Upgrade SD satnav to non-SD satnav

ICE, Equipment, Options
mark1984
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by mark1984 »

vanginger74 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:17 am My 360 camera issue.

I could never get it to "glitch" before taking it to Nissan like some said. The 360 cameras did pop up for milliseconds when I selected reverse as i started the ystem, but pressing the camera button did nothing.

Since I have had it coded to the car, I can still get the full 360 cameras up very briefly when I start the car and select reverse. But they do not come up again whilst the car is running. Pressing the camera button brings up the settings screen for them, and choosing the second option (can't remember it right now) flashes up blank very briefly then goes back to the menu.

I bought the HU from a breakers 25915 7fw5a, as someone said on here it was one of the numbers that would work with 360 cameras.
As I said, they do flash up briefly, the right way around.

I am wondering if it is the wrong HU. I am sure it was from an N-connecta. Maybe it didn't have the camera pack?

I have checked all the wiring, it is correct and I get a contunuity signal when testing every connection with my meter.

maybe I have tripped a fuse for the camera? I don't know which or where.

Any ideas/help/suggestions gratefully accepted.

As my old HU is now NOT coded to my car, I can't go back to it, so I am staying with this unit for now, with no cameras. I am ok with it like that for a while, at least my sensors are working and I can drive like in the olden days! I would love them back though. If it means a new HU, I am happy to get one and sell the other on eBay. I have asked the garage if they'd do a recode a bit cheaper as they know what they are doing now and it only takes 30 mins. Will see what they say.
I’m afraid you have the wrong HU, well it’s configured wrong from the factory and although with the Nissan software from the garage it can be reconfigured, they will not as the ‘engineers’ don’t really know what they are doing unless they have a manual.

So, what you’ll need to do it get another head unit but you need to know what the cars camera setup was and make sure it matches the same as yours.

Then, unfortunately, you’ll need to get Nissan to redo the key reprogramming to unlock the head unit again.

I had the same pain, and it was an expensive and annoying learning.

vanginger74
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by vanginger74 »

Ah bugger
At least I know. There's no rush to find a new one I guess, and make sure it's right.
Hopefully they'll do it cheaper this time!

I might mention to the guy that they may be able to do it and see what they say.

Thanks for letting me know

So it's not just model number? Need to see what it's come from too?
mark1984

Post by mark1984 »

vanginger74 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:52 am Ah bugger
At least I know. There's no rush to find a new one I guess, and make sure it's right.
Hopefully they'll do it cheaper this time!

I might mention to the guy that they may be able to do it and see what they say.

Thanks for letting me know

So it's not just model number? Need to see what it's come from too?
Nah the units are pretty much all the same, just different firmwares I believe. But they are configured at the factory for what camera setup they need and it can be changed but Nissan wouldn’t do it, they’ll say they’ll have a look and charge for the time but then be nowhere closer. There is a video somewhere on YouTube of someone doing the change, as you can also change the whether it’s left or right hand drive as that effects the camera display
vanginger74

Post by vanginger74 »

Ah right I'll have a look

Seen the Consult 3 software online, but not sure how safe that would be!
vanginger74

Post by vanginger74 »

Good luck. I hope yours works. Let us know how you get on.
From what @mark1984 says, it sounds like a couple of wires but hopefully you get yours up ok.
Rogue1 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:44 am Wow, this is amazing!
More than likely tomorrow I will have some time to complete my last step, connecting pin 51 to the maplight unit.
We will see if it works.

I will try and take some pictures to help you solving the 360 camera issue, as the harness I have is using pin28 and 29, so just I need to check for you, which pins they connect to. Then I think it should work for you as well, because the head unit you have can do the 360 cam thing.
vanginger74 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:09 am Just going to put together some of the advice I have found on here to encourage others to have a go, with some updates. I hope these help some people and give them the confidence to have a go too. Thanks to everyone who has shared everything so far, and I have reposted in here to bring it together.

Head Unit :
I got this (possibly the wrong one for 360 camera? I need to find out more, any help gratefully accepted) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385421253835 25915 7fw5a

Map light / microphone Unit :
(needed to have phone calls without echo, a noise cancelling mic) I got this from ebay : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314315313357 NISSAN QASHQAI COURTESY LIGHT INTERIOR ROOF 26430HP13B J11 2014 - 2021

Connectors/Plugs :

Nissan Qashqai Aerial Plug - GT13SHB-2/1S-HU - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304891234722
LEEWA Car Rear Camera Reversing RCA Video Convert Cable For Nissan Classic Sylphy 2019 Original Monitor Connection Adapter #6087 - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3303239 ... 18026jyheT
Car Electronics Parts For Renault Dacia for Opel Vau-xhall 24 Pin Auto Adapter Rear View Camera Connection Cable Mayitr - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000793 ... 18026jyheT
FEELDO 1Pc Car CD Audio Stereo Wiring Harness Adapter For Nissan/For Subaru/For Infiniti Install Aftermarket CD/DVD Stereo - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3227645 ... 18026jyheT
FEELDO 1PC Car Audio Stereo Wiring Harness Adapter Plug For Nissan/Infiniti OEM Factory Radio CD #FD-3995 - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3227685 ... 18026jyheT

These come as cables that need dismantling, you are not using them as they come. You can use the wire if you remove the pins properly, and then rewire according to the diagrams, using the plugs/sockets. You will have 2 left over that you don't need.

Tools :

Trim removal kit, i got this : https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MJQFLDL/ ... 81_TE_item
Pin removal kit for plugs/sockets - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JZ39JTG? ... ct_details

Brief steps (it's well worth reading all the pages of this thread, particularly the newer ones)

Remove the pins from the plugs and sockets, keep the double ended wires. This should be exactly the amount of wires that you need to rewire it
Rewire according to the attached diagrams
M186 and M187 are the new sockets (female) that are going into your new HU
M48 and M49 are the pins (male) that are going to connect to the existing sockets in your car
There is some crossover between the connectors as you'll see on the images
Somewhere on here I read that 2 wires needed running from the new map light / microphone unit. I didn't have 2 pins spare for what they suggested, just one. I ran just one wire and it works perfectly. Most suggestions on here said one wire too. If you look at my map light picture, there is a yellow wire running away from the rest, to PIN 51 on M187. The map light pic that shows TWO wires (Pin 51 and pin 59), I never used the pin 59 wire. I already had something in the connector on the maplight, and it works fine.
When wiring the connectors, I messaged a couple of posters on here (thanks for your help). Both seemed to originally have the same issue as me, confusion as to which way around the diagrams are.
M48 and M49 (the male pins connecting to the existing cables in the car), the diagrams are as if you are looking from the PIN side, the plastic guides should be pointing DOWN (ie.. as you are looking at it, the top should be perfectly flat)
M186 and M187 (the female sockets going into the HU) - these are from the WIRE side, with the plastic clip facing UP, the bottom side should be perfectly flat as you look at it.
If you look at my photos, you can see I tried to label them in sharpie and made a few mistakes!
Once all wired up, you are ready to go

Removing the Head unit. Takes about 5mins, easy. - first 4mins of this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-zvaSh ... nnel=iceze

COnnect your cables up, plug in the other existing cables (GPS etc). Swap the old aerial connector for the new one.

Put everything back together and head off to Nissan for the keys (take both!) reprogramming!
I used the Nissan site to email about 5 local garages, I just said I needed the keys reprogramming. 3 or 4 came back to me, one said they couldn't do it when I mentioned the radio. The others were all fine although didn't know if it would work but I'd still have to pay. Prices were from £102 to £130 (although that included a car wash!!). I went to Cars 2 in Wakefield for £102. Took about 30 mins, he came back surprised, and said it worked!

It does work great, a far better system than the old one.
1 issue as mentioned - speed signs from the map do not pass over to the dashboard system, only from the cameras when it sees one.
Someone said when they turned off ignition, they lost Android Auto, this hasn't happened to me. It keeps running until I disconnect/open the door.
I've lost my 360 camera.. see next post.

Next step
I'm looking at a couple of Android Auto wireless dongles to save connecting up, and using the wireless charger that I already have in an air vent in the car.
vanginger74

Post by vanginger74 »

Deleted
vanginger74

Post by vanginger74 »

I have a head unit now that has definitely come from a UK QQ with 360 cameras.
Can anyone confirm that if I get this coded to the car, then the 360 cameras will work?
That's my impression from this forum but the Nissan dealer guy says it's unlikely! However they said they can't change the settings in it using Consult 3+ and also were surprised that coding the keys sorted the radio coding! So i don't hold out much for their knowledge.

On a side note, if anyone needs a newer Headunit for the QQ but doesn't need the 360 camera options, message me! That head unit is coming out.
mark1984

Post by mark1984 »

vanginger74 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:20 pm I have a head unit now that has definitely come from a UK QQ with 360 cameras.
Can anyone confirm that if I get this coded to the car, then the 360 cameras will work?
That's my impression from this forum but the Nissan dealer guy says it's unlikely! However they said they can't change the settings in it using Consult 3+ and also were surprised that coding the keys sorted the radio coding! So i don't hold out much for their knowledge.

On a side note, if anyone needs a newer Headunit for the QQ but doesn't need the 360 camera options, message me! That head unit is coming out.
Provided it’s definitely come from a car with 360 cameras then it will work. It’s exactly the same issue I had. Dealer ‘Technicians’ aren’t very knowledgeable to be honest, if it’s not in a workshop manual then to them it’s not possible.

Put the head unit in and try glitching it, I can’t remember exactly what I did, but think it was press the radio button then the menu button and keep doing that and sometimes it would get passed the locked screen.
vanginger74

Post by vanginger74 »

I'll try thanks. I did see some posts earlier about glitching.
Couldn't get my current one to do it but maybe because it didn't have the cameras.
The new one had a pic of the car it came from which had cameras in the mirrors and they were selling the front camera too so should be good!
Thanks again for your help
czenik

Post by czenik »

Ok, so another happy qashqai user here :)

I replaced my old radio (with SD card QQ 2014 Tekna) to the new one (from 2020 broken QQ Tekna). Was looking for the same spec as I have - with 360 camera and P/A.
When I started with cable crossing I was a bit confused as there was no numbers on the connectors and the images were not clear from what side I should look. Then I realised it should be from the back of the female connector so when I was doing male connectors I put the females into it for a better understanding. Mind I was after a bottle of wine :D Maybe this will help someone...

I managed to glitch the radio and this is how I done it:
start the car, turn off the radio completely (looong press on the button), then put the gear in reverse, camera will switch on on the HU and from that moment radio is open to use.
I even start my car on reverse gear now as you have to press the clutch down and HU is going straight to the camera mode - unblocked.

I still have to go to Nissan for keys reprogramming, make the USB cable for Carplay and Microphone stuff (no needed at the moment). Just done the switch last night.
As all people said here I can also confirm it is much better HU than the previous one.

IMG_5174.jpg

IMG_5176.jpg

IMG_5175.jpg

IMG_5177.jpg

Big thank you to all you guys for a great work!