Forward Emergency Braking system light - is it an MOT issue?

ICE, Equipment, Options
DevsAd
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by DevsAd »

Hi everyone.

A QQ I'm considering buying (2014) model had a replacement grille, and the seller informs me the 'radar' light - which I presume is the FEB system - remains lit. I understand this is normal - if it's deactivated or faulty, the light will stay on.
Is this an MOT issue in any way? I mean, if I don't actually want to have it fixed, is that ok?!

Thanks.

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

DevsAd, welcome to the Forum. Out here in Germany for our TÜV everything that is installed in a vehicle from the Manufacturer has to Work & Function correctly. I believe you will find the same situation in the UK (MOT Fail) and you are talking about FEB which must be a Safety Issue, so think about yourself and the Family and get it fixed - Dave 🤨
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

DevsAd wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:26 am Hi everyone.

A QQ I'm considering buying (2014) model had a replacement grille, and the seller informs me the 'radar' light - which I presume is the FEB system - remains lit. I understand this is normal - if it's deactivated or faulty, the light will stay on.
Is this an MOT issue in any way? I mean, if I don't actually want to have it fixed, is that ok?!

Thanks.
I'd be asking myself why it isn’t working.
What accident damage is lurking unseen.
And then wondering what else they hadn’t done properly which might affect the car and/or its performance and safety.
Then I’d start looking for a different car.

it's your money and your choice but it’s already problematic and you haven’t bought it yet.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

If there is any warning light on the dashboard, I believe it will fail the MoT https://conversation.which.co.uk/motori ... ar-safety/
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

You state: "A QQ I'm considering buying (2014) model had a replacement grille, and the seller informs me the 'radar' light - which I presume is the FEB system - remains lit."

The Forward Emergency Braking system, as I understand it, works off the camera on the windscreen not any radar in the grille. The grille doesn't have any active components in it. Hence the light remaining on is a different issue.

Would someone else care to corroborate or correct me? EDIT - check DaveBerlin's erudite rejoinder below

Also I'm not sure whether it's an MoT fail but it's potentially an insurance invalidation risk and would need to be declared to your insurer as a "modification". Anyone like to comment on that?
Last edited by gloucester on Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Gloucester : “The Forward Emergency Braking system, as I understand it, works off the camera on the windscreen not any radar in the grille. The grille doesn't have any active components in it. Hence the light remaining on is a different issue.
Would someone else care to corroborate or correct me?”

My Comment : I would assume what is being referred to is not the Camera but the Radar “Sensor” that is behind the Grille and this works together with the Camera. I had a problem with this Sensor on our J11A and was told to make sure the Sensor area was always clean. I think now it is called AEB - Dave 😉
If you have a Manual for the J11 take a look at page 5.40.......

81A0F37D-552E-4490-A7A0-E8BF19AD96B4.jpeg

Just a few facts for information : There has been problems with this System and raised Law Suits in the US.

“Nissan’s Forward Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection uses a front camera and radar technology to detect obstructions or pedestrians that are directly in front of the Nissan. The advanced systems uses a variety of factors to determine whether or not a collision is possible, but if the system determines that there may be a collision, it will give the driver audio and visual cues to warn the driver that preventative actions may need to be taken. If the driver maneuver out of the way or hit the brakes, the system will apply an emergency brake and again send the driver audio and visual alerts. At this point, if the driver still hasn’t taken preventative action and the system determines that the risk of the collision is high, the system will take matters into its own hands and forcefully apply the brakes automatically.”

“Many Nissan vehicles use a distance sensor or radar sensor on the front of the vehicle as part of a driver assistance system. These systems include Forward Collision Warning, Forward Emergency Braking, Intelligent Cruise Control, Distance Control Assist, and others. In order for this sensor to function correctly, the lens must be unrestricted (no dirt, stains or other obstructions). On several Nissan models, the sensor is just behind the bumper fascia, which means that the bumper fascia in front of the sensor must be clean of any dirt or stains or any other material that might be on the bumper.”
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Interesting - but the radar isn't part of the grille is it? I though the later J11Bs had a redesigned flat badge to take the ProPILOT radar.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -at-an-mot
Under Brakes is this check:

"The MILs or dashboard warning lights will also be checked for the ABS, ESC, electronic park brake and brake fluid warning lights".

So if that lamp won't go off they could fail it on ABS related control or add a warning? Dunno.... :roll:

The AEB/FEB radar sensor is offset on the driver side front chassis point - a stable mount. Its not mounted on any front removable part like grille/wings/bumper. Its mounted on the bumper reinforcement/energy absorption bar...something like that. Daves pic shows its placement sunk back...and on the bumper support bar.

I think the camera in the grille is part of all around view.

For Info: Nissan AEB NCAP Test

Last edited by calnorth on Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

But it's not one of those categories...