M9R - Piston Rings DIY

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
Staldantes
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by Staldantes »

Hi Folks, when I bought the J10 it had high kilometerage (420k+).

I knew it was a risk, but I believed myself up to the challenge.

Anyways, within the first year I had lack of Turbo, DPF blocking, and soot getting all the way to the air filter.
So the penny finally dropped that the piston rings must be on their way out.

A simple compression test confirmed this with about 16-18 bar (about 220 psi).
And there was constant positive pressure from the camshaft ventilation pipe (hence sooting the air filter).
So I need to change the piston rings.

My question... do I need to drop or lift the engine out to do this ? ? ?
Out of ignorance I assumed I could do this at home in the garage, however...
I have since learnt that the oilpan may not come out without removing the manual 6-speed transmission.
(are there any dowels stopping the oil pan dropping out when lower transmission bolts removed?)

My plan was to get the timing off, lift of the head, remove sump and oilpan to unbolt the pistons one by one.
Haynes states to remove the timing chain I need to remove the engine
(I did manage to wiggle a new coolant pump in at a squeeze, timing is probably a whole new level).

I have an engine lift so maybe in the long run it will be easier to drop the engine out
(not sure if I lower with the transmission attached can I jack the Qashqai high enough to slide the engine out below :shock: )

Any advice will be the best medicine for my over thinking it.
CHEERS :D

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forums

Let's hope the experts respond.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Fujikun
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Fujikun »

I wouldve thought by the time you buy all the parts you could probably get a decent lower mileage full engine on the bay.
You might wait ages as well for parts for the engine and come across loads of difficulties.
Up to you .
Don't know about the engine probably best to drop the whole front suffrage and 2 people could lift car front over the engine. Not sure if the whole front end comes off like on audis.then push car back.
Staldantes

Post by Staldantes »

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, probably easier to just swap the engine. I think it is a mix of stubborness and curiosity makes me want to do it myself.
So exactly my thinking that I could lower the engine onto a cushioned surface and lift the front over it.
However, if I need to remove the transmission anyway maybe easier to separate mounted in the car and lift out?

I already bought the Piston rings and new thrust bearings, was only about 90 euro (80 quid).
It is really only a toss between time vs. paying a professional. Time is money, but I am in no real hurry ;-)
Youtube is filled with changing oil filters or cleaning the EGR, but nothing of note for piston ring replacement.

I had earlier removed the filter comb of the DPF as it kept blocking (before I knew it was due to the burning of the oil).
But I was leaving a trail of black smoke (of course), especially when accelarating uphill.

I have learnt a lot about the plethora of sensors in the car (especially the silly blockage of the turbo boost pressure sensor in the narrow tube from the turbo).
My journey, before the journey.
Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

Modern engines are much more complicated than the old engines, especially transverse mounted. The gearbox is at the bottom so probably needs removal to get to the crank. It will probably be easier to remove the engine to carry out the work. I recently had a turbo replaced and Youtube shows take the engine out to do the work. Your project is much more involved.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
Staldantes

Post by Staldantes »

Agreed.
I had previously pulled out the Turbo to check (required climbing almost onto the engine for positioning and access),
and getting the CAT out was tricky without removing the engine (needed to remove the exhaust manifold and jenga the CAT out).

The oilpan is the issue.
There are I recall four bolts that attach it to the motor, and not sure if it can be removed in situ if these are removed.
IF the clutch was nearing its end I would happily prefer to take out the whole block (but the history of the car doesn't indicate when it was last done).
I prefer to do the minimum and take the path of least resistance, and leave the engine in.

I prefer older cars, especially my old Triumph GT6 Mk3 where you could sit on the front wheels and work away.
(also have a Calibra V6 that needs a new head gasket, but that will be a really rainy day when I get to it ;-) )
J10hn
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by J10hn »

Try looking at the m9r on the Renault...in particular the vans. I know the body is a completely different vehicle but there might be some info on the piston rings from these.
My guess would be to pull the engine out and work from a pallet but if I were you, I'd give the beer tokens to a garage to do this job, just my opinion though. Good luck