J12 : ADAS navigation tech part of TomTom’s Cloud-Native In-Dash Navigation ?

ICE, Equipment, Options
QaiFan
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by QaiFan »

Nissan is making a big deal about what it calls "TomTom’s Advanced Mapping Technology in the new Qashqai".
Nissan’s new ProPILOT with Navi-link driver assistance uses TomTom’s enriched ADAS map.
It is equipped with over-the-air map updates and connected services including real-time traffic by TomTom.
What I am not sure about is whether the Cloud (?) OTA update will be 100% seamless, in other words won't require manual intervention over WiFi, a smartphone and/or USB flash stick (to update the main area TomTom map).
Is this indeed part of the new TomTom’s Cloud-Native In-Dash Navigation system as used by a.o. the new 2022 Peugeot 308 ?
Nowhere I could find does Nissan mention it being part of the new "TomTom Navigation for Automotive" suite, the so called "TomTom new generation cloud-native, full hybrid ... working in both online and offline navigation framework.
The 'new' J12 Nissan navigation UI implementation still looks very old fashion to me !
Does anybody know whether or not, at least part of, this new TomTom 'Cloud Native' Tech made it our the new J12 QQ ??? :?:

Thanks.

https://www.tomtom.com/customers/advanc ... n-qashqai/
https://www.globenewswire.com/news-rele ... shqai.html
https://www.tomtom.com/press-room/gener ... s-arrived/

https://www.tomtom.com/press-room/gener ... s-arrived/

Sandgrounder

Post by Sandgrounder »

Not sure whether it will be an automatic cloud update. All I can find is similar information to what you've found, QaiFan:
TomTom will provide the infotainment system with over-the-air map update technology, automatically updating relevant parts of the map. This ensures that the map is always up to date, with no interaction required from the driver. It detects when updates are available, and downloads and installs them in the background, via various methods such as USB or Wi-Fi hotspot.
Source: https://www.just-auto.com/news/tomtom-s ... n-qashqai/

After 3 years, Nissan will charge customers for the numerous services as follows (prices correct as of July 2021):

Maps & Live Traffic, Remote Control Services, Smart Alerts are available free of charge for a period of 3 years and then available for:
  • £0.99/m (Smart Alerts),
  • £1.99/m (Remote Control Services),
  • £2.99/m (Maps & Live Traffic) depending on model and/or grade.

Screenshot 2021-07-26 140232.png

Now: 1.3 Tekna DIG-T 158 MHEV J12 ~ LED Front Fog Lights ~ Ceramic Grey with Pearl Black Roof/Grey Interior
Before: 1.2 N-Connecta DIG-T 115 J11B ~ Heat Pack ~ LED Pack ~ Vivid Blue (Sep 17-Oct 21)
Previously: 1.2 N-Tec DIG-T 115 J11A ~ Blade Silver (Nov 14-Sep 17)
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

Indeed Sandgrounder, thank you.
"with no interaction required from the driver. It detects when updates are available, and downloads and installs them in the background, via various methods such as USB or Wi-Fi hotspot...."
Still ... "... via various methods such as USB or Wi-Fi hotspot.USB" ... What is 'seamless' about those methods ???
Since the "WiFi Hotspot" is always going to be a paid service and few people may need that (I guess anyway) this leaves us with smartpone and USB ... just like before in the J11 ?
I sure hope I am missing something here because a true always (nearly-)up-to-date mapping service (like AA Google/Waze) is, IMHO, otherwise surely preferable !??
Sandgrounder

Post by Sandgrounder »

I know you asked about viewing Google Maps directions in the HUD previously. I have just watched the English language review of the new Qashqai (Marek Drives/Poland).

He confirms you cannot use Google Maps in the HUD or the virtual instrument display with Android Auto (about 6:35 in on the YouTube video):

:(

393A3A0E-5250-4E7D-8A9E-F6A7520131EE.jpeg

Now: 1.3 Tekna DIG-T 158 MHEV J12 ~ LED Front Fog Lights ~ Ceramic Grey with Pearl Black Roof/Grey Interior
Before: 1.2 N-Connecta DIG-T 115 J11B ~ Heat Pack ~ LED Pack ~ Vivid Blue (Sep 17-Oct 21)
Previously: 1.2 N-Tec DIG-T 115 J11A ~ Blade Silver (Nov 14-Sep 17)
garzooz

Post by garzooz »

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have the new Qashqai (Premier Edition). I did find an auto-update setting for the maps, however I think it relies on wifi because after I enabled this the "update by wifi" in maps is disabled. This leads to me to think its all via wifi and not 100% seamless.
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

@Sandgrounder. "He confirms you cannot use Google Maps in the HUD or the virtual instrument display with Android Auto (about 6:35 in on the YouTube video):"
Indeed !
However I did see (was about the US Nissan Rogue) that mirroring in the Dash using Apple Carplay did seem possible (at least to some degree) ... but it was a music app, no navigation app was shown.
Maybe in-dash nav apps would be possible with Apple Carplay, although I sure doubt it ... otherwise Nissan would probably have made a big deal about it.
@garzooz. Thank you. That -unfortunately- confirms my conviction that Nissan did not really overhaul the Nissan J11b/Rougue infotainmant and in-dash system, but seems to have taken the easy approach of adding to an already existing implementation.
The J12 infotainment system (and UI, Dash/HUD...) does not yet seem to be the newly march 2021 revealed "TomTom Cloud-navigation" system at all.
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Info re the future

https://www.t3.com/news/android-auto-an ... o-your-car

Google used ita I/O developer conference to bring Android Auto to the instrument cluster

Google Maps in instrument display:

Don't hold your breathe awaiting it on a Qashqai though!
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

Gloucester, that is a really interesting piece of information for me!!! Thanks.
This only confirms why Nissan did not, no... Could not implement this feature for Android auto!
But they could have done this for Apple Carplay it seems.
But according to the article few vehicles implemented this feature anyway and in case of android only that one BMW EV!
I do hope the TomTom navigation dash and hud implementation they ported from the Nissan Rogue works fine!
Maybe the few members that are already driving the new QQ can enlighten us?
Thanks again.