Hybrid fault

General / Ordering Forum for the new 2021 (J12) Qashqai
Mammabear
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Mammabear »

Hi looking for some advice. Got our J12 in March 22. Beginning of June, warning message appeared saying stop/start system not working and to contact dealership. Contacted dealership, they said we could still use car and booked in 2 weeks later. Diagnosed issue with hybrid system, booked in 3 weeks later for repair (early July). At early July appointment, cannot fix as they identify part required and long waiting time to get part. Part comes in end July but next available repair appointment isn’t until next week. In the meantime, weather gets warmer and we notice air con isn’t working at all. On reflection I don’t think the start/stop system has ever worked since we got the car-I just put that down to car being cold, shorter journeys etc. One seat belt clip at back is also continually disappearing into the seat making it difficult for kids to get seat belt on. Dealership have ‘fixed’ both times but only resolves for a couple of days.

Complained to Nissan mid-July. They didn’t get back to me for weeks but eventually called last week to say they were closing complaint as repair now booked and it will all be done under warranty. They did say I could go back once repair has been completed but they didn’t seem too bothered about the whole thing. I’m hopeful that the repair will be completed next week. But I’m still really unhappy about the length of time it has taken, the repeated times car has been in for repair (with hassle of time off work etc) and the fact that we’ve not had the benefit of working hybrid when fuel costs are so high and air con when the weather is so hot. The repeat issues with the seat belt are annoying too!

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to handle this with Nissan? I think I would like some sort of compensation as I just don’t think a brand new car should have these sort of problems and take so long to fix! But maybe I’m being unreasonable and should just be happy that it’s getting fixed under the warranty. Although I like the car, this has totally tainted my experience with Nissan (had a QQ before this one) and I doubt we will get another :(

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

I could be wrong but is a Stop/Start fault an MOT failure? If so they need to change the car till its fixed.

Despite that I would be mighty peeved to be driving around waiting for a fix in a very unreliable NEW car.

Their support obligations are very poor
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Mammabear

Post by Mammabear »

Thanks for your reply. Peeved is probably an understatement! I’m not sure about MOT but I’m even more annoyed if they should have been giving us a replacement all this time!
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Mammabear wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:10 am Thanks for your reply. Peeved is probably an understatement! I’m not sure about MOT but I’m even more annoyed if they should have been giving us a replacement all this time!
The UKGOV MOT list doesn't include the delightful S/S device and IMO we are better off without it. Unnecessary cost and added complexity really.

Its existence certainly concerns me because of its ability to control the engine...ON or OFF. And is why I thought it might be MOT trouble (safety)
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Mammabear

Post by Mammabear »

Ah we had it on our last QQ (J10 I think) and I didn’t mind it to be honest. It did save on fuel. That being said, with the J12 the stop start not working seems to have been a symptom of the overall problem with the hybrid system! So frustrating! I love the car especially the tech and the colour pack we chose but the ongoing issues have been a real down point :(
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

Hi,
Does this fault also apply to the manual/MT6 version or is it CVT related
:?: ?
Mammabear

Post by Mammabear »

It’s the manual version.
Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

Surely if the stop start system is not working on a hybrid, the car will not run on electric because the engine is running all the time even when the batteries are fully charged.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
MikeGC

Post by MikeGC »

Qashowner wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:59 pm Surely if the stop start system is not working on a hybrid, the car will not run on electric because the engine is running all the time even when the batteries are fully charged.
As far as I’m aware the Qashqai never runs on electricity as (I understand it) there isn’t an electric motor.
The battery discharges into the starter motor to assist in extreme acceleration, allegedly. This mild hybrid thing is some sort of tax/marketing con in my humble opinion.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Mammabear

Post by Mammabear »

I’m not sure exactly how the hybrid system works. All I know is that I’m getting error messages every time I go in the car and the issue hasn’t been fixed for weeks despite the car being new and two trips to the garage (with all the hassle that entails)! The air con not working has been the biggest issue the last few weeks and apparently that is linked to the stop/start&hybrid issue!