how to test a 5 wire O2 sensor ?

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Franck67
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Franck67 »

Hi !
as i explained in my introduction topic, im strugging with that 02 sensor, which was changed / updated 3 or 4 times during the warranty, and now that it's off, im having the same problem again.
The orange engine light is on, the car is using more gas than usual.
I bought the tool to make the test, and i get a P0136 error code.
I wanted to remove and test that 02 sensor myself, but again couldnt find any relevant tutorial, so i tried to check that one, with the grey cable on the picture
https://ibb.co/WKhT4Sq
Sadly most of the testing method are for a 4 wire sensor, with ohm-meter, and this one is a 5 wires one.
Does anyone know how i can test it ?
I will do my best to udnerstand english, but im french, so please keep it as simple as possible :)
Thanks in advance for any kind of help ! :p

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Some questions because we don't have detailed engine information or accurate diagrams. You have an emissions problem here.

1. Is there one or two O2 sensors along the exhaust pipe?
2. Is the sensor you show (picture) after the Catalytic Converter (CC)?
3. Is there another 02 sensor before the CC?

4. What are the Sensor 5 wire colours?
5. How many Kms has the car done?
6. Has any other work or replacements been done on the exhaust system?

You can only test the 02 sensor with an electrical test meter. So testing is limited to resistance checks of its heater and ground connection. Also its wiring to the Engine Management Unit (ECU).

If the sensor is changed too often there is something else wrong - either the engine or exhaust system.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Franck67

Post by Franck67 »

Hey and thanks for your interest in helping me.
The engine is a dci130.
Car model is QQ j11 from January 2017 tekna.
So as far as I know there is 2 sensors even tho I didn't see the second one.

But I m or close to my car so i can't really tell more than what I showed on picture until later tonight.

The wires are red yellow grey white black

Nothing else has been done in the car which has around 70 000 km i would say.

I have voltmeter so i can run the tests if there is some...
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

70,000 Kms is the time to change the first sensor. 3 or 4 changes is not right. Were they changed by the Nissan agent?

Connections for a 5 wire 02 sensor:
2 wires are for 12 volt (PWM variable) O2 sensor heater control. You cannot test this with a testmeter
1 wire is for the O2 Sense signal to the ECU. You cannot test this with a testmeter
1 wire is for the PUMP signal. You cannot test this with a testmeter
1 wire is for car ground (12v negative).

The two sensor pins for 12v heater resistance should read about 4 ohms.

Update:

5wre colours.jpg

Last edited by calnorth on Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Franck67

Post by Franck67 »

I unplugged the sensor on the picture, and got a new error code : P0135.
So that sensor on the picture was O2 sensor, but the one before "catalyst"
the one i was looking for, was under car.
if someone is looking for it, you can see it here :
https://ibb.co/yhF6tcM
the one with blue wire. The wheel youre seeing in background, in the front right one.

I did check the connections first, and deleted the error code P0136, and i will drive a bit, with the monitor plugged, monitoring 02's temperature, and voltage, until the error comes back, so i can see in what way it failed.
for now i drove 10km. They both stayed at 0V, while the temperatures were both between 250 and 400°C.
if the error comes back, ill order a new sensor
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

What monitoring system do you have?
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Franck67

Post by Franck67 »

this one :
https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B08B3NF9F1?ref ... b_ap_share

Sadly, after 60km the engine light turned on again.
the temperature dont show any significant difference, the voltage are 0V permanently
lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

The 1.6dci is also known as the R9M and the downstream oxygen sensor is known for failing and there is a software patch to prevent the early failure. As far as I'm aware it's to modify the heating strategy so that thermal shock does not occur. Worth checking if you've had an update or are on the latest level after having the sensor replaced otherwise expect to be replacing it again in the same sort of interval
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

lewisbryant wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:57 pm The 1.6dci is also known as the R9M and the downstream oxygen sensor is known for failing and there is a software patch to prevent the early failure. As far as I'm aware it's to modify the heating strategy so that thermal shock does not occur. Worth checking if you've had an update or are on the latest level after having the sensor replaced otherwise expect to be replacing it again in the same sort of interval
It appears to be a problem @lewisbryant. From Bosch on cold droplets of condensation damage. Calls for care by heater controllers.

Thermal shock – a leading cause of failure

You may have noticed that when you start a cold engine, quite a lot of water will come out of the exhaust system as the engine warms up. Sometimes it is just a light mist, but in other cases drips or even a trickle can be observed particularly if you rev the engine when it is cold. This is the result of moisture that has condensed on the inside of the exhaust being blown out and/or evaporating. Bosch is well aware of this phenomenon and their LSU sensor technical documents are littered with comments about it and what do to about it. Remember that the sensing element can’t be heated or cooled too quickly or it will fail? Well if your sensor is heated up to full temperature before starting a cold engine then those cold droplets of condensation will hit the hot sensor and destroy it very quickly – this is commonly referred to as thermal shock. As a result Bosch thoroughly points out that the sensor heating must only start after the engine is running and even then the heater power should be limited to about 15% of its full value until condensed water is sure to be gone. Only then should high-powered rapid-heating of the sensor occur.

https://www.nzefi.com/bosch-lsu-wide-ba ... lications/
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Franck67

Post by Franck67 »

Very interesting ! thanks !
is there a way to know the current version of my ECU , so i can know if im up to date ? or not ?

I know i tried once, to drive while monitoring the temperatures of both sensors, and they return a value immediately after i start the engine.
I dont know how much time the ECU should give them to warm up, but unles its in milliseconds, it doesnt happen.

Also, those doc are talking about the Bosch 02 sensor, but will it be the same if i try another brand ?