Connect trickle charge under bonnet rather than in boot?

General / Ordering Forum for the new 2021 (J12) Qashqai
egamar
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by egamar »

Just collected my nearly-new Tekna e-Power. A very enjoyable and informative 50 mile drive home.

I asked the dealer about connecting a trickle charger and they directed me to the battery in the "boot"

The battery IS in the boot, of course, but it would be a lot more convenient for me to connect under the bonnet. I only drive the car about once a week or less and would normally keep it semi-permanently plugged in to a cable permanently attached to the battery (using the ring-fittings provided) .

Could some kind person point me to the appropriate connection points under the bonnet?

Many thanks :)
Tekna J12 e-Power.

egamar

Post by egamar »

Hmmm .... even under the bonnet it's not a good place for a semi-permanent connection.

First you have to remove the fusebox cover, then flip up a cover over the +ve terminal. Then make a permenet connection (ring) to the exposed nut & bolt.

That's all very well, but the fusebox cover is obviously watertight - so where does the damn cable come out from?

I don't think Nissan have thought this through ....
Tekna J12 e-Power.
deccadick

Post by deccadick »

Hi,
We regularly leave our cars, the wife's at home and mine at an airport for at least two weeks and often 3 weeks and have never had a starting poblem with either car and that is often in January.

You obviously have a newish car so I don't see why it is necessary to keep the battery on float charge at all.
Best of luck
egamar

Post by egamar »

Thank you for that. My previous car (a Volvo XC60 - same battery since 2017) would barely last a week (even with the dashcam off) before discharging to the point the "low battery warning" would appear. Maybe that was just that particular car and the Qashqai won't exhibit the same issues.

Thanks VM for sharing your experience.
Tekna J12 e-Power.
Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

If you are keeping you car in the garage, there are a number of alarm sensors you can turn off. Most cars left for a time loose battery power because of the alarm or tracker system if the have one. You can turn off the internal motion sensors as well as the movement sensors via a couple of switches inside the car.

I too have left my QQ for 2 weeks in an open air car park at Heathrow in the winter and it still started. Could be worth investing in a jump start battery pack.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
MikeGC

Post by MikeGC »

I left my QQ for 5 weeks while I was away in New Zealand, a couple of Januarys ago
Started first press of the button.
Parked outside, in the drive the whole time.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Deleted User 16421

Post by Deleted User 16421 »

Hi,
I also leave my e-power in the garage for several weeks.
Before leaving it, I charge the lithium battery to 75%: By opening the bonnet, it forces charging and it takes 10 minutes.
After closing everything, I remove the "extended storage" fuse. You just have to pull it back.
It is described in the user manual. This fuse cuts out all power-hungry functions, except for remote, electric tailgate closing and internal lighting. Once the fuse is normal, everything works again, no missing parameters, the GPS addresses are still there.
roadster

Post by roadster »

On receiving a new or nearly new car it can be a wise precaution to charge the twelve volt battery immediately. Some cars will be fresh off the production line but others may have stood around for a long period in showrooms or parking areas. Intelligent chargers can safely be connected to the post in the fuse-box and won't overcharge. It would be inadvisable to switch the car on while the charger is connected.

Of course if you immediately run the car for a few hours that should be plenty of time to reach a fully charged state although in my opinion a relatively slow rate of first charging would probably extend the battery life in the long run.

I base these comments on my experience with a Rav4 which I bought ex-showroom. The RAV4 only has a small capacity battery and the dealer had to charge it even to get the car out of the showroom. I look forward to direct experience with the QQ sometime next year!