Stop/Start System Fault

ICE, Equipment, Options
anthonywickens
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by anthonywickens »

Hi, the stop/start system on my 2015 Qashqai has stopped working. When I start the car I have a message stating there is a fault with the system, the engine management light comes on and the auto stop/start symbol continuously flashes.

Having read posts on the forum I decided to have the battery replaced hoping this would resolve the issue. Unfortunately it hasn't.

I would appreciate any advice in how I can get the issue resolved. Thanks

MrSweetE90
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by MrSweetE90 »

Did they code the new battery so the car knows it's a new battery, furthermore was faults cleared after the battery was replaced?
2012 Qashqai 1.6 DCI TEKNA Plus
anthonywickens

Post by anthonywickens »

They didn't code the battery, I mentioned it to the fitter and he said that once I've driven a few times it should automatically update...the faults haven't cleared.
MrSweetE90

Post by MrSweetE90 »

anthonywickens wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:58 pm They didn't code the battery, I mentioned it to the fitter and he said that once I've driven a few times it should automatically update...the faults haven't cleared.
Doesn't sound normal to me mate, the whole point of registering a battery is so we tell the car it has a new battery and that adjusts the charging, I don't think I've came across any mention of a car being able to tell by itself. Clearing the faults would also be worth trying, I'd ask the garage if they will do it as the faults not going.
anthonywickens

Post by anthonywickens »

Thanks for that...it was Halfords who came out and changed the battery on the drive so will have to contact them. I'm guessing you probably need some kit and can't do it yourself.
MrSweetE90

Post by MrSweetE90 »

anthonywickens wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:50 pm Thanks for that...it was Halfords who came out and changed the battery on the drive so will have to contact them. I'm guessing you probably need some kit and can't do it yourself.
Interesting, I can't remember if it was this forum or the BMW forum I'm on but some chap had the exact same issue with Halfords, they where adament registering wasn't required. He ended up going to another garage and all was sorted, hopefully who you speak to is more understanding. If the car does in fact require registering, your car's not doing your new battery any favours. Keep us posted, ideally you want battery registering and fault codes cleared which fingers crossed will get rid of the stop start warning and ensure your car charges according to a new battery.
anthonywickens

Post by anthonywickens »

That's good to know...car is in for it's MOT and service at the end of this month so hopefully the garage can do something.
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

anthonywickens wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:51 am That's good to know...car is in for it's MOT and service at the end of this month so hopefully the garage can do something.
One things for sure...the error codes (DTCs) that may have existed prior to Batt change or perhaps those created by a Batt change have to be cleared at Batt installation. That is part of diagnostics procedure. Likely Halfords et al can't do the DTC clear down...reliably. Some DTCs won't clear until related fault(s) is fixed.

Service should look for DTC's...remind them

Start/Stop faults are primarily a problem that the ECU raises when not able to control the engine correctly. That could be Batt Management, exhaust, combustion or fuel issues and related sensors.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
MrSweetE90

Post by MrSweetE90 »

calnorth wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:31 pm
anthonywickens wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:51 am That's good to know...car is in for it's MOT and service at the end of this month so hopefully the garage can do something.
One things for sure...the error codes (DTCs) that may have existed prior to Batt change or perhaps those created by a Batt change have to be cleared at Batt installation. That is part of diagnostics procedure. Likely Halfords et al can't do the DTC clear down...reliably. Some DTCs won't clear until related fault(s) is fixed.

Start/Stop faults are primarily a problem that the ECU raises when not able to control the engine correctly. That could be Batt Management, exhaust, combustion or fuel issues and related sensors.
That's good to know, it's unfortunate that the likes of Halfords most the time aren't aware of things like this. I was under the impression a battery registration would be required after a battery change if the car has some sort of intelligent battery sensor (that's what BMW calls theres) but I wasn't aware it's standard practice for garages to clear fault codes as part of a battery replacement.

I'll be going through the same thing soon, the last stop start that kicked in barely got the car started and since then it stated stop start malfunction and it's never worked since so I'm fairly certain I'll need the faults cleared along with a battery registration if the J10 also needs that.

Hopefully the OP has some luck today and isn't fobbed off like the last post I read.
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

MrSweetE90 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:51 pm
calnorth wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:31 pm

That's good to know, it's unfortunate that the likes of Halfords most the time aren't aware of things like this. I was under the impression a battery registration would be required after a battery change if the car has some sort of intelligent battery sensor (that's what BMW calls theres) but I wasn't aware it's standard practice for garages to clear fault codes as part of a battery replacement.

I'll be going through the same thing soon, the last stop start that kicked in barely got the car started and since then it stated stop start malfunction and it's never worked since so I'm fairly certain I'll need the faults cleared along with a battery registration if the J10 also needs that.

Hopefully the OP has some luck today and isn't fobbed off like the last post I read.
The Batt -ve terminal consists of both a Batt Current & Temp sensor. That data is passed to the Power Distribution Module (IPDM) which then informs the ECU. The ECU thus commands the Alternator charge rate.

Certain cars have Batt Management Systems that track the use (age) of the vehicle and Batt current sensing is part of that. Aka Energy Consumption. A calculation of Batt Capacity over time can be made....as it falls. That can enable the ECU to vary charge up/down. Not sure if thats the case with the QQ but the newer Batts (eg AGM) can be charged at some considerable rate. And thats largely all because of the demand for Stop/Start and related "green endeavour". Stop/Start in Cities is fairly draining I'd say. I find it an absolute curse.

Batt registration is generally info about the Batt replacement...Type/AH and date mainly. That likely resets the ECU to a defined charge regime for the new Batt. We could say... not registering the new Batt would leave it being charged at the old (lower) Batt rate?

The J10 Charge System is dead simple and does not need registration. The ECU is not involved. My comments refer to J11.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta