Propilot and wet weather.

Forum for the Nissan Qashqai e-Power
oggie1947
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by oggie1947 »

I have used my car all winter in some really wet weather ncluding driving through some not to deep flooded roads and have had no problems whatsoever. A couple of weeks ago I needed to do a long journey which involved using quite a lot of motorway driving. Went to use the propilot function (first time for months) and a system fault message came up telling me to consult the owners manual. The cruise control still worked so it wasn't to big a problem. Whilst away I checked the propilot function several times and still got the same fault message.

Once home again I parked the car and didn't use it for a few days and it also didn't rain for a few days. Next time I used it I tried the Propilot function and all seemed to be ok.

Went out again today along some very wet roads and through a couple of minor floods and suprise suprise the propilot error message came up again.

Can only assume that water is somehow affecting a sensor or something to show this message.

Any one else having this problem or has anyone managed to find the cause and cure for this problem. Thanks in advance.

NickB73

Post by NickB73 »

This is pretty normal on cars with active cruise control and lane keeping. Relies on the camera’s and also radar, so bad weather, lots of spray can effect it. Also can sometimes be as simple as the sensors are dirty and just need a clean.

Nothing to worry about
Squashy2
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Squashy2 »

RbZrRBXl.jpg

2018 Acenta 1.2 DIG-T in Gunmetal grey.
Uniroyal Rain expert 5
Bonnet lifting struts

Previous QQ 2007 1.6 petrol Acenta (102K miles)
Jake Sully

Post by Jake Sully »

oggie1947 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:04 pm a system fault message came up telling me to consult the owners manual
Since it relies on cameras as well as radar, during poor visibility, fog, heavy rain, or cameras/sensors being dirty it will display a message something in line of Feature Unavailable, don't recall the exact words coz it happened with me once on heavy downpour on highway for few minutes, then it went away, but it was not a Fault Message like you say, perhaps get it looked at at the dealer, any faults are stored in the DTC that they can access via OBD and read.
73 QQ e-Power N-Connecta, Viofo 229 Pro
Koolmacher

Post by Koolmacher »

It relies heavily on the cameras ability to see painted white lines on the road without these it will not operate the assisted steering. As for the active cruise that relies mainly on the radar sensor behind the nissan badge on the front of the car.
Jamie307

Post by Jamie307 »

I suggest reading the manual:

To avoid accidents, never use the ICC system under the following conditions:
— During bad weather (rain, fog, snow, etc.).

Do not use the Steering Assist under the following conditions because the system may not properly detect lane markers. Doing so could cause a loss of vehicle control and result in an accident.
— During bad weather (rain, fog, snow, dust, etc.)
Tekna Xtronic ordered April 2023 collected September 2023
Squashy2
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Squashy2 »

I've noticed that during the winter months when the sun is low and bright our cars front collision and lane warning systems go offline, I'm guessing that the front facing camera/radar is overwhelmed by the sun?
Only happens occasionally and when driving with the sun pointing directly at the front?
2018 Acenta 1.2 DIG-T in Gunmetal grey.
Uniroyal Rain expert 5
Bonnet lifting struts

Previous QQ 2007 1.6 petrol Acenta (102K miles)
oggie1947

Post by oggie1947 »

Just thought I would update my post. I have washed and polished the car, all sensors and cameras spotlessly clean, but the error message still comes on when engaging propilot.
I have booked the car into the dealership to be looked at along with a few other bits that need attention. All the other bits are electric based so I'm wondering if there is a bigger problem than first tgought.
Will post update when the cars been looked at.
hootintootin

Post by hootintootin »

Have you checked whether your car is due the recall on the propilot? New steering wheels being fitted. Got to book mine in.
QQ Tekna AWD Xtronic ordered Aug 2021and arrived Dec 2021
oggie1947

Post by oggie1947 »

Just got back from the dealership, and yes its a new steering wheel and a new AV unit (what I call the infotainment system) They did mention that a lot are being recalled for faulty propilots but as mine is not quite 6 months old they were suprised it affected mine.
What did shock me they said that out of warranty the cost would be around the £11k mark.