Stop - Start ??

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Mostyn
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Mostyn »

Hi All,
I normally turn my stop start off every time I start the car, but occasionally leave it on so as to check it's working. Lately I've been leaving it on all the time; but it hasn't worked for some time now. does anyone have any idea why the stop-start no longer works?
Thanks

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Not easily because the conditions to operate are wide. Ranging through Air Con status, Battery state, Coolant Temp, ABS status, Bonnet and Driver Door closed, Seat Belt status....faults disable it also which may turn up as blinking engine symbol (lamp).

I suspect headlamps and wipers operating would prevent it. Seems stupid to cut an engine when they are in operation...but?
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Mine hardly ever worked. Even after a new battery was fitted.

The dealership suggested I wasn't driving sufficiently aggressively! Admittedly most driving was in town at slowish speeds.

I believe the root cause is a defectively-designed charging system that doesn't charge the battery sufficiently, and hence the power therein doesn't reach the threshold for the stop/start to kick in.

Conversely the Ignis works nearly all the time despite similar driving.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Mostyn, I can assure you that the new QQ J11B Model with the Varta Battery seems way more stable than the older QQ J11A Model which operated occasionally. Our J11B works every time we use it and as you do, I tend to manually turn it OFF when it first operates, but after a year it still functions perfectly well - Dave 🤫
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Mostyn

Post by Mostyn »

Thanks everyone.
Replies appreciated.
There are no warnings of faults etc.. the car runs like a dream! and I also normally turn the stop start off. Recently left it on; just to confirm it was working, but it's not worked at all since leaving it on. Not to worry I don't really need it.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Mostyn wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:54 pm Thanks everyone.
Replies appreciated.
There are no warnings of faults etc.. the car runs like a dream! and I also normally turn the stop start off. Recently left it on; just to confirm it was working, but it's not worked at all since leaving it on. Not to worry I don't really need it.
If what you experience is a benign problem limited to the Stop/Start function I think I might apply it. Pity its not easy to detect.

Trouble is its not benign...when it suddenly decides to permanently halt the engine? Fools abound.. :shock:

For a petrol engine its somewhere in here:

Screenshot 2020-11.png

Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Mostyn

Post by Mostyn »

Benign Problem? nothing showing in faults etc... SS switch works perfectly, ie - off or on. Diagram shows so many possibilities ; to be honest I don't where half of them are situated..
Mostyn

Post by Mostyn »

OK, I must apologise for my post, Stop-Start not working!
Someone mentioned that if you open the Bonnet (Hood) then close it again it might trigger the SS to work again?
Well I'm pleased to say it worked; Opened the Bonnet then closed it; and the Stop Start has worked perfectly ever since.