Speed limiter and engine warning light

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Terryteabag

Post by Terryteabag »

Speed limiter and speed control stopped working. Unfortunately fix only lasted about 150 yards up the road when it failed to work again and the engine warning light also came on.
Engine printout showed the air flow sensor was faulty and once the garage got the part the fault was corrected and all has worked well ever since. The sensor is right on top of the engine and must be one of the easiest parts to fit. Advised it was just a 5 minute job plus the diagnostic testing etc.
Otherwise very pleased with the car.
Regards
Terry
July 2015 1.6 dCi Tekna 130 Xtronic Gun Metallic

Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

Interesting. My cruise control and speed limiter stopped working on Friday - the air flow sensor may be a useful pointer for the dealer to investigate. Thanks.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Hound

Post by Hound »

I've just been out and plugged in my OBD-II diagnostic reader and extracted a fault in the ECU:

P0096 - Powertrain: Intake Air Temperature Sensor 2 Circuit Range/Performance

IAT Sensor 2 is part of the Turbocharger Boost Pressure Sensor;

IAT2.jpg

This might also explain the three occasions when the engine fan has run for several minutes after switching off the engine although it wasn't hot.

I'll check nothing's obviously loose under the bonnet but it looks like I'll be phoning the dealer tomorrow. Still, at least it's easily accessible.

sensor.jpg

Sounds like precisely the same issue as you, Terry, on a car of exactly the same age and spec (and colour!)
Hound

Post by Hound »

Update: Sensor changed at dealer for a Bosch version and all is well. Thanks to Terry
who pointed me in the right direction and to the excellent Mr D for extra assistance!

sensors.jpg

Rhamdy

Post by Rhamdy »

I have the same problem with my car. Had engine warning light on. Checked with OBDII reader - P0101 Mass or volume air flow A circuit range/performance. Also acceleration was limited when this happened. Cleaned the air filter and reset the warning. All ok now but cruise control and speed limiter don't work. They'd switch on but cannot set speed by pressing down on the switch as usual.

Of note is that a couple of times the fan kept running after switching off the engine although the weather was cold and engine not too hot. The fan stayed for too long I was afraid battery will drain out so I didn't leave the car and waited till it switches off. Took like 5 mins ! Only happened twice though.

Interestingly my car is also a 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic Tekna Gun Metallic !!! Is this a coincidence? I doubt it.
2015 1.6dCi 130 hp Xtronic Techna in Gun Metallic
Hound

Post by Hound »

P0095/0096 is what we got, which is the Intake Air Temperature sensor (IAT2) in the turbocharger boost sensing unit. P0101 (assuming you have the correct code) is the Mass Air Flow sensor, or more likely its air temperature sensor (IAT1) which appears to be at the back of the engine by the bulkhead - presumably part of the airbox (yellow on the picture). Often a dirty filter causes a MAF fault but if you've cleaned it, the sensor is next suspect.

MAF.jpg

The IAT2 sensor is known by Nissan to be problematic (there's a technical bulletin about it), but I don't know about the IAT in the MAF circuit. I guess you won't know for sure what the actual problem is until Nissan tests it, but in any event the car is under warranty.

Hope it's resolved soon!
Hound

Post by Hound »

Oh - and my fan did the same thing. Only done it once since, and I think it may have been during DPF regeneration anyway.

Pretty sure the MAF is here, where an electrical connector plugs into the air intake assembly between the airbox and air resonator chamber.

MAF2.jpg

Rhamdy

Post by Rhamdy »

Yes, you are right. I was able to see the sensor in the duct when I removed the air filter for cleaning (I must've driven through a swarm of midgets on a trip to the west coast, found many dead ones in the filter) although I never met a similar problem before on any previous car. Anyway, I booked my car in at Nissan for diagnostic to fix the cruise control/speed limiter. Will see what they say. It'll be a while though as I have to travel 60 miles to them and I don't have any days off work to do that till next month.

Will update you with the result.

Thanks for the detailed instructions.
2015 1.6dCi 130 hp Xtronic Techna in Gun Metallic
Hound

Post by Hound »

There are MAF cleaners, although I'm reluctant to suggest you use them when the car's under warranty. But I won't tell Nissan if you don't.

They tend to be about a fiver for a spray can. Perhaps surprisingly, the electrical contact cleaner from Halfrauds seems to get very good reviews. http://reviews.halfords.com/4028/778340/reviews.htm

It will be interesting to see whether your IAT2 sensor has also failed through contamination when Nissan inspects it.
hf2017

Post by hf2017 »

Hello
the IAT2 with bosh version has not the same OEM number with the Continental version (223657458R/2233653584R), is it normal or is there any other part replaced with it? why they don't have the same oem number if they are exactly the same part?
thank you