Stop/start not working after battery change

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
irlnz
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by irlnz »

Hi all,

I changed the battery in my 2012 1.6dci n-tec+ QQ the other day (same for same battery type) and now the stop/start system isn't working. The first 2 days afterwards, if I came to a stop the engine would drop and a message read 'stop/start not available' no warning lights or anything. Now the engine doesn't stop at all and still no warning lights etc.

I read the fault codes today with my obd2 reader and its showing P1485 power train error.

As far as I can see after alot of searching this is to do with the egr valve solenoid? Is this related to the stop/start issue or something different?

Any help in fixing these two issues is very much appreciated as this is my first QQ so not very familiar with these engines.

Thanks all

olafmol
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by olafmol »

Any other warning lights? Does your engine start and run normally using the ignition? I have a hunch it has something to do with the start-battery or a sensor. Did you try replacing the (new) battery with another one (the old one f.e.)? What was the reason for changing the battery?
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Stop/Start (SS) incidents relate to Safety (brakes/stability system) and emissions problems commonly...fuelling itself and/or exhaust control.

The J11 SS diagnostics require inspection of these functions. Not sure about your J10 because this is engine specific.
Think it runs along these lines though. Basically the battery may not be recognised?

CHECK DTC (recorded error codes on the car)
Fuel Pump
Starter Motor
CHECK BATTERY STATUS
CHECK CUMULATIVE BATTERY DISCHARGE CURRENT

CHECK STOP/START OFF SWITCH
CHECK HOOD SWITCH
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
collywobble
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by collywobble »

When I had a new battery fitted to our last car (SEAT Ibiza 1.2 TSi) the auto-electrician kept a power supply to the car to prevent any settings being lost -do you not have to follow this procedure on a Qashqai too?
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

collywobble wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:32 am When I had a new battery fitted to our last car (SEAT Ibiza 1.2 TSi) the auto-electrician kept a power supply to the car to prevent any settings being lost -do you not have to follow this procedure on a Qashqai too?

Its not necessary to keep power on. Although, settings to do with the radio/clock might be affected.

Engine control is maintained in firmware by the ECU so cannot be changed from a battery replace.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
oafrom
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by oafrom »

Hi! Have you been able to resolve the issue?

I replaced the battery with Exide EK700 AGM 70ah, and the same failure is happening to my car at the moment. With the old battery the start/stop function worked fine, but at times when the battery was weak, the failure would re-appear. Then once some guy with the scanner erased the error and it fixed the start/stop. Then all worked fine and then I replaced the battery and the error is back.

I took the car to the garage, they had a scanner, but they told me that the battery is not a start/stop one. Which is kind of odd, because exide's website says the opposite.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Oleg.
andy2019
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 »

On the sticker on the side of your new batt is should say start/stop if its correct. Was the old batt type EFB or AGM batt.?
You may need to good a good few hundred miles of driveing to top the charge up on your new batt as you don't know how long it's been sat around for.