P0203 advice needed

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
BeckyG
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by BeckyG »

Hi All! Advice needed!

Bought a QQ Ntec 1.5dci 2011 less than 2 weeks ago. Was running fine until Wednesday when I notice some jerking on my way home from work. It did it about 3 times then I got the red Eml and skid lights come on. Limped it the last 2 minutes home but the car struggled to get up hill and was vibrating badly. Sounded rough.
Nice Green Flag man plugged me in and I got code P0203 Cylinder 3.

Anyway, I contacted the garage I bought it from and with some nagging he picked it up yesterday - he drove it back to the Garage himself which is a good 20 minutes drive and then called to say it was driving fine on the motorway! This morning he sent me a video when he was taking it to the mechanic and showed me there were no warning lights on.
I'm still waiting to hear back from them 😣

Is this combination of warning lights, code and obvious misfire something that could miraculously fix itself?!?

I'm new to QQs so any advice would be appreciated 😊

mrugby
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by mrugby »

Hi BeckyG and welcome,
I Don't have a qashqai diesel myself but my other car which is a Ford c-max diesel had a similar problem.
The code relates to what I believe is an injector problem. The fault code may have been cleared by mr green flag and has not re-identified itself again as of yet ...maybe.
My ford was resolved by renewing the injector. They were not expensive at the time.
You or a friend may want to check around cylinder 3 for diesel leaks or a loose electrical connector. You could also use a multi meter to measure resistance across the input coil and compare with the others. I am assuming that the qashqai injectors are electrically triggered and not mechanically pressure triggered of course.
My ford version had to be dealer coded into the computer system. This is to ensure that all the injectors are balanced and inject evenly. Sorry for my ref to my ford, but that's the only diesel experience I have.
Perhaps members with the diesel version can assist better than myself.
I would encourage diesel users to use fuel system cleaning potions on a regular basis, especially on short runs.
I have always used these myself and have never had an emission failure in 11 years.

I hope this may help out a little.

mrugby
BeckyG

Post by BeckyG »

Hi, thank you so much for the response - I do know nice green flag man did try to clear the code after I took a picture of it. But when he restarted the car the red Eml was still on and it was still on when the man from the garage drove it away.

This has me thinking that either it has cleared itself or the guy from the garage has somehow cleared it (which worries me before it's even seen the mechanic)

Injectors are steep £££ on these but I've seen you can buy reconditioned ones. If anyone has any advice on that would be helpful too.
monkeyfaceuk
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by monkeyfaceuk »

Hi, similar thing happened to me bought a 2010 1.5dci and everything was fine for a month until I got the EML and skids lights, I called RAC and the code was P0204 cylinder 4 injector fail and I was recovered back home. I phoned the garage I bought it from and they arranged to pick it up, but when I started it everything was fine. I drove it to garage without any issues or EML lights but the garage still replaced the injector under warranty and coded it to the ECU. But now it sounds like an old tractor and very tappy.

I took it back to the garage and they put the old injector back in, everything was fine and the tappy noise had gone, so they ordered a different manufacturer injector and put it in tappy noise was back. I drove it for over 800 miles with loud tapping and its still the same. I have now had all injectors replaced and it's still sounds like an old tractor. I'm hoping it will settle down.

So if you do get your injector replaced you might need to do them all and they aren't cheap.
BeckyG

Post by BeckyG »

Hi Monkeyfaceuk,

Yeah, I noticed the price of injectors was a bit steep. The Garage got the car back to me and said they had replaced injector (cylinder 3).

Although at £80 for the part I have to say I'm dubious!

However it is running for now and not making any excessive noise like you mention.

What I am noticing is an intermittent jumping sensation (like a misfire but really quick and just once) Happens about once on a 30 mile motorway run. Usually when I'm just coasting along at a steady 60-70 mph with little throttle.
Feels like someone has tapped the brake quickly. No lights come on or any other noticeable changes.

Has anyone any idea why it will be doing this or had something similar. It's really annoying and making me a little anxious now about driving it on the motorway!
BeckyG

Post by BeckyG »

Hi All,

I thought I would update you and ask for advice.
So last Friday she lit up again. Red EML and traction control lights again. I had her diagnosed and she had p0203 AGAIN! And P1525.

Anyone she'd light on the P1525?

I have started a dispute with the dealer and requested a refund but they are not agreeing. They actually tried to say that they are past codes and they don't know if there is a fault!

The light has gone out now after last startup and I have not used the car since. She is parked up ready for them to collect.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

P1525 is likely Cruise Control sensing that the EML is already illuminated by another fault which is probably your original fault P0203. P0203 needs fixing first.

Your seller needs to fix this (P0203) because the EML illumination is an MOT failure. Remind your seller of MOT and the law.

If your engine is misfiring or not running properly there is likely an emissions problem as a result and that MOT would pick up. And fail.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
monkeyfaceuk
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by monkeyfaceuk »

Hi BeckyG

£80 for an injector is very cheap. My dealer replaced all four and only charged me for 3, they covered the VAT and supplied the labour so it cost me £160 each injector, still a lot of money.
When I had the failing injector it would jump a little like you described, so it sounds like you still have a injector playing up.

My car still is very tappy and noisey with all 4 injectors replaced, but now its throwing up a P242f error code which is dpf filter blocked!

Hope you get yours sorted.
BeckyG

Post by BeckyG »

Hi Guys, thanks for the input.
Biggest concern right here ⬆️ if they have not completed the repair right the first time it could have caused more damege...
I'm still in dispute. Ive told them I want either a full refund or a repair by a Nissan Main Dealer.
They want to take the car away to have it 'diagnosed' by their own mechanic but they have been told no, its not leaving my sight until I have a refund.
I don't trust them not to tamper with the car and try and hide the fault that they should have repaired adequately last time. I'm guessing a scrap yard part was put on, if one was put on at all. When he took the car the first time he told me it had stopped misfiring and was driving fine (he also sent me a vid showing me the EML had gone off) before he even took it to the mechanic 🤔
Told them I will book it into a reputable garage near me and they can come and watch it being diagnosed.

Its really starting to anger me now. It's becoming a serious inconvenience, costing me money I shouldn't have to pay and they still haven't agreed to a refund - even though I'm well within my rights to reject the car within 30 days if it is faulty.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

BeckyG wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:06 pm Hi Guys, thanks for the input.
Biggest concern right here ⬆️ if they have not completed the repair right the first time it could have caused more damege...
I'm still in dispute. Ive told them I want either a full refund or a repair by a Nissan Main Dealer.
They want to take the car away to have it 'diagnosed' by their own mechanic but they have been told no, its not leaving my sight until I have a refund.
I don't trust them not to tamper with the car and try and hide the fault that they should have repaired adequately last time. I'm guessing a scrap yard part was put on, if one was put on at all. When he took the car the first time he told me it had stopped misfiring and was driving fine (he also sent me a vid showing me the EML had gone off) before he even took it to the mechanic 🤔
Told them I will book it into a reputable garage near me and they can come and watch it being diagnosed.

Its really starting to anger me now. It's becoming a serious inconvenience, costing me money I shouldn't have to pay and they still haven't agreed to a refund - even though I'm well within my rights to reject the car within 30 days if it is faulty.
You need to document all so far and goto Trading Standards locally. Don't spend anymore money
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta