Engine faulty after dealership left oil cap open

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Lukesky
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Lukesky »

Hi everyone,
I am pretty noob with cars so I have decided to come here to ask for help

Long story short, two weeks ago I sent my car for service in a Nissan dealership. All good, I got the car, drove back home, went to collect the kids and then I realized the smoke coming from the bonnet. Opened it and found out the genius left the oil cap open! The car was a mess, oil all over the engine and everywhere.

Anyway, I called them, and they cleaned up the engine and changed the oil again, they said only a little bit of oil was gone and there was no other issue.

Around 6 days later, I got an engine light warning in my dashboard plus a start and stop faulty message.

I of course called them and on the phone they said it is not related to the oil incident, 100%, if there was something wrong i would get a message in the next 24h not almost one week after the incident. However they said they are happy to look at it and let me know what is wrong

My point is, after what he said on the phone, I am not sure I should trust him! He did not even look at the problem and said straightway there was no way it is related.

By the experience of the members here in the forum, is he right? Or is there a chance it could be related to the oil incident?

Because if it could be related to the oil incident, I will bring to another mechanic, get it fixed and send the bill to them to pay!

Anyway, I would like to hear your feedback.

I have a qashqai 2016 1.2 petrol with 85000km on the clock

Thank you for your help =]

andy2019
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 »

get a code reader on it and see what errors show up. also get the batt checked out to see if it`s on the way out. a bit of oil ofter looks a lot when its sprayed around the engine, guess your lucky you never lost the oil filler cap while driveing around. you may have had them errors show up even if they hadn`t serviced your car, but you`ll never know.
roadster
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by roadster »

If the incidents are related it would most likely be due to how they cleaned up the oil. If an aggressive power washer was used it could easily have damaged some electrical item. The fault code would probably tell you this but if you don't trust what you are told then you should use another garage to get that code diagnosed.