me crazy! I use a genuine Apple charger for my iPhone and the fans go crazy, very confusing
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

How does the USB port affect the Aircon/heater blower? Weird...
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
polaru80

Post by polaru80 »

Same here, bought my 2016 x trail a week ago. Plugged my phone in to charge it today, the air blower goes crazy.... :shock: Unplugged the phone, all good!
I use a quality Griffin charger and quality usb cable, phone is a pixel 6 pro. When I plug the phone into the usb plug it doesn't happen, only when i use the charger, in either of the two 12V power sockets. No fault or any light is displayed / comming on in the car.
This never happened with the Grand C-max I had before. There's definitely something with the electronics of the car.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

polaru80 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:09 pm Same here, bought my 2016 x trail a week ago. Plugged my phone in to charge it today, the air blower goes crazy.... :shock: Unplugged the phone, all good!
I use a quality Griffin charger and quality usb cable, phone is a pixel 6 pro. When I plug the phone into the usb plug it doesn't happen, only when i use the charger, in either of the two 12V power sockets. No fault or any light is displayed / comming on in the car.
This never happened with the Grand C-max I had before. There's definitely something with the electronics of the car.
I suspect the charger is causing a higher than anticipated current draw from what you say. That in turn could cause disruption of the supply to the USB port which may have some linkage to the Heater Blower control. I'm talking about the logic control of the Blower....UP/DOWN buttons on the QQ.

The Blower is under command of your finger via an A/C Auto Amplifier. I have no idea how the powering arrangement is distributed on the cars and how the Auto Amp logic works....so I'm guessing. :roll:

The charger is likely a type of switch mode down converter (12v to 5v). Very common principle but not necessarily of quality. The electronics of the car will be designed to particular limits which doesn't necessarily mean anything can be plugged up to it. USB current delivery is of two levels commonly...either 1A or 2A (A = Amps)
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
polaru80

Post by polaru80 »

calnorth wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:36 pm
polaru80 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:09 pm Same here, bought my 2016 x trail a week ago. Plugged my phone in to charge it today, the air blower goes crazy.... :shock: Unplugged the phone, all good!
I suspect the charger is causing a higher than anticipated current draw from what you say. That in turn could cause disruption of the supply to the USB port which may have some linkage to the Heater Blower control. I'm talking about the logic control of the Blower....UP/DOWN buttons on the QQ.

The Blower is under command of your finger via an A/C Auto Amplifier. I have no idea how the powering arrangement is distributed on the cars and how the Auto Amp logic works....so I'm guessing. :roll:

The charger is likely a type of switch mode down converter (12v to 5v). Very common principle but not necessarily of quality. The electronics of the car will be designed to particular limits which doesn't necessarily mean anything can be plugged up to it. USB current delivery is of two levels commonly...either 1A or 2A (A = Amps)

The interesting thing is that the controls for the internal fan / heating / Aircon ect. are actually fully functional, doing what they are supposed to be doing. As soon as I plug the phone on change the fan starts to blow air on high speed through the windscreen grill. This is kink of separate to the controls of the fan.
I thought it might be caused by a higher than normal current being drawn by the charger, but then the 12V power points in the car should have individual overload protection (individually fused) so any overload should lead to a blown up fuse, not an erratic behaviour of other electronics in the car.
Anyway, I will try and purchase a different charger and also try charging pluging on charge other devices, to see if it behaves the same.
I'll post back with more findings.