Driving the new 1.3 160 DCT auto in manual mode.

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
mrugby
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by mrugby »

Having driven the first 1,300 miles in our new Qashqai 1.3 Dig-t 160 DCT with the gearbox set in Auto mode I felt it is time to start to stretch it's legs. The 1.3 has given the impression of being fairly punchy for a small engine up until now but the auto mode keeps the engine speed quite sedate during normal driving, until you approach legal upper speed limits.
I felt I wanted to rev the engine higher while keeping the road speed in the more mid point limits 50,60 MPH up to 70 on the motorways.
I decided to use the manual change function for the first time having never owned an automatic before.
I was a little nervous at first putting the mode into manual as I was not too sure what to expect !
I pulled away gently in first gear, then notched it into second with the slightest of touches to the gear lever then third until I got the feel of the mechanism.
I then started again but this time gave it a bit more power. The gear changes were quite slick and quick and I was able to extend the engine RPM to give it a bit of stress while keeping my road speed lower.
I must say this mode shows the potential of this engine. I was quite impressed at it's power of acceleration for such a small cubic capacity as you push the engine to higher rev limits just like you can on a manual gearbox version.
I did change down a bit early on one occasion, which resulted in a higher rev range than I wanted, but one click and the gears went back to normal.
One reason I wanted to try this method is to learn how I can keep the DPF system clean on shorter journeys. I have regularly used Millers fuel additives and have had decent results over the years with my diesel C max, never having any emission failures to date.
As you know the Qashqai newer petrol engines have the DPF system installed and are kept clean more efficiently on longer runs, so I feel by periodically using fuel cleaning additives and a higher periodic rev range at speeds of around 50/60 mph I am hoping the system will get a good blow out and keep itself clean. Time will tell as it's much easier for me to find everyday roads doing 50 mph instead of a motorway blast at 70 where the auto mode gearbox keeps the revs quite low.
Anyone had any DPF petrol engine issues yet or is it too early to tell at this moment ?
Mrugby

Pandjh

Post by Pandjh »

22K miles for me, no such issues, though with a manual gearbox I've been stretching its legs occasionally for a while now as well as a lot of sedate driving.

For the record, on a petrol engine it's a GPF rather than a DPF.
2019 1.3 DiG-T 160 Tekna, black (J11b)
prev 2015 1.2 DiG-T n-tec+, black (J11)
prev 2009 1.5 dCi Acenta, black (J10)
mrugby

Post by mrugby »

Thanks for that, so used to calling them Diesel particulate filters, it'll take a while to get used to Gasoline particulate filters instead .
Anybody else have experience using fuel treatments that have been beneficial ?
Cheers
mrugby
Pandjh

Post by Pandjh »

Sorry, back to me... I've not felt the need for fuel additives in this latest car, just an occasional refuel using V-Power or similar and avoidance of supermarket fuels.

When I had the diesel then I did need to use Forte additives to keep it sweet.

If I were to start using them again then I'd definitely go back to Forte.
2019 1.3 DiG-T 160 Tekna, black (J11b)
prev 2015 1.2 DiG-T n-tec+, black (J11)
prev 2009 1.5 dCi Acenta, black (J10)