1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Winty27
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Winty27 »

Thanks for your reply I appreciate your advice and you and everyone who posted on this topic which has been a brilliant source of information . It really highlighted a huge issue uncovered about this engine after reading this explanation on this forum I did so much research. You are of course right in your decision to sell your car. I in the end gave my car back and had to actually pay the dealership to take it back the princely sum of £250. I lost in total £9750. I had no confidence in this car after all the issues I had but I am not throwing anymore money Nissans way.
I have lost out but at least I don’t have the worry of this car and it’s engine anymore. Sometimes in life you have to cut your losses as painful as they may be.
All the best for the info and advice ladies and gents. Winty over and out 😢😢.
2014 Qashqai Digi-t glass roof pearl white

ABliss

Post by ABliss »

Winty27 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:24 pm Thanks for your reply I appreciate your advice and you and everyone who posted on this topic which has been a brilliant source of information . It really highlighted a huge issue uncovered about this engine after reading this explanation on this forum I did so much research. You are of course right in your decision to sell your car. I in the end gave my car back and had to actually pay the dealership to take it back the princely sum of £250. I lost in total £9750. I had no confidence in this car after all the issues I had but I am not throwing anymore money Nissans way.
I have lost out but at least I don’t have the worry of this car and it’s engine anymore. Sometimes in life you have to cut your losses as painful as they may be.
All the best for the info and advice ladies and gents. Winty over and out 😢😢.
This is probably the best outcome. I had my timing chain and tensioner replaced in November 2018 (the car is 2015,tbe milage was only sitting at 25k), and yesterday after the diagnostic (all the symptoms of rattling etc came back) was told it needs a timing chain and tensioner again AND an oil pump. Nissan suspect a seized tensioner.

Nissan did not pay for the initial replacement of the timing chain and tensioner and they said they won't be paying for this either. I've gone to my finance provider and customer services and hopefully get back as to the result.
Winty27

Post by Winty27 »

Disgusted 😡😡😡😡😡😡
2014 Qashqai Digi-t glass roof pearl white
Mike8080
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Mike8080 »

I am on the lookout for a petrol SUV with panoramic sunroof with a budget of £13k and a 2017 Qashqai was an obvious candidate until I started to research them and found this thread. Is the oil issue still found on newer models or is it limited to particular years?

I saw there's a list of serial numbers affected but I'm not sure how to interpret that.

Regards
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Personally, I would not touch the 1.2 petrol with a barge pole. It's far to small an engine & if coupled with the terrible terrible auto gearbox your in for a world of hurt.

The diesel of this date has auto regen & no issues with clogged DPF filters etc. So either for the 1.5 or 1.6 tdi or if you can stretch your budget, go for the newer 1.3 petrol.
Mike8080 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:42 pm I am on the lookout for a petrol SUV with panoramic sunroof with a budget of £13k and a 2017 Qashqai was an obvious candidate until I started to research them and found this thread. Is the oil issue still found on newer models or is it limited to particular years?

I saw there's a list of serial numbers affected but I'm not sure how to interpret that.

Regards
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Mike8080 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:42 pm I am on the lookout for a petrol SUV with panoramic sunroof with a budget of £13k and a 2017 Qashqai was an obvious candidate until I started to research them and found this thread. Is the oil issue still found on newer models or is it limited to particular years?

Welcome to this forum.

In THEORY the problem is confined to the list of serial numbers seen elsewhere (first page attached for reference) but...

a] some cars have the problem and they're more recent than the serial number range in the quoted service bulletin, albeit there may be a later "hidden" one which includes them - we do not know.

b] some cars aren't affected. Certainly my car was fine when I sold it at 20k miles - no noise, no oil use - but I wasn't going to risk it without extending the warranty and quotes I had for so doing were rather high so I sold it at that mileage. It was px'ed so I don't know if the new owner's had any problems - took three months for the dealer to sell it though.

TB EM 01.jpg

(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Stupidcooper

Post by Stupidcooper »

Hi,

I've just registered on here as I think I've started to experience this issue and was wondering if anyone had any experience of getting this sorted out of warranty.

I bought the car from new from Nissan in September 2016 and it was serviced by them for 3 years then Sept 2020 it had a major service at an independent. It has done 43000 miles. Engine number U1804556.

In the 2019 service at Nissan they identified a very slight oil leak from timing chain cover and timing chain is also noisy. They carried out a timing chain front cover reseal under warranty.

This week I started noticing a rattle noise especially when pulling in 2nd gear and 3rd gear at about 2k revs, this was only within the first 15mins of driving then it disappears. I thought at first it might be the exhaust but after checking my oil level it was showing as pretty much empty on the dipstick. I thought this was strange as I had a major service at the end of Sept 2020 at 41000 miles where they did a full oil change, I'm now at 43000 miles and appear to have used all the oil. It doesn't sound right to me that an engine should be using that much oil in just 2000 miles.

I've done some searching and found a notice to say the technical bulletin was updated to include my engine number so I was wondering if anyone has had any luck dealing with Nissan in getting this issue sorted out of the normal 3 year warranty. I am within 5 years of vehicle registration (runs out on 28th Sept 2021).

Thanks
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

I can't advise further than what you can see on here - only to say I decided to sell my car before the problem occurred.

I'd be interested to know where you saw the "... the technical bulletin was updated to include my engine number..." since I haven't seen anything except the original.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

You should of course be checking the oil level more frequently than leaving it over five months. I admittedly only did once I knew there might be a problem, albeit I never had to put any oil in.
Stupidcooper

Post by Stupidcooper »

For reference here is the link to where I saw the bulletin update viewtopic.php?t=6787&start=20

I will be checking the oil every couple of hundred miles now I think. I've had 2 nissan notes before this both from new and I never had to top up the oil on those between services so I got complacent based on that experience. There is no way a car of this age/mileage should be using a litre of oil every 600 miles.

I think my plan is to contact the dealership on Monday and see what they say.