Battery problems

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Glenn1961
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Glenn1961 »

Hi, RAC called out twice in the last month first time flat battery charged up,ok for last three weeks until this morning had to call out again said the problem why the battery was flat again was caused by open diode in alternator, boosted and started again had to use car today 15 miles down the road engine management light came on briefly for 15 secs, booked in for service in 3 weeks Nissan said they will look at problems then can't wait that long never know when it will start or not, any thoughts on what to do next, ?

trythat

Post by trythat »

We bought a small battery pack for about £40 as we had the battery go flat. We had to wait 2 weeks to get in, but they did change the battery and do a couple of recall things (that we received nothing via post).

I did tell them that I thought having to buy a booster and having to use it over 30 times was very poor. But I did look up the price of a new battery and it was £170.
Glenn1961

Post by Glenn1961 »

Hi mate, mine let me down again yesterday, have you had any more problems since having a new battery ?
montimar

Post by montimar »

Trithat, You should recheck the price quote for a new Battery. I had a Nissan approved and main dealer fitted one last year Total cast £59.
That was the cost of a new Battery which the dealer fitted for free.
April 2014 Acenta 1.6 Xtronic Blade Silver
Gel

Post by Gel »

£59 sounds far too cheap; understand that new batteries have to be coded to the car on J11qq's. However, if yours is 2014 model, why wasn't it covered under your Guarantee.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

Had a flat battery on my 2.5 year old Qashqai last week. The first and only problem I've had with it apart from the well known air cleaner housing rattle that I sorted early on. Called Nissan Assist and they sent a contractor out within an hour and got it going. He advised that the battery was probably faulty. Phoned dealer and they acknowledged a pattern of batty issues and asked me to phone Nissan Assist again to get the RAC patrol out to fit a new battery, which they did next morning. No quibble. No hassle. Job's a good'un.
Maverickuk2017
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Maverickuk2017 »

Had my new Qashqai 1.5 n-connecta since Jan 2017 and around 6k...no problems. Called Nissan to check out a few things last week. Bent isofix, poorly fitted seatbelt and dodgy satnav instructions of late (would take me up and off ramp and back down the other side etc)

The took it in. The guy said voltage was a bit down after his 15 mile run, so he charged battery up!! Also said satnav been reset as some would go dark screen. And I thought all was ok.

Took it for 150 mile run yesterday daytime. Stopped for ten minutes to get a pizza take away...battery was flat. No warning or anything.....stop start only worked once on trip, which was unusual in hindsight. Managed to restart it after a 20 minute wait with nothing on to drain battery.
As usual Nissan hard to contact. Saw these forums and thought I'd call RAC.......came out and checked it thoroughly and said it was an open diode in alternator. Now just try and tell Nissan that!!! I wont hold my breath, will keep you posted. Battery is same make/model you guys have

RAC result after battery test, which was all fine. Then plugged it into computer and did a deep test of system, which I'm not sure many would:
Battery Test Results
Battery Test
Battery Manufacturer: FIAMM
Rating of battery tested: 720EN
Chemistry of battery tested: ENHANCEDFLOODED
Rated Ah of battery tested: 70
Smart charge: Yes
Battery Test Results
Time: 16/10/2017 19:37
Temperature: 16.1°C
Measured voltage: 12.39Volts
Measured rating: 332EN
Reserve capacity: Good Reserve
State of health: 60%
State of charge: 69%
Test Result: Serviceable Recharge
System Test
Jump pack used:No
Starter Avg voltage: 11.46Volts
Starter Avg current: 12.4Amps
Starter result decision: Normal
Alternator voltage (unloaded): 14.32Volts
Alternator voltage (loaded): 14.4Volts
Alternator current (unloaded): 0.5Amps
Alternator current (loaded): 5.5Amps
Charge acceptance test performed: No
Diode decision: Open Diode
Alternator test decision: Normal
First drain test voltage: 12.4Volts
First drain test current: 0.4Amps
Second drain test voltage: 12.71Volts
Second drain test current: 0.2Amps
CharlesAC
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by CharlesAC »

Just had a battery fail on our July ‘17 Qashqai with automatic transmission. Breakdown recovery identified “total battery failure”. Car restarted drove straight to Local Nissan Dealer in Southampton who replaced battery within 45 minutes. I note the reference to a “bad batch” of batteries in 2016. Clearly this is an on going problem which the dealer doesn’t seem to want to talk about.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Guys, I have asked this question in other places, sorry if you think its a repeat.

Have you noticed an increase in fuel consumption prior to the failure?
Davidd

Post by Davidd »

Hi All,

The car wouldn't start this morning, RAC came out and said the battery was completely empty, the wattage was so low it couldn't be recharged so i've spent £206 on a replacement. He said that as cars are all computerised these days the battery doesn't last as long.

It's a 64 reg with 26k miles on the clock, is 3.5-4 years an acceptable lifespan for a battery or is this a potential failure i should be following up with Nissan?

Cheers
Dave