Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Doylo

Post by Doylo »

Mystery leak!!

Anybody
else encountered this problem?

Opened the
rear passenger door on Saturday morning and there was about 3 or 4 pints of
water on the carpet. We drive the car on to our driveway which is quite steep and
the water was forming a small pool in the well behind the passenger seat.

I soaked it
up with a few towels and contacted our local dealer who said to bring it in on Monday.

Sunday morning
had the same amount of water again both nights it had rained very heavily.

The dealer
had the car in and couldn't find any leaks although they didn't do a test with
the car at the angle it is on our drive.

When I got
the car home I parked the car on the drive and asked my son to sit in while I hosed
it for 5 mins and there was no sign of any leaks or water on the carpet. I then
decided to wash the car after which I opened the rear door to see a small pool
of water about £ a pint in the well.

Any
suggestions or ideas where the water is coming from would be much appreciated.
1.5DCi Tekna Storm White 19in Silver Ibiscus Alloys, Illuminated Side Bars, Crossover Pack, Chrome Premium Pack, Black Body Mouldings, Mudguards, Chrome Wing Mirrors, White Alloy Gators

AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Usual suspect in this sort of thing is the sunroof.I don't know how the QQ drainage holes work for a "none opening" roof like this.Can you reverse in to the drive and see if the problem doesn't occur or the water ends up elsewhere?
Nissan no more...
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

On the evidence it seems that when others are involved nothing happens, yet when you're there there are varying degrees of liquid (is it water) in the seat well, behind the drivers seat. Is there something you're not telling us? As I recall you went out late one night to check out the iPhone connection.
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
ippopy

Post by ippopy »

It looks for me like one of door seals passing. There must be leak path along the door frame down to floor. See if you can readjust that seal.I had a similar problem with other car and water found in the boot. It was one of screw seals on the back of number plate missing.When comes to those leaks is always something stupid.The other thing it might be something to do with rear window washer and line which comes to it. Water probably would smell differently but I don't know what you are using for this application .
ippopy2014-04-09 13:36:36
Doylo

Post by Doylo »

[quote="AlleyCat"]]Usual suspect in this sort of thing is the sunroof.I don't know how the QQ drainage holes work for a "none opening" roof like this.Can you reverse in to the drive and see if the problem doesn't occur or the water ends up elsewhere?[/QUOTE]]
There is no water anywhere else the only thing I can possibly see is maybe some stain marks on the panel between the front and rear door.Not keen on reversing the car on as the water will find its way under the front seat and well in the passenger side causing more carpet to be damaged.
1.5DCi Tekna Storm White 19in Silver Ibiscus Alloys, Illuminated Side Bars, Crossover Pack, Chrome Premium Pack, Black Body Mouldings, Mudguards, Chrome Wing Mirrors, White Alloy Gators
Doylo

Post by Doylo »

[quote="PeterL"]]On the evidence it seems that when others are involved nothing happens, yet when you're there there are varying degrees of liquid (is it water) in the seat well, behind the drivers seat. Is there something you're not telling us? As I recall you went out late one night to check out the iPhone connection.[/QUOTE]]
Def rain water not me checking my iphone!! lol
Doylo

Post by Doylo »

[quote="ippopy"]It looks for me like one of door seals passing. There must be leak path along the door frame down to floor. See if you can readjust that seal.I had a similar problem with other car and water found in the boot. It was one of screw seals on the back of number plate missing.When comes to those leaks is always something stupid.The other thing it might be something to do with rear window washer and line which comes to it. Water probably would smell differently but I don't know what you are using for this application .
[/QUOTE]
Thanks I will mention that to the dealer they will have to do more investigating.Def rain water with no smell to it and it is only happening when it rains as you say it is probably a door seal.
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

Im going to be radical and crazy and just say hand it back to dealer and remind them that stain needs removing or replacingDont care what angle cars at but this is Uk it rains a lot and its a fair comment new cars shouldnt leak like thatby amount you state the water must come off roof so either roof seal or door either way its not acceptable and who cares how long it takes all you know is next time it happens you ring dealer tell him to get over with a courtosey car lol
Doylo

Post by Doylo »

[quote="Donkey"]]Im going to be radical and crazy and just say hand it back to dealer and remind them that stain needs removing or replacingDont care what angle cars at but this is Uk it rains a lot and its a fair comment new cars shouldnt leak like thatby amount you state the water must come off roof so either roof seal or door either way its not acceptable and who cares how long it takes all you know is next time it happens you ring dealer tell him to get over with a courtosey car lol[/QUOTE]]
Dealer is having the car back on Friday and they are going to drive it on to ramps to replicate how it is parked on my drive and set a hose up to soak it for a while.Hopefully they find the problem and I will feed back to the forum!!
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

That sounds fair enough - as you have said on many occasions you have a good dealer and that's why you bought from him - why give the poor guy grief?
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.