Oil light flickering

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Loader
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Loader »

Hi all, hope you can help.

I have a Nissan Qashqai 2010 1.6 diesel. While driving it yesterday, the oil light started flickering on and off but only when the revs were around 1000.

If driving along normally ir would be off. If I was stopped though or if pulling away etc it would be on.

What could be causing this and could it be fatal for the engine to drive like this?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

The oil light is an oil pressure light. If that is coming on then it either suggests you are low on oil, a faulty pressure sensor, but could also be an indication that something is wrong, such as the oil pump, blocked filter/oil way

First thing... check your oil level and top up as required and see how it goes. In addition, when was the car last serviced, is it overdue?
If it comes on again and you know you oil level is right, then it maybe a trip to a garage!

Running low on oil, or low oil pressure is not immediately catastrophic but could result in increased ware to the engine and turbo.
Loader
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Loader »

Supposedly serviced not long before I got it. However I don't trust them fully, could just have stamped the book to loom better when selling it.

Oil is pretty much where I should be will top it up just a touch and see if that does the trick I suppose. Will post the outcome tomorrow.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

If its within the mix/max lines then its fine, and to be fair, even if you are below the max line, there is often still enough to keep the pressure up. Topping it up to the max line wont do it any harm, but probably wont solve the issue you are having, assuming you are above min!
warch

Post by warch »

It is quite unusual for modern engines to wear out to the extent that the oil pressure warning comes on. I'd change the pressure sensor and see if that cures it.
2007, Qashqai, J10, 1.6 petrol
2011, Qashqai, J11, 1.2 dig petrol
kostaspo
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by kostaspo »

Loader have you found the problem;
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum

Loader is unlikely to respond seeing as it's over 5 years since he posted last.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)