Good Decision to Buy Petrol QQ over a Diesel

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

Interesting read over the weekend in the Daily Mail, makes me feel glad I did not pay the extra for a diesel QQ.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... ds-us.html http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... etrol.html http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ution.html
jonceebee2014-08-11 20:11:46
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors

Toffeeggs

Post by Toffeeggs »

Must admit I think you are right. I had been a petrol head for the last 30 years even with the company cars l've had, as it had always been up to me what I could choose with some limits.
When I ordered the diesel back in January, I had my reservations with regard to the car sounding like a Massey Ferguson in a few years time. I was persuaded alot by the salesman stating that the car would be more economical and the noise would not be an issue with this new engine.
I think you did the correct thing. I've been into the dealers and strangely the salesman had gone off to lunch at around 3 o'clock in the afternoon. I went in to see what deal l could get. I will persist and see what l can get.
XTrailQashqaiJuked& nowbacktoQashqaiwithGun Metal1.6Teknacvt
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Jon, that is an interesting find and makes interesting reading as many people buy Diesels for the economical and enviromental advantages but it looks now not to be so. I must say I have never owned a diesel, driven some yes - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Dr_Niss

Post by Dr_Niss »

They don't make AWD in Petrol
J11 Tekna 1.6 4WD Ink Blue Collected 26th September 2014
Zunsport Black Grill. Bonnet protector. Bonnet struts. Dashcam.
Stevethegreatgolfer

Post by Stevethegreatgolfer »

I was highly resistant to diesel for many years in company cars, also believing via good old common sense that diesel must be more polluting than petrol. Now I fund my own car and fuel and because I really, really wanted an Auto, here I am, scourge of the Earth, going diesel.However (Dave) I'm not adding any fuel-consuming extras, so there.........
Storm White Tekna CVT - Collected on 23 August 2014.
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

I wonder how 'bad' these new engines really are? I suspect that we have mixed up in all of this another thinly veiled attempt to simply raise more taxes from us motorists. We already pay more at the pumps and yet it is cheaper to produce and as far I'm aware there has yet to be any differential on the tax levied on the two fuel types? Painted black we're sitting ducks! Bit ironic given that the source of the information comes from an all-white QQ owner brigade (Steve excepted)?
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
F1 Bob

Post by F1 Bob »

Yes, there was a similar article in the Sunday Times Drive supplement and I knew some of this when buying our car but we are saving over £60 a month in fuel alone over our previous Juke 1.6 Dig-t, plus zero road tax (at present).We will never drive the car in London so are not worried about possible increases in TFL charges at a future date. I also have the feeling that Government (Central or local) will find it very hard to tell hundreds of thousands of motorists with new or nearly new diesel engines that they were badly advised and will be penalized with additional charges and taxes. Time will tell.
Pulsar 1.5 dCi Tekna in Bronze
BournemouthQQ

Post by BournemouthQQ »

I used to love diesel engines. The VAG group TDI was an absolute peach which pulled like a train and could regularly get me 70+ mpg on the 45 mile commute home. Slighty less on the way there. That was the diesel summer when people were opting for a 170TDI over the weaker petrol sibling. Then, the turning point, when diesels became a niche buy again.....the DPF. Talk about ruining a great engine. I had nothing but problems with mine and being told to drive in high revs up and down the motorway for 20 mins a week pretty much put the final nail in the coffin for me. That and the blocked dpf causing the engine to regularly shut off as i put my foot on the clutch coming up to a roundabout....goodbye brakes and steering. The new small turbo'd petrols suit my needs. A small commute during the week and then long distances at the weekend. I get over 40mpg on every trip (its getting better with age and my understanding of it) and has all the power I need even when fully laden. If you do a lot of dual carriageway or motorway commuting every day then the Diesel still makes sense, but sticking one in a town car or family hatch and suggesting its fit for purpose is no longer a valid option IMHO.
Black 1.2 Dig-T
fiddler

Post by fiddler »

Same here with me. After numerous dpf issues with my xf I decided for a petrol auto. But as the qq was still only diesel I had to wait to this day. Even there is a substantial price difference of £3000 between petrol auto and diesel. Hope the auto qq petrol is as good to drive as the 1.6 diesel.