Advice Needed RE Heating

Bodywork & Interior problems
QashqaiD
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by QashqaiD »

Hello everyone,

I bought a 68 plate petrol 1.3 Qashqai in August. I have been having problems with the heating and I just wanted to make sure it's not a normal thing for a Qashqai before I go to a second garage for it to be looked at.
When I start my car on a cold morning, it takes quite some time to warm up, perhaps 7-10 minutes, which is fine. However, it doesn't gradually warm up, it blows really cold air the whole time and then it's almost like a flick of a switch when the heat comes through as it's already right up to temperature straight away. I haven't had a Qashqai before but I have had 6 other cars and have asked family and friends if they have ever experienced it in any of their cars and no one has ever had the same problem even with really old cars. Does anyone else with a similar age Qashqai have the same thing or does yours warm up gradually? I hope this makes sense but I'm at a loose end after the garage I bought the car from telling me there's no problem

I need someone to tell me if this is a normal thing for this type of car or whether it should be gradually blowing the hot air upon warming

Thanks in advance for your help

Dee

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

Does sound wholly right to be honest - though my present Suzuki the heat cones on suddenly, if that's what you're meaning. I thought all cars did this as the engine thermostat opened and let the water circulate?

My Qashqai would warm up in around 1.5 miles or so and then the heat would come out - just before I reached work!

Is this with the settings on AUTO or not? With AC or not?
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
QashqaiD

Post by QashqaiD »

gloucester wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:22 pm Welcome to this forum.

Does sound wholly right to be honest - though my present Suzuki the heat cones on suddenly, if that's what you're meaning. I thought all cars did this as the engine thermostat opened and let the water circulate?

My Qashqai would warm up in around 1.5 miles or so and then the heat would come out - just before I reached work!

Is this with the settings on AUTO or not? With AC or not?
Thank you for your reply. So for example this morning I sat in my partners car and his car you could feel the air gradually getting warmer rather than just going from very cold to literally 'flick of a switch' gets hot. His also defrosted itself within 3-4 minutes of the car turning on whereas mine takes almost up to 15 minutes just because it's blowing cold air for a good 7-10 minutes before getting hot so the windscreen doesn't start to defrost until its got hot air blowing on it.

This is the same with air con or no air con. I've also used the auto button as well to see if that makes a difference but still no different

I just don't feel that it's as good as other cars the same age which I'm just disappointed with

Thanks
Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

It may be an efficiency thing to get the engine warm, better fuel consumption and all that, before letting the passengers die of hyperthermia :) That would mean of course there would be some sort of thermostat or device to open the warm water into the heater matrix.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
Pandjh

Post by Pandjh »

My 2019 1.3 needed a new thermostat after I experienced very similar issues.

It now warms up very quickly and steadily.
2019 1.3 DiG-T 160 Tekna, black (J11b)
prev 2015 1.2 DiG-T n-tec+, black (J11)
prev 2009 1.5 dCi Acenta, black (J10)
QashqaiD

Post by QashqaiD »

Pandjh wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:07 pm My 2019 1.3 needed a new thermostat after I experienced very similar issues.

It now warms up very quickly and steadily.
This is what I was hoping to hear! Thank you for taking the time to reply
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Mine has been a revelation since new.
Having come from a long series of diesel cars, I’ve always been delighted at the speed mine warmed up to provide hot air, even in really cold weather.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Deleted User 10757

Post by Deleted User 10757 »

Both my petrol and diesel models warmed up quickly , but only got proper hot after about 25 miles.
All have been the same , so the temperature setting gets turned down halfway to work.

Also remember - the temperature gauge is " damped " to remove any engine heat fluctuations , but a sudden move from cold to hot air would indicate something amiss from either the thermostat , of if fitted , an electric valve that directs the heat to the cabin .
This was relevant on BMW but Im not so sure about Nissan.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

This subject appears to be a bit complicated. There is a thermostat (as expected) and...a water control valve. Thats according to the general engine diagnostic I have.

What it means:
There are two engine water temperature control devices ...make it three with the water pump.

Yesterday we had a query here about the solenoid device/ Engine Coolant Bypass Valve doing a "narrow range" control of the water system. Thats under ECU control and where the above isn't...but I'll leave that sleeping dog lie.

Heres the system diagram related to my "What it means" para above:

So check the behaviour of item 3 and 4. After that, there could be trouble in the cabin heater matrix area and related piping here and there.
Diagnostics only deals with system overheating. Too cold...too bad perhaps?

Screen16.png

Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
QashqaiD

Post by QashqaiD »

MikeGC wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:29 pm Mine has been a revelation since new.
Having come from a long series of diesel cars, I’ve always been delighted at the speed mine warmed up to provide hot air, even in really cold weather.
This is exactly what I’d hoped to hear. I knew there is something wrong with it and I’m fed up of garages fobbing me off because I’m a ‘youngish’ girl! :x

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. At least I know this isn’t a normal thing and I can push for it to be sorted!

Dee
Last edited by QashqaiD on Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.