DPF regeneration process

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Bgmick
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Bgmick »

Unfortunately it cannot read egr or cat temps on nissan diesels . Torque app had an addon for kia to read custom pids to give the info but no support for nissan . It is a shame as I would like to know when regeneration is happening as I don't mind putting on extra miles to know it performs fully and correctly.
2013 jj10 4wd 1.6 dci

duncho

Post by duncho »

Bgmick wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:18 am It is a shame as I would like to know when regeneration is happening as I don't mind putting on extra miles to know it performs fully and correctly.
If you want to know when regen takes place, it is possible without OBDII reader
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
RVW

Post by RVW »

So how does the Nissan DPF regenerate? Injecting extra diesel, injecting something else, just raising the temp? Not found any info anywhere on how it does it. Even the stealer won’t tell you.
J11-2016 QashQai Tekna 1.5dci Magnetic Red
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

For the J11 models, I believe there is just extra diesel injected if required. There are no other additives required.
RVW wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:58 am So how does the Nissan DPF regenerate? Injecting extra diesel, injecting something else, just raising the temp? Not found any info anywhere on how it does it. Even the stealer won’t tell you.
RVW

Post by RVW »

Daewar wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:07 am For the J11 models, I believe there is just extra diesel injected if required. There are no other additives required.
RVW wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:58 am So how does the Nissan DPF regenerate? Injecting extra diesel, injecting something else, just raising the temp? Not found any info anywhere on how it does it. Even the stealer won’t tell you.
Yes I understand that but how and where is it done? Through a separate injector into the exhaust? Increase in diesel in the injector system which could wash down into the oil.etc etc
duncho

Post by duncho »

DPF regeneration is done by post fuel injection in order to increase temperature of exhaust gases. Below is all about DPF regeneration from ESM:

DPF (DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER)
The DPF filters up to 99% of the soot particulates that have not been filtered out up to this point. These particulates consist essentially of aggregates of variable size. The quantity of particulates and their composition depend on:
• The combustion process (an homogeneous air/fuel mixture minimizes particulate formation)
• The quantity of diesel (increasing the cetane index limits the number of particulates formed)
• The post-processing efficiency (only filtration allows the particulates to be removed efficiently)

The DPF is a porous structure with channels set out in such a way as to force the exhaust gases through the chamber walls. In normal operation, DPF captures all the particulates emitted by the engine and so fills up progressively. It therefore becomes necessary to eliminate all the accumulated particulates, which is done by combustion (regeneration).

REGULATION OF TEMPERATURE BEFORE DPF
Regulation of the exhaust gas temperature before DPF is needed to complete a secure regeneration. This strategy uses both exhaust line injectors and late post injections (fuel injectors). ECM computes the fuel mass flow injected by injectors (post injection) according to several parameters:
• Exhaust line temperature before DPF
• Atmospheric pressure
• Intake air temperature
• Differential pressure of the CSF
• Minimum level of fuel
• Engine speed
• Engine torque

DPF Differential Pressure Sensor
DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) pressure sensor is connected to DPF with tubes (upstream and downstream). DPF pressure sensor measures the difference between the exhaust pressure before and after the DPF. DPF pressure sensor converts the difference pressure into a voltage signal. ECM receives the signal and estimates the amount of particulate matter in DPF.

Thermoplunger
The thermoplunger is installed to the engine coolant line and directly warms up engine coolant. ECM transmits a thermoplunger operating signal to the thermoplunger control unit when engine coolant temperature is low. The thermoplunger control unit applies power to the thermoplunger according to the received signal and warms up engine coolant. In addition, ECM activates the thermoplunger during DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) regeneration and increases electric load for get more engine load to perform normal DPF regeneration.
ECM controls thermoplunger based on the following information:
• Engine coolant temperature
• Battery voltage
• Engine speed
• Alternator load

RVW

Post by RVW »

Thanks I think I understood all that😳🙃
RVW

Post by RVW »

So is this system better than the urea injection or the add blue systems?
duncho

Post by duncho »

It’s not about whether better or worse. AdBlue is used to decrease NOx in exhausted gasses. To comply with still stricter EURO emission standards, use of AdBlue is one of the options to minimize NOx polution. There are also other alternatives, but they are more expensive to implement.

Bgmick
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Bgmick »

duncho wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:16 am
Bgmick wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:18 am It is a shame as I would like to know when regeneration is happening as I don't mind putting on extra miles to know it performs fully and correctly.
If you want to know when regen takes place, it is possible without OBDII reader
Please tell me more ? I have the 1.6 dci r9m in a jj10
2013 jj10 4wd 1.6 dci