First time Qashqai buyer - what should I look for?

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
bazmattaz
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by bazmattaz »

Hi all,

I'm a first time car buyer and I'm super keen on the Qashqai. Our budget can stretch to the 2014/2015 Tekna model. It has to be an automatic and petrol.

I found one close to us for around £9k with 80K on the clock. I'm super nervous about spending so much on a car with 80k on the clock - is there anything i should specifically be looking for? Are the timing belts or anything that need to be changed at this high mileage? The car is 6 years old too - is 80k pretty high for it's age?

Thanks all

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Hi & Welcome. Just a few comments we had a late 2014 Tekna / 6 Speed Manual with the 1,2L Engine. As this year was the Launch year we did have a few problems initially like Electronic Glitches / Battery Problems (get a Varta !) / Air Con (Condenser Quality Problem) and these were all covered under the Nissan Guarantee.

The Condenser Problem is still around and pops up now and then, there was and could also be still a major problem with certain 1,2L engines regarding Oil Useage & Replacement. Regarding the Autobox the Nissan CVT has and can cause big expensive problems and does have problems - Servicing ?

In general we were happy with the QQ and we bought a new Tekna + (Also Happy with), but as usual it the luck of the draw some you win some you lose and as you mentioned the mileage and age needs to be taken into account. Make sure you get hold of and see ALL the QQ Documents, Service History etc ... so at the very least you can get some feedback on its past life eg Rental Car / Company Car etc. A good Service or Checkup would most probably be advised also if bought or an Independent Assessment (but that probably costs) before buying.
If you are interested you could play around with the “Search” Area where there are lots of facts and I am sure you will receive some more feedback from members - Best of Luck Dave 😊
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
bazmattaz
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by bazmattaz »

Thanks so much for your reply. I have since heard a lot of electrical glitches on the Qashqai. Do you know if Nissan fixed all of these issues in their services over time?
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

All I can say is the problems we had were corrected and we had virtually 4 years of trouble free motoring, but our QQ was Serviced by Nissan each year, so if something came up it was addressed - Dave 😉
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken