2amp draw with engine switched off

ICE, Equipment, Options
Andyjacko1985
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Andyjacko1985 »

Hi, I have a 2016 1.2 DiG-T N-Tec. I've had the RAC out this morning because the battery was completely flat. The RAC mechanic charged it up and did some diagnostics and saw that something was still drawing 2amp after 20mins of being switched off. I've checked the obvious things like lights been off but has anyone else had this issue or have any advice or areas too look?

lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

Radios can cause this amongst many other things, not simplest of things to diagnose for an average joe recommend someone who knows and has experience in parasitic drains
Qashowner

Post by Qashowner »

Slow laborious way to check for sure is to put the ammeter in line and remove fuses one at a time to find the culprit circuit. Only thing is it may not be one circuit but several. As already said, radio, alarm system take power. You could check the glove box to see if the light goes out, but 2 amps is quite a lot and should flatten the battery in 40+ hours, much less time than that for it not to be able to start the car.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
Andyjacko1985

Post by Andyjacko1985 »

I've got a clamp on ammeter arriving today to do exactly that, start pulling fuses and see if anything obvious reduces the draw. I think we'd last used the car 2 or 3 days ago so enough time for it to drop the battery to a level that it wouldn't start the car. The glove box is the one bulb I hadn't thought to check so I'll have a look at that.