Worth changing head unit?

ICE, Equipment, Options
NotAMonkey
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by NotAMonkey »

I have a connect 3 head unit. The DAB and FM both drop out constantly.

Having monitored the DAB signal in the system menu I can see it has a signal for a few seconds then drops to 0, before repeating this over and over.

I know the area has good DAB coverage as my last car had DAB and never had issues and the vehicles I drive in the same area with work all have DAB and have no issues either. In addition to this, the number of channels on my connect 3 headset is tiny on both FM and DAB. I am missing loads, not that I can actually listen to them.

I've done the firmware upgrade to the latest version and that went fine. My GPS is also flawless - although I appreciate the two aren't directly connected.

I want Carplay anyway, so if I change my headset to an aftermarket one, am I likely to cure the signal issues or is it more likely to be a faulty aerial or signal amplifier issue?

Short of buying a new aerial and base, is there an easy way to check? I'd assumed if it was a faulty aerial or amplifier that I'd have 0 signal the whole time rather than every few seconds?

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

There’s a free software update that should fix most of your DAB problems.
There are a few long threads about changing the head unit - there has been some success but seems like you need to be a very competent DIYer or get it installed by a professional
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
NotAMonkey

Post by NotAMonkey »

Yeah, I’ve done the free software upgrade myself. It’s not made any difference to signal quality sadly which leads me to think it’s hardware related.

So, either the aerial and signal booster in the base is damaged or the head unit is faulty. Just can’t work out which yet.

I think I should be able to switch head units. I’ve done them before on other vehicles. So I may be willing to have a go.
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Connect 3 (2017) hasn't had a system software update yet. So what Reg is your car.?

DAB is generally crap at near road height...probably best on a motorway. DAB will cut off at a specific signal quality threshold whereas FM just makes noise. I've gone back to FM and can barely stand the garbage transmitted there.

There is plenty on this site about changing the headunit and away from Nissan offerings.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
NotAMonkey

Post by NotAMonkey »

calnorth wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:23 pm Connect 3 (2017) hasn't had a system software update yet. So what Reg is your car.?
2016 Pulsar. I got the firmware link off this site and it installed successfully.
calnorth wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:23 pmDAB is generally crap at near road height...probably best on a motorway. DAB will cut off at a specific signal quality threshold whereas FM just makes noise. I've gone back to FM and can barely stand the garbage transmitted there.
I went from a Ford Focus (2015) to the Pulsar. The DAB on the Focus was perfect, even in the built up cities and on any road. I always had a full signal and it worked without issue. And it’s the same with the vehicles I drive for work, full DAB all over the place. It’s only the Nissan that’s had issues on these roads.

I’ve since spoken to a few people on some Facebook groups. They’ve gone from connect 3 to Android headsets and now have the full complement of DAB stations without issue. I suspect the Nissan installed hardware is poor and outdated with DAB sadly. Which may be reason enough for me to make the jump.
calnorth wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:23 pm There is plenty on this site about changing the headunit and away from Nissan offerings.
Yeah I’ll have a look. I was just curious if people had noticed an improvement in DAB when making the change of head units.
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Get an audio auto technician to check it out?
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

2016 is a Connect 2 headunit....hence your firmware update available. That wasn't for radio reception (sensitivity).

Obviously if there is a fault from the antenna to the receiver then signal strength will be bad. The headunit powers the antenna pre amp in the roof. Is FM ok as it uses the same antenna system?

The headunit shows signal strength values in the system menus somewhere...or should do.

DAB does work and generally within a fairly clear line of sight. Get behind some tree foliage or down a dip and it'll cut off....as its supposed to do.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
NotAMonkey

Post by NotAMonkey »

My focus used to have DAB signals all over the areas where my Nissan can’t get them.

I had an auto electrician check the aerial 2 days ago. It’s fine.

I suspect the issue is the head unit itself. Many people report similar issues with the connect unit.

I’ve seen a cable that lets your retain the 360 camera on a qashqui (previous model, not the latest). So I’m now trying to work out if it’s the same fittings behind the connect unit to see if the same cable would work for me (it’s £200 so I want to get it right).