Software update failure on J12/2021

ICE, Equipment, Options
APDB
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by APDB »

Hi all

I'm new to the forum.

Very disappointed to have this problem with the new third generation Qashqai (N-Connecta model).

I've taken it in to Nissan already and they spent all day on it and couldn't resolve the issue. They said they'll likely need to replace the whole infotainment system. I know tech in cars is painfully slow to adapt to tech everywhere else but this is really poor. A software update has proven too much so it needs an entire replacement?!

Anyway, apparently this is the first they've seen of this issue on the third generation car, so some more of you may also fall victim, so this post is not just a rant, but also a helpful FYI.

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

I'm not sure anyone's reported a complete failure previously and certainly not on the J12.

What happened leading up to this?
Last edited by gloucester on Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
APDB

Post by APDB »

I just noticed one day the screen read something like 'software update installing 15 minutes' or similar. The car must be stationary and in park so I complied with that. Once it hit time it read something like 'Software update failure please remove any USB devices and try again, if this persists please contact your dealership'.

I did in fact have a USB plugged in. So I removed it and tried again several times (waiting 15 minutes each time of course) but the issue persisted.

Nissan said the multiple tries has 'knackered it'. Not sure that makes any sense and also the update keeps trying by itself anyway. I just kept the car stationary as per the instructions.

If trying to update itself a few times causes it to be 'knackered' I'm not sure how it's going to cope after a few years of running Apple CarPlay everyday, etc. It's a lease so I guess I won't be around to find out.
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Interesting. I fail to see why a car would try to do an update when you're going along. Perhaps other J12 owners can advise their experience.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Sandgrounder

Post by Sandgrounder »

Hello @APDB and welcome to the forum.

My Tekna did a software update on the 12th November 2021 (see this thread: viewtopic.php?t=11466&start=50) which was 105MB in size - it took its time but completed successfully, although it was a bit nerve-racking as the Connect screen kept going black whilst it did its thing. :?

It downloaded the update whilst I was driving but it would only apply the update when the Qashqai was stationary with the parking brake on and the engine running (which makes sense, I guess).

It did mention a “map” update last week but that was over 1GB in size and I told the Qashqai to download it a later date.

I have since found out the Qashqai uses the in-built SIM for these updates and not the data allowance on my iPhone, which is a good job really as I have a limited data plan ;)
Now: 1.3 Tekna DIG-T 158 MHEV J12 ~ LED Front Fog Lights ~ Ceramic Grey with Pearl Black Roof/Grey Interior
Before: 1.2 N-Connecta DIG-T 115 J11B ~ Heat Pack ~ LED Pack ~ Vivid Blue (Sep 17-Oct 21)
Previously: 1.2 N-Tec DIG-T 115 J11A ~ Blade Silver (Nov 14-Sep 17)
Steve101
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Steve101 »

Any thoughts on what the software changes made?
Tekna J12, magnetic blue, black roof.
APDB

Post by APDB »

Hi @Sandgrounder, glad to hear you've had better luck!

I just received a call from Nissan. They said they're going to replacement the entire infotainment system. It should arrive in a week (which apparently is a miracle) and then book me in to get it fitted. So finger's crossed by the end of next week I'll be sorted.
Sandgrounder

Post by Sandgrounder »

No idea at all. The details shown on the Connect screen were on the vague side: “includes improvements to enhance your overall experience” :? 😵‍💫🤷🏻‍♂️
Steve101 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:50 am Any thoughts on what the software changes made?
Now: 1.3 Tekna DIG-T 158 MHEV J12 ~ LED Front Fog Lights ~ Ceramic Grey with Pearl Black Roof/Grey Interior
Before: 1.2 N-Connecta DIG-T 115 J11B ~ Heat Pack ~ LED Pack ~ Vivid Blue (Sep 17-Oct 21)
Sandgrounder

Post by Sandgrounder »

Yes I did have better luck but I’m going to be very wary now based on your experience.

I’m glad you’ve managed to get a replacement unit so swiftly though. Great result 👍
APDB wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:55 am Hi @Sandgrounder, glad to hear you've had better luck!

I just received a call from Nissan. They said they're going to replacement the entire infotainment system. It should arrive in a week (which apparently is a miracle) and then book me in to get it fitted. So finger's crossed by the end of next week I'll be sorted.
APDB

Post by APDB »

Small further update. Just had another call from Nissan to ask me further questions which will help them identify any patterns which could lead to a recall if deemed neccessary. I wasn't much help as they wanted to know on what exact day and time did I first get the request for a software update.

FYI for me it just keeps trying to update itself then when it fails it goes blank then restarts the process again on a loop.