Forward Emergency Braking system light - is it an MOT issue?

ICE, Equipment, Options
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

From viewtopic.php?t=4457#p41415 I find:

sensor.JPG

... so that confirms that the sensor is in the bumper not the grille, and since it's had a new grille perhaps this is a sign of an accident involving more than just the grille?

I'd check very carefully around the front end to see what else apart from the sensor may have been damaged.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)

Qashowner

Post by Qashowner »

Forward emergency braking system is, I would think, a safety feature of the car and if it is not working with a light on the dash board indicating so, I think would fail the MoT
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

gloucester wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:35 am But it's not one of those categories...
It does autonomously operate the ABS system but I'm not sure the DOT has caught up with all technology yet.
Last edited by calnorth on Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

sensor2.JPG

(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

The radar sensor referred to is a Bosch unit and as we know ..fails. Apart from that its been the subject of a number of software updates.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
DevsAd
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by DevsAd »

Many thanks for all the comments, and I have read the other threads regarding this issue and some of the problems caused by it actually 'working' - but at the wrong time!

To answer Dave and Mike, this is a CatN car, and the grille, bumper, bonnet and both headlamps have been replaced. I am aware of the 'what else could be lurking' scenario, but I am fairly clued-up in making sure I ask the right questions, and also that Cat 'N' is quite different to other Cats.

What is needed to restore the FEB system in this case, I'm not sure - whether the actual 'radar' unit is still missing, or whether it just hasn't been set up by Nissan afterwards. I can confirm this. But, my personal take on this feature is, no other car I've ever owned has had FEB, and I wouldn't consider it family-neglect of any type for my next car not to have it too! I am not choosing this car for it's amazing safety features; I'm choosing it because it's a good car at the right price - and it's generally as safe as any other car. I also understand that FEB can be deactivated at will, so that also suggests it clearly isn't in the same safety league as seat belts and anti-lock brakes. If my next car doesn't have FEB, I won't be losing sleep over it.

I'd be therefore happy to buy the car at the right price without this function, provided it doesn't mean it won't pass another MOT.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

DevsAd, I have absolutely no problems it is your decision and as normal most members here just try to advise on the possibilities. Correct there are a lot of autos around without this system but I can assure you it does work and has saved us twice in our J11A due to idiots, so ours is still ON - I hope you get the QQ and it is sorted out Dave 😉
My question is will it fail the MOT, as the QQ was manufactured with the System working although it can be switched OFF, does it still have to function - just interested for the UK ?
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

As I said - your money your choice - and I wish you all the best.
For what it’s worth, my system has saved me from a collision with a car with faulty brake lights doing heavy braking on a national speed limit road
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
DevsAd
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by DevsAd »

Thanks, both - I do understand and really appreciate what you are saying.

It was never a consideration for me in my next choice of car that it should have FEB. My current C4 Picasso doesn't have it, and neither do most (all?) of the other cars I've been considering as a replacement - including a number of QQs. This is possibly the first QQ I've looked at which had a high enough spec for it to be included, but - being frank - other issues such as overall condition, mileage and service history are deciders for me - FEB is just not.

The only way the presence of FEB affects my decision on this car is - you've guessed it! - will it fail the MOT if it isn't repaired! Coupled with - how much will it cost to sort?
malvern_man

Post by malvern_man »

DevsAd wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:01 pm Thanks, both - I do understand and really appreciate what you are saying.

It was never a consideration for me in my next choice of car that it should have FEB. My current C4 Picasso doesn't have it, and neither do most (all?) of the other cars I've been considering as a replacement - including a number of QQs. This is possibly the first QQ I've looked at which had a high enough spec for it to be included, but - being frank - other issues such as overall condition, mileage and service history are deciders for me - FEB is just not.

The only way the presence of FEB affects my decision on this car is - you've guessed it! - will it fail the MOT if it isn't repaired! Coupled with - how much will it cost to sort?

Why don't you just go and have a word with your local MOT station, I'm sure they'll know if it will pass or fail.
2020 (70 Plate) 1.3 DiG-T 140 ~ 6 Speed Manual ~ Tekna+ in Pearl Black.
2022 (22 Plate) BMW X5 40i xDrive M Sport in Phytonic Blue.