DAB slowly failing and cuts almost permanently

ICE, Equipment, Options
Stains
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Stains »

Hi everyone,
I've been searching and searching for some guidance on how to troubleshoot my issue with the DAB.
So, I apologize in advance if I missed any posts related to this issue.

My DAB in my 2014 QQ Tekna has slowly been failing for half a year now. and now I get almost no signal at all.
In the dispaly is says loading until it switches to channel not found or something like that.
I've reset the Audio system to factory settings, reloaded all the channels but it's still the same.

I've heard that there could be a grounding issue with the antenna(?)
How do I check that?
The grounding should be to the body of the car, but where?

The car is due for a SW upgrade in the beginning of February, but I doubt that will fix the issue as it has been slowly failing for quite a while now.

If it is not a grounding issue, and not the SW, how do i troubleshoot behind the Audio/navi display?

Could there be something else?

Additional info: in Norway FM and AM is no longer in use, so the only option is DAB+ for radio.
And everything else in regards to the aduio system is working as normal.

I sincerely appriciate any form of guidance regarding my issue as I'm going crazy about it.

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Pity about VHF FM. In UK they are holding back on that...thankfully. I've ceased using DAB in UK because it is very patchy in a car. In a house way above ground is ok..

The connections and an Antenna amplifier are in the roof where the Antenna is placed. You may get a signal strength indication in the Audio/Nav Unit Service Status menus. I'll check later for what that is.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

calnorth wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:35 pm Pity about VHF FM. In UK they are holding back on that...thankfully. I've ceased using DAB in UK because it is very patchy in a car. In a house way above ground is ok..

The connections and an Antenna amplifier are in the roof where the Antenna is placed. You may get a signal strength indication in the Audio/Nav Unit Service Status menus. I'll check later for what that is.
UPDATE:

Two figures within Service Status/Radio/DAB

Field Strength and Signal Quality. The value of signal strength varies a lot. Today I saw -47db and 80 resp.....it varies with location. A DAB receiver will cut sound off if Signal Quality in particular is too low.

Notes

The figure -47db is a gain/loss ratio (db) and for radio signals is almost always negative when directly off-air. The bigger the number the smaller the signal strength is, requiring a booster amplifier. A satellite signal at ground level is about -110db and this gets into the general global noise.

Signal strength here relates to microvolts (millionths of a volt)
Field Strength distribution is governed by the Square Law. Distance is not directly proportional to signal power level.
Signal Quality relates mainly to signal processing errors and will cut sound at a certain threshold...which I don't know.

General radio signal levels (VHF/Phone/Sat) in decibels (db) .

Opera Snapshot_2021-02-.png

Last edited by calnorth on Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Stains

Post by Stains »

Thanks Calnorth!

I was in the service menu yesterday, did not check the signal quality thoguh, however, I noticed that the "Antenna status" said OK.
I will check the signal for sure.

Another thing, while googling I found this product caqmpaign bulletin from Nissan regarding some J11 models stating the following:

"A potential concern affecting the Nissan Connect Digital Audio unit of some Nissan Qashqai (J11) vehicles equipped with a particular specification Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) has been identified.
Nissan has identified that, due to the application of incorrect software default settings, the Nissan Connect Digital Audio may not behave as intended. In this condition, the GNSS may not operate as intended and the driver will experience poor reception and positional performance."

"Following the supplier end of line test the digital audio units GNSS destined for EUR were set to the Russian GLONASS settings instead of the EUR GPS default settings. In this condition, the digital audio NAVI will not operate as intended and drivers will experience poor reception and vehicle positioning performance"

I'm interpreting this as it could be a sw issue on FM/AM/DAB together with the GPS of the car, or am I mistaken?

A SW update will solve this though, but it doesn't explain why my DAB has been working flawlessly for 2 years and then suddenly over the past 6 months the signal has been slowly degrading.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Stains wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:26 pm Thanks Calnorth!

I was in the service menu yesterday, did not check the signal quality thoguh, however, I noticed that the "Antenna status" said OK.

Another thing, while googling I found this product caqmpaign bulletin from Nissan regarding some J11 models stating the following:

"A potential concern affecting the Nissan Connect Digital Audio unit of some Nissan Qashqai (J11) vehicles equipped with a particular specification Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) has been identified.
Nissan has identified that, due to the application of incorrect software default settings, the Nissan Connect Digital Audio may not behave as intended. In this condition, the GNSS may not operate as intended and the driver will experience poor reception and positional performance."

"Following the supplier end of line test the digital audio units GNSS destined for EUR were set to the Russian GLONASS settings instead of the EUR GPS default settings. In this condition, the digital audio NAVI will not operate as intended and drivers will experience poor reception and vehicle positioning performance"

I'm interpreting this as it could be a sw issue on FM/AM/DAB together with the GPS of the car, or am I mistaken?

A SW update will solve this though, but it doesn't explain why my DAB has been working flawlessly for 2 years and then suddenly over the past 6 months the signal has been slowly degrading.

GPS is completely separate from Radio. There is a Radio Antenna pre amp in the antenna base and for VHF FM and DAB only. SW may improve GPS but haven't seen that update before. Your car is the same as mine I think ...2017. No updates for the Audio/Nav box to date...

You'll need to check the Signal Strength and Quality values (as above) in an open area and a built up area (housing?). That is the resultant values picked up by the antenna and pre amp on the roof and transferred to the rear of the Audio/Nav box.

Can you check the SW and HW versions as pic below:

DSC_0032.JPG

1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
blackbox2342
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by blackbox2342 »

Stains wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:26 pm Thanks Calnorth!

Did you ever get this sorted? Mine is doing the same despite working perfectly previously.
Stut99

Post by Stut99 »

Same issue here 2016 model. Fine for the last year and half, but playing up in the last 2 months.

Tried restoring factory settings. Still same issues, DAB channels cutting out often.

Display has restarted a few times recently after DAB connection drops out.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

The radios.....DAB/FM/GPS and as with all receivers (antenna) very close to ground level will suffer:

DAB - Ad Hoc cut out of audio. Is a design feature that detects poor signal quality and cuts audio. Akin to DTV pixelation cut offs.
FM - Radio noise over audio and fade out - common signal strength drop off and from various obstructions....tree canopies etc
GPS - Interrupts due to signal strength (weather). Not often noticeable with such a slow activity system.

All other headunit stops/crashes and reboots requires latest Nissan firmware updates. Does not "noticeably" improve radio(s) reception.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
duncho

Post by duncho »

I experienced exactly the same problem! My DAB+ works only when I drive no further than 10-15km from 10kW DAB+ tower. I wrote to BOSCH, although not much of support received…. I checked the antenna, coax cable, also tried to use DAB+ amplifier from 2018 Qashqai, no change at all. The only left issue was Nissan Connect. I did downgrade from D605 to D554 just to be sure, no change. So I opened the headunit and measured capacitors and some components around STA610 chip DAB+ tuner, but without schematics, not much success. BOSCH didn’t want to share any details, only repair the crap for 400€ fee. Today friend of mine was here so I swapped NC from my car to his, but as Nissan has IMMO based on CANBUS check (BCM, ECU, NC), it popped up with msg SECURITY LOCK.
Long story short, issue is in NC, perhaps some capacitors or STA610 chip which you won’t find freely available on the market.

649C4F2E-903A-4873-BCF8-3C9C3EC696D8.jpeg

A3EBF0FC-A674-4AC7-8C18-39948F260DC7.jpeg

2741A5DD-493E-45C5-9137-6EBDDEC42055.jpeg

41ADD2EF-0652-4921-84F2-D1F0628B36AB.jpeg

64288996-55EE-492A-9810-CF49DA56EA6E.jpeg

0B13AAF3-923A-418F-8395-566A29AC9C80.jpeg

721E0D33-D478-4B2C-89CC-DBE9251F5034.jpeg

6911E7FA-FF5A-4239-A0E8-402EE6AD576E.jpeg

804561EF-8D14-46E3-9C1D-3782386AE676.jpeg

D11B2D33-4D9C-4DEF-9F45-299E087C2B3E.jpeg

Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

IMO its a hiding to nothing. I wonder if Bosch actually have full diagnostic and repair documentation for that unit. Perhaps they have ATE to test to component level but I hardly think its economically justifiable to perform such testing. Looney Tunes if they replace faulty components with aged items from stores or direct replacement of complete new (old) stock boards.

I suppose its justifiable with a punter footing the crazy repair costs. Think I'd bin the junk and onto Android.....
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta