Air Con Recharge Frequency Question

ICE, Equipment, Options
nicenswift

Post by nicenswift »

Hi,

I have a 65 plate 1.6 petrol Qashqai.

10 months ago we had an issue with the aircon making a slight hissing noise through the vents and not cooling the car enough.

We took it back to the dealer and was charged a regas at £150.

The car is now showing the same issue again with the noise and not cooling enough so I am ringing the dealer tommorow but feel they are going to say regas it again.

Question is how often would you expect to have to regas the AC on a 65 plate1.6 petrol.

I have had many other makes of car with AC and dont recall ever having to regas them.

Many thanks for your time.

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Firstly welcome to the Forum. It might be worth a read of the last comments on the attached 2x posts which are long but should fill you in. Perhaps the Condenser needs attention or replacing for example. Ours is 5 years old now and was only re-gassed when a New Condenser was installed under Guarantee - Dave 😊
If you need more facts then please use “Search” where you will find more info’.

https://www.qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8715#p69460
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Unless they degrade or fail to function no gassing is required. Sounds as though there is a leak within the cabin which indicates a problem with the evaporator.

The gassing process requires a vacuum test for leaks. The Aircon system must hold that vacuum for a specified time frame before gassing can take place.

Did the dealer tell you what was wrong 10 months back?
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
nicenswift

Post by nicenswift »

calnorth wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:56 am Unless they degrade or fail to function no gassing is required. Sounds as though there is a leak within the cabin which indicates a problem with the evaporator.

The gassing process requires a vacuum test for leaks. The Aircon system must hold that vacuum for a specified time frame before gassing can take place.

Did the dealer tell you what was wrong 10 months back?
Hi,

Many thanks for your reply.

The dealer just said that it had run out and needed refilling.

How often is the norm for a regas on the QQ ?

Regards

Andrew
nicenswift

Post by nicenswift »

DaveBerlin wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:06 am Firstly welcome to the Forum. It might be worth a read of the last comments on the attached 2x posts which are long but should fill you in. Perhaps the Condenser needs attention or replacing for example. Ours is 5 years old now and was only re-gassed when a New Condenser was installed under Guarantee - Dave 😊
If you need more facts then please use “Search” where you will find more info’.

https://www.qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8715#p69460
Many thanks for your reply I will give it a look.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

nicenswift wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:45 am
Hi,

Many thanks for your reply.

The dealer just said that it had run out and needed refilling.

How often is the norm for a regas on the QQ ?

Regards

Andrew
Hi Andrew,

There isn't a standard periodic time for any car. Re-gas on fault is simply it and that would be leaks or compressor failure commonly. The fixer must thoroughly test for leaks prior to any gassing. Its exactly the same procedure for a refrigerator/freezer.

You need to know from the dealer what caused it 10 months ago and now,

Colin
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

The AC is a sealed system so shouldn't need regassing. I've only once had an AC system regassed and that was on my Fabia vRS which was about six years old at the time.

The question really with a Qashqai is how often should the AC condenser be replaced? :) Mine was done at 2.75 years...
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

To be clear:
Components in the Aircon System such as the Evaporator/Condenser don't suffer from wear out, so are not subject to regular change regimes (timed life). Apart from manufacturing faults and in-service damage its their pipe joints that are potential risks. Those joints need periodic inspection perhaps and looking for Aircon lubricant expulsion for one. Nissan annual servicing does not provide for Aircon inspection specifically but mechanics should keep an eye out. Either that or the Customer tells them the Aircon is bad.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Just checked my Nissan 1st service form/receipt. Under Road Test there is an entry "Air con" check. Functional test only on the road and is repeated annually by the look of it. So unless it is not operating right virtually no other related check is made....ever.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
nicenswift

Post by nicenswift »

Many thanks for all the great advice.

I will be calling the dealership tommorow and will see what they say but from what I am gathering there is no way the QQ should need regassing every 10 months.

The car is still under its extended warranty also.