Diamond cut wheel refurb or powder coating

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
scimitargtc

Post by scimitargtc »

So, 2016 Tekna Xtronic owned since 9 months old now at 41k. Had 2 wheels replaced under warranty due to tyre worm but now 3 of them need various scuffs and scrapes sorting out. I’ve got a quote of £95 inc vat per wheel to fully refurb these 19” diamond cut alloys but the garage has suggested single colour powder coating as it’s longer lasting at a price of £65 per wheel. My quandary is: do I keep the wheels original (will it affect cars value at trade in in maybe 2 years time(privately owned no finance) and accept they WILL be kerbed again in that time or go for powder coating, which will also be damaged if kerbed, but is a less expensive option, and if I go down that route, what colour(the car is met grey)... thoughts welcomed. TIA
2016 1.6 xtronic tekna diesel 130 bhp
1998 4.6 v8 Range Rover petrol auto 225 bhp
2019 Skoda Citigo 1.0 sel green tech 5 dr 75 bhp
2009 Vauxhall Astra Twintop 1.8 petrol sport 2 door 138bhp

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

If I were to powder coat the alloys on a gun-metal QQ I would go for gloss black.

You could keep them standard.
IIRC it possible to buy rubber/plastic wheel rim covers/guards. They are about 1cm wide and stop most scuffing on the wheel rim.
I'd be surprised if someone on here hasn’t already got them on the car to share benefits and pictures.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Scimitargtc, please take a look at this very old post as it will show you information on the wheels, Black Powder Coating and comments on Alloy Gators Rim Protectors - DO NOT fit these as they cause “White Worm” there is an explanation in the post.
Here is a pic of our Giacuzzo Winter Alloys Black on our Metallic Grey QQ to give you an idea of looks - Dave 😉

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5425&start=20

4ED79932-ACAC-440B-9530-ACD28DB9BAFB.jpeg

8553EAED-EC5B-4B58-BBD4-E7CB25AB3DE8.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Here is a more recent comment on Alloy Gators - Dave 😩

“The AlloyGator Wheel Protectors are NOT recommended for machine polished or diamond cut alloy wheels.
​Although fitting the product will provide superior protection against kerb damage, due to existing imperfections in the lacquered wheel surface our product may increase the risk of moisture retention and accelerate wheel degradation.
​Once moisture ingress exists it can potentially spread under the surface of the clear lacquer; you may see examples of this around the centre cap of some machine polished or diamond cut wheels that has been caused by stones flicking up from the road surface.
​Providing there is no minute damage to the wheel surface, fitting the AlloyGator Wheel Protectors will not accelerate damage on its own, however AlloyGator Limited accepts no liability if the product when fitted causes such damage.
​Taking the above into account, we do still have many customers with machine polished wheels, that choose to use AlloyGators to protect their wheels.”

Alloygator | Bedfordshire | Calverts Car Clean : https://www.calvertscarclean.co.uk/alloygator[b][/b]
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
MikeGC

Post by MikeGC »

I hadn’t heard about the potential problem with the wheel protectors

Thanks Dave
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
scimitargtc

Post by scimitargtc »

Cheers all . Wifey has to make the decision as I used to be decisive but now I’m not so sure. . Leaning to powder coating either gloss black or anthracite
2016 1.6 xtronic tekna diesel 130 bhp
1998 4.6 v8 Range Rover petrol auto 225 bhp
2019 Skoda Citigo 1.0 sel green tech 5 dr 75 bhp
2009 Vauxhall Astra Twintop 1.8 petrol sport 2 door 138bhp
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

I would like to protect my Qashqai 20" diamond cut wheels from the very beginning (before it is 'too late').
I do realize the only real protection is to be very careful not to touch anything, but that is simply ... impossible where I live (downtown).
What could, potentially, help a bit protecting the rims ... is there even a safe and effective way to do so ?
Thanks
Deleted User 10757

Post by Deleted User 10757 »

Yes there is , keep your nice wheels for special occasions and when you sell the car , and run a shabby set of wheels at other times :D :D :D
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

@Buffy, indeed ... never leaving the garage is the only option to prevent damage.
In the blockbuster movie "Ben Hur" Massala put some daggers on the wheels of his chariot ... that might help too, I'm sure !
fbgqashqai
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by fbgqashqai »

Diamond cut alloys on the Qashqai are a complete lottery. My car is now approaching 4 years old and I had all the wheel replaced under warranty last year, not a single mark or scratch on them but they got the dreaded white worm starting at the wheel centres. Here I am approaching a year later and 2 of the replacements have started again. I will never buy a car with diamond cut alloys ever again, all bling but in Nissans case very poor quality and they know it. When they changed over the wheels I asked if the new ones would be any different to be told they are the same part number and the service manager shrugged his shoulders when I suggested they would go bad again. I would powder coat them and this is what I will do when they get bad enough to really show.
fbgqashai 2017 J11a N Connecta 1.5DCi in Silver