Engine Run On

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
WhisperWest@12
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by WhisperWest@12 »

Hi I am new here and new to Nissan, bought a September 2016 Qashqai 1.5 dci N-Connecta manual 41k last day of October 2020. Due to Covid I've covered 600 miles in the vehicle from collection. Its been into the Nissan Dealer where I bought it twice now for the same recurring problem. I tend to slow my vehicle by lifting foot from accelerator on several occasions having done this the vehicle either runs on at the speed I lifted or even accelerates above initial speed recently we went from 27 to 31at which point I applied the brakes. The dealer claims there are no faults listed/recalls and on test runs technicians haven't experienced the same phenomena, even when asked to do a test drive in excess of 5miles. A service manager suggested to me that the diesel has an anti stall device fitted with a possible delay of 30 seconds for the accelerator to react once your foot is removed. I really can't comprehend that and find it extremely dangerous over the last 3 days I have narrowly avoided 2 collisons due to the actions of the accelerator any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Already I am trawling the net for a replacement, hopefully I will be able to go forward with this vehicle. Thank you

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

I wouldn't think there would be a specific device to lift the engine revs. Engine speed is detected from the crankshaft position sensor (CKP) and that is processed by the ECU to control the engine in various ways. More revs needs more fuel and air etc.

Guesses:
Cruise Control (AUTOMATIC SPEED CONTROL DEVICE (ASCD)
Perhaps the throttle pedal?

Diesel engine control is above my pay grade so I'm guessing really but Nissan should be able to detect the problem. I'd say go somewhere else and hammer home the Danger aspect.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Qashowner

Post by Qashowner »

Bear in mind that normal engine tick over is about 800rpm and, certainly in my car, 30mph engine revs are only about 12-1400rpm so you will get little if any engine braking. I have noticed on my QQ that even with out cruise control or speed limiter on when going down hill the car will try to keep to the marked speed limit using engine braking and that normally shows at about 2500-3000rpm. I drive with the CVT auto but wonder if the same or similar software is applied to the manual gearbox
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
WhisperWest@12

Post by WhisperWest@12 »

calnorth wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:02 am I wouldn't think there would be a specific device to lift the engine revs. Engine speed is detected from the crankshaft position sensor (CKP) and that is processed by the ECU to control the engine in various ways. More revs needs more fuel and air etc.

Guesses:

Diesel engine control is above my pay grade so I'm guessing really but Nissan should be able to detect the problem. I'd say go somewhere else and hammer home the Danger aspect.
Hi thanks for that, Nissan UK have put it back in the dealers lap she's booked in for another check. I have hoovered around the accelerator and applied WD40 to what appears to be some sort of connector. Road tested it for 30 rural miles without problem, still need to do an urban run to satisfy this is the problem solved. Like you mention the safety issue is my paramount thought when approaching the dealer. Thank you
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

WhisperWest@12 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:16 pm
calnorth wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:02 am I wouldn't think there would be a specific device to lift the engine revs. Engine speed is detected from the crankshaft position sensor (CKP) and that is processed by the ECU to control the engine in various ways. More revs needs more fuel and air etc.

Guesses:

Hi thanks for that, Nissan UK have put it back in the dealers lap she's booked in for another check. I have hoovered around the accelerator and applied WD40 to what appears to be some sort of connector. Road tested it for 30 rural miles without problem, still need to do an urban run to satisfy this is the problem solved. Like you mention the safety issue is my paramount thought when approaching the dealer. Thank you

The throttle pedal is an electric/electronic system and there are also micro switches for both clutch and brakes. So there will be connectors down there. Low resistance connections are important and WD40 can do some good...often in my long experience. Good luck for the fix.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta