Car needing to downshift in high gears/high rpm.

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Ads8888
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Ads8888 »

Hi all, sorry if this is on the wrong place it is my first time on here. I have a 2013 1.6l petrol qashqai with 70000 miles on the clock. Never had any issues with the car until the last week and hoping someone may know the cause.

The car seems to drive fine in the lower gears and also in high gears on flat surfaces. About a week ago or so I have noticed however that when on a slight slope when in mainly 4th and 5th (but sometimes 3rd gear) the cars info system will indicate to downshift gears when the revs start to get high rather than changing up. It will then just keep requesting to change down each time I downshift. I know on steep slopes this would be normal to use lower gears but these are only gentle slopes which I drive most days and never had the car indicate this before on these.

When it does request to downshift the power does seem to decrease and acceleration is poor. It can on occasion even do this on flat surfaces.

The clutch feels fine with no slippage and also no misfires. I did take it to a garage in which the fault reader was suggesting an issue with the steering alignment which he said on some makes and models can cause power issues if not correct which has now been corrected however the car still seems to be experiencing the issue. Nothing g else popped up reader and showed clear after that and no engine lights have been on. Before the alignment was fixed it did seem to struggle to get above 60mph and wouldn’t go above 2000 rpm in 4th and 5th.

Any ideas to what could be causing the car info system to change down when the rpm is increasing? As I am unsure if that then is reducing the power to the engine automatically.