Forward Emergency Braking system light - is it an MOT issue?

ICE, Equipment, Options
DevsAd
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by DevsAd »

Lol - good idea!

I need to book in my C4 very soon in any case :-)

Cheers.

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Its certainly not an absolute requirement....yet. However, if its fitted it could be a test issue because it triggers the ABS system to apply the brakes. As mentioned above a visit to an MOT garage might be useful. They either test the warning lamp function or not.

Its a problem really for much of the electronics that controls the vehicles dynamic performance. A standard MOT tester cannot thoroughly test it. And I'm not convinced the Nissan dealer can either simply because I cannot verify their test strategy....no detailed procedural and related documentation available. Diagnostics, Test and Repair these days is about black box changing.....and very costly.

The first level of confidence in AEB is whether it can be reliably enabled and disabled. This system has notoriety (bad history)
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
DevsAd

Post by DevsAd »

Thanks again.

To clarify some confusion from me earlier on - it's the bumper that was replaced (along with the bonnet and headlamps) and not the grill.

I've had a look at what's involved in the setting up process at a dealer, and it involves targets, careful measurements, not wandering accidentally into the test area, and a computer!

My regular MOT station has confirmed that a U/S FEB is not a test fail.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

DevsAd, you are Lucky then that the fault is not an MOT failure. Do not think I am getting pushy but I found this article from “What Car” and thought it might be of interest, it actually states in mid-2022 FEB / AEB has to be included in new vehicles - Dave 😉

“That’s why the European Commission has decided to make AEB mandatory on all new cars from mid-2022. As part of a suite of new safety improvements voted on in 2018, it is introducing new crash test requirements, the mandatory installation of driver assistance systems, including AEB with pedestrian and cyclist detection, overridable intelligent speed assistance and lane-keeping assistance systems.”

What is AEB and how does it work? | What Car? - https://www.whatcar.com/news/what-is-ae ... work/n3283
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

DevsAd wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:37 pm Thanks again.

To clarify some confusion from me earlier on - it's the bumper that was replaced (along with the bonnet and headlamps) and not the grill.

I've had a look at what's involved in the setting up process at a dealer, and it involves targets, careful measurements, not wandering accidentally into the test area, and a computer!

My regular MOT station has confirmed that a U/S FEB is not a test fail.
Its a fair old mess about as with camera setup...the very costly business of gadgets on these cars.

Diagnostics often states that such systems fail safe. The AEB/FEB system didn't in the US at initial deployment and I think got Nissan into some trouble. We saw quite a few unexpected heavy braking events reported on this site. Apparently improved with various software updates. My 2017 QQ flings odd warnings at me in weird places...I'm very sceptical about this system and against mandatory application.

Manufacturers need the system for their driver less type cars of course.....
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
DevsAd

Post by DevsAd »

All fair comment, Dave - thank you.

Yes, all these early options will soon become standard. When it's 'standard' fitment, I fully imagine it'll also be MOT assessed. Not sure it'll be a retrospective check for what was an option, tho', but we'll see (a bit like not having to retrospectively fit seat belts!)

I'm also not against having it set up at some point - just didn't want it nobbling the next MOT.

Thanks all.