J12- Multiple phone book entries for same phone number when using voice recognition

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
IslandRover
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by IslandRover »

I'm a J12 owner and I am reporting the same issue.

As with the OP, if I used the standard voice recognition and said 'Call Fred Bloggs, mobile' I would then be shown three or four entries. I realised this might be because the phone (I have a Samsung Galaxy S20) might have, over the years, duplicated entries on the SIM, in other phone books and so on. So I went through an exercise of making sure each contact in my phone only has a single entry. I use my Google account to store contacts and the phone happily uses this.

What happens now is that when I try to call a contact, I am shown two entries. Very annoying as this does introduce an extra step, I take my eyes off the road and it defeats the point of having hands free.

My previous vehicle had no such problems and would call Fred Boggs on his mobile number without any further ado. The J12 Qashqai system is very clunky.

I'm going to see if I can remove any downloaded phone book but IMHO, the software should cope with this.

tonythehoolet
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by tonythehoolet »

I am afraid I never found a direct fix to this despite playing with any number of configurations but we find a work-around.. The phones we used are Samsung Galaxy S20 as well so I wonder if this a function of the Samsung OS/firmware. One thign you could try... my wife has turned Bixby on and now when she presses the call button on the Qashqai the voice recognition system talks direct to Bixby which is able to decipher and make the phone call to the identified contact using the intelligence on the phone itself rather than via the Nissan system. It therefore cuts out the Nissan "middleman"
dinkocroley
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by dinkocroley »

It's frustrating when technology doesn't work as seamlessly as we'd like, especially in the car. Having multiple phone book entries for the same contact can indeed be annoying. You've done a thorough job of cleaning up your contacts, so it's surprising that you're still facing this issue.

While you're exploring solutions, have you considered using a service like quackr.io for a different kind of convenience? It offers various features that might come in handy.

Hopefully, you'll find a way to resolve this quirk in your J12's voice recognition system soon.