Insurance

Forum for the Nissan Qashqai e-Power
Teds
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Teds »

We have just received the renewal quote for our e-power Tekna and it has more than doubled. The Qashqai was new in June 2023 but the insurance company provided a calculation of the price we would have paid if we had insured for the whole year. The price hasj ust about doubled. We have not had any claims or convictions which would affect the price. I did a couple of on-line checks to see if the quote could be bettered and it couldn't - at least not for the same level of cover. My insurance company seems to classify this model as an electric and include insurance for the charging point. The alternatives that I looked at did classify it as hybrid but they were more expensive.

Have others had similar pricehikes when insuring their e-Power Qashqais?
Current car Qashqai E-Power Tekna, previously Skoda Karoq SE 1.5 DSG, Seat Leon 1.2 DSG

NickB73

Post by NickB73 »

Same with all cars, motor insurance and house insurance across the board have doubled in price.
andy2019
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 »

Yep common problem. Its due to the cost of the parts. Paint etc these days.
MontyB52

Post by MontyB52 »

Check if changing your job & mileage does anything.
Plus hope you not adding breakdown as your new Qashqai will include 3 years AA or RAC cover (as long as you keep it serviced).
When mine comes up for renewal I usually check Admiral insurance & it it’s cheaper then call my current provider (AA) & tell them I have a cheaper quote, every year they always somehow manage to give me discount to get it down to either the same or better than the other quote…I don’t tell them who the other quote is from, but do try to match cover.
72 plate E-Power N-Connecta in Burgundy 8-)
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Post by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX »

Hi.
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you wish.
Regards,
Dan.
Dave296

Post by Dave296 »

Teds wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:09 pm We have just received the renewal quote for our e-power Tekna and it has more than doubled. The Qashqai was new in June 2023 but the insurance company provided a calculation of the price we would have paid if we had insured for the whole year. The price hasj ust about doubled. We have not had any claims or convictions which would affect the price. I did a couple of on-line checks to see if the quote could be bettered and it couldn't - at least not for the same level of cover. My insurance company seems to classify this model as an electric and include insurance for the charging point. The alternatives that I looked at did classify it as hybrid but they were more expensive.

Have others had similar pricehikes when insuring their e-Power Qashqais?
Try LV insurance. Current insurers (AA) put a 105% hike on last years premium. Most of the quotes from comparison websites (Compare the Market Go Compare etc) were also up to 90% more.
Searched on LV website and got mine for just a 25% increase and a 20% increase for my wife's 5 yrs old Peugeot 2008. Both cars insured for less money than quotes for mine alone.
Teds

Post by Teds »

Thank you for the responses. It looks like I am not alone is facing a major price hike. I am currently with LV= and they have been very good (we have house insurance with them as well). I think I will stick with the quote that have now and renew next week.
Current car Qashqai E-Power Tekna, previously Skoda Karoq SE 1.5 DSG, Seat Leon 1.2 DSG
MilesKelley
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by MilesKelley »

That's quite a shocker to see your insurance renewal quote more than double, especially considering your Qashqai is still relatively new and you haven't had any claims or convictions. It's frustrating when insurance companies base their calculations on factors that seem arbitrary, like classifying your model as electric and including insurance for the charging point.
Additionally, websites like https://www.insurancecloud.co.uk/services/gap/ might offer valuable insights or alternative insurance providers that could offer better rates for your specific situation.
Last edited by MilesKelley on Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roadster

Post by roadster »

I was in the unfortunate position of having to renew my insurance just a few weeks before my QQ was due for delivery. So I took great care to choose an insurer offering a reasonable administration fee for changes and even free changes if carried out on line and thus went with Churchill. Unfortunately when I actually came to make the change on line there was an increase in premium of a ridiculously large amount. At this point I tried go-compare and that very same company came back with a far lower offer for an entirely new policy. I then rang them up and this resulted in a surreal conversation where I was first told that the lower quote was due to it not being "Comprehensive" cover and then that I could not be given a quote to change car on my existing policy ( no reason given !). At that point I gave up and asked for the existing policy to be cancelled on the change-over date. This was handled surprisingly smoothly and I got a fair refund with no administration fee.

I ended up with a cheaper AA policy but what is the betting it will all change next year!

There are very few genuine insurances brokers able to work in the interests of clients for car insurance any more.
MontyB52

Post by MontyB52 »

I’ve been with AA for a few years now, every year I get their renewal, go online & see if I can find a cheaper price, then I give AA a call & every time they somehow manage to get their renewal price down to either the same or very close. Over £100 off the quote one year. I do also ask them what if I increased the excess slightly (£50-100) & it only brings the quote down £5-10 so tend to leave it the same - £10 cheaper but have to pay £100 more in excess, not worth it.
72 plate E-Power N-Connecta in Burgundy 8-)