Oil at Delivery

General / Ordering Forum for the new 2021 (J12) Qashqai
Graviton
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Graviton »

Just had my Qashqai delivered.
On checking the oil at delivery I was told the cars have a special oil in them from the factory to avoid problems should the vehicle be parked up for months before it gets sold. This oil is essentially clear so pulling the dipstick means it is quite difficult to see the oil on the dipstick except by using say a paper towel to show how far up the stick the clear oil reaches. I was told this oil is changed for ordinary oil at the first service after a year.

So I would just like to ask - is this indeed correct ? Is this normal for a new car at delivery ? Should I be relaxed about driving the vehicle for a year with this clear oil in it ? Should I get an oil change to ordinary oil done sooner than at 12 month service ?

MikeGC

Post by MikeGC »

Welcome to the forum

I haven’t heard this before
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
hootintootin

Post by hootintootin »

Given the extended waits for new cars really can't see any sitting long on a forecourt.

Never heard of this before. Might be true or might be dealer with sunstroke talking out of their proverbial backside as they are sometimes known to do.

Mines approx 8 months old now still on the original oil.
QQ Tekna AWD Xtronic ordered Aug 2021and arrived Dec 2021
Graviton

Post by Graviton »

I also ask, are there any running in requirements ?
Again I asked the Nissan delivery guy and he said no - none whatsoever.

Car was delivered with 6miles on the clock.
Graviton

Post by Graviton »

PS Car was a direct delivery rather than bought through a dealer. So my comments reflect what the delivery driver told me. He worked for Nissan and said the vehicles coming out of the UK factory in Sunderland are then taken to Leicester for processing/distribution. Said the clear oil was less viscous. Clearly at present vehicles are not spending months on a dockside anywhere, but I guess in normal times they can do, and the factory will use a standard process.

Unfortunately I have the ‘old style’ central lcd screen despite it being a 22 car. Delivery chap claimed anyone wanting the new screen was being faced with a much higher price than I paid as 1) list price has been raised and 2) discounts off list have been much reduced by Nissan now the new car has been through its launch year. I take this with a slight pinch of salt as partly patter. I asked about the screen prior to delivery and was given a somewhat cryptic reply rather than yes or no - so expected disappointment on this.
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Graviton wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:43 am
Car was a direct delivery rather than bought through a dealer.

You mean you bought it direct from Nissan? Didn't know that was possible...
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
MikeGC

Post by MikeGC »

Graviton wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:24 am I also ask, are there any running in requirements ?

That’s not quite accurate.
The handbook is quite clear about the first 1000 miles.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Graviton wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:24 am
I also ask, are there any running in requirements ?

Page 217:

p217.JPG

(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
hootintootin

Post by hootintootin »

From what you've explained your delivery driver is like many people I've met who like to talk and usually talk rubbish. OK so he works for Nissan, so he says, but in a role as a delivery driver rather than in technical support. Why not ring Nissan and ask if that's who you bought the car off?

As posted above all the necessary running in requirements are in the owners guide which proves what crap that delivery driver was talking about. Did you get one with the car? There is also a Nissan app that gives great guidance on how to use the car.
QQ Tekna AWD Xtronic ordered Aug 2021and arrived Dec 2021
Graviton

Post by Graviton »

Thanks for responses so far.
Yes I have owners manual so will consult and have downloaded a Nissan App (virtual reality - you have to point it at controls/knobs in the car), not sure if that is the one you are referring to.

Did find it odd the delivery guy said nothing about the oil until I opened the bonnet and started to pull the dipstick. I tend to be wary of what people say - too many people seem to speak without proper knowledge or try to tell you what they think you want to hear.

Thanks for running in guidance extract - it would be nice if they told you WHY you need to adhere to those constraints. I am wondering whether it would be best to get an oil change after 1500 miles or so. Not sure if new engines shed any debris these days or are test run during manufacture.

(Never had a brand new car before - this may be the only one in my life. I guess like many that ordered last year the difference between nearly new and new was so small then that it seemed a reasonable decision. Its a Tekna 158PS.)